Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Another custom 4x4 for Statler Toyota..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2017, 10:52 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Another custom 4x4 for Statler Toyota..

Well, I know its been done before and other people have done the recreation on several different platforms but I couldnt resist. Pro-Line did a very good job of doing theirs also. Its not going to be in as high detail as per say Imthatguys Toyota builds ,but I figure give it a shot, so here I go.

Had the day off due to incliment weather (snow) so I figured it was a good time to clean up the basement shop..

Now to the build.. there is still some more things to get but I will list it all of them best I can.. (these are just all must haves to get the full look, no technical details of the truck.)

Scx10 II kit version

Pro-line 1985 Hilux sr5 body
RcNerds Sr5 Grille and Radiator with lenses
RcNerds rear lights with lenses
Rcnerds rear window slider
RcNerds tailgate handle and both door handles
Rc4wd Tf2 Mojave rubber mirrors (same style as this generation Yota, but not the same as used in the film. I cant have those big ones they used out on the trail even though they are available from Rcnerds.
Rc4wd Windshield wipers off the Tf2 Mojave interior parts tree.
Knights Customs Twin roll bar
Knights C. Front and rear tubular bumpers
3x6mm tap screws
Tamiya X-26 Clear orange
Tamiya X- 27 Clear red
Tamiya Ps-5 Black
Tamiya Ps-34 Bright Silver
Tamiya Ps-6 Yellow
Krylon primer
Sand paper various grit
Mirror Tape
All necessary L.E.D.s
Rc4wd Hella 3000 Light buckets (4)
Fluorescent yellow lense film
All necessary decals to get the exact look.
Theres more things to add along and need to be ordered or bought at Lhs such as wheels and other things, but these are mostly just the essentials to pull of the replica..

I have been waiting to get this thing off the ground just haven't had time with work and my 1 y/o daughter who gets attention over all else. So I'm taking advantage of the snow day.
Will try to keep this updated as I go along.

Last edited by MattySlimz1987; 04-05-2017 at 07:47 AM.
MattySlimz1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2017, 08:55 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Another custom 4x4 for Statler Toyota..

Looks like it will be a sick build! I love BTTF, I did one of these too with a Tamiya HiLux body. Can't wait to see this SR5
marcod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:33 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

It was a beautiful day out today for the most part, so I went outside and trimmed up the body.
The sun went down before I could finish the cab but the bed is trimmed 100%.
If anybody was wondering, yes this body is thick. With the 1 inch sheet PL uses and this cab having a low roof line and straight corners, the lexan stays thick throughout the entire shell(s) so it did a number on my Duratrax curved scissors. Used probably 5 or so #11 blades to get it all down flush and smooth. Very little sandpaper was used.
Thinking the bed was done as far as trimming went, I may have to do some more slicing around the connection area between the cab and bed for the spur cover.
These Knights "totally" tubular front bumpers Mr. James put together are great. Fitment is on point and detail is top notch with included light covers.(Lenses were separate) Going to just prime and paint these as the surface of this material seemed to be an ideal choice for this application, coincidence?
Waiting for the shipment of the RcNerds 3d printed parts to come in and get started on those. Special thanks to him for development and production for the masses to use..They will probably take more time as they are a different surface material. It says polished and by the looks of Mr. RcNerds pictures on his build thread, that is the case. Going to search the basement for the highest grit sandpaper laying around, but doubt I have what I need which will be 400 and up grit. Might have to pick some up..

So slowly but surely im getting myself closer to this.

Also note to self/others steer clear of the "Fiskars" brand #11 blades at your local Wal-Mart. They are not nearly as good as Xacto or Revell blades that I have. They are way cheaper ordering a 100 pack off ebay stateside. I figured the Fiskar blades would be good because as a kid they made the best school supplies and they're scissors were higher quality in my eyes compared to the other kids at school.

Last edited by MattySlimz1987; 03-20-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:36 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcod13 View Post
Looks like it will be a sick build! I love BTTF, I did one of these too with a Tamiya HiLux body. Can't wait to see this SR5
That' totally rad! A link to it would be awesome, would love to check it out!
**Update** subbed to your thread on it already

Last edited by MattySlimz1987; 03-20-2017 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:46 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

The lights that I bought were not the detailed versions that cost $10 more (2 lights per pack) The only thing different I saw in the ones that were detailed was mirror illumination in the actual housing and maybe pre glued lenses with prestuck decals on the covers, I'm not using that brand (in real 1:1 world) cover anyways. Why would I want to spend $20 extra for that, when I can do it myself with some .85 cent mirror tape!?
Trace and cut

Finished. Not perfect but you wont notice when the lenses are installed.

Time to paint the light covers.

Finished light covers, now they are KC's.. the color match turned out almost exact. Very pleased with that, as I was worried about it not matching. Just one light coat of Tamiya's PS-6..

Just a quick mock up on the roll bar only. Not ready to mount them permanently yet so I just used some 3m double faced. I'm not losing valuable sleep just for an unpainted full body mock up.

This Shapeways black strong and flexible material thats used scares me more and more every time I go to pick it up... not really expecting these to hold up to our type of punishment, but on the contrary I do not intend to wheel hard while using this body anyway. If and when do finally start tearing it up, I'll be sure that all these exact peices Knights created are already available in its metal form they plan on releasing, until than this body will probably sit on the shelf with only occasional mild trail/rock crawling. We'll see how that turns out..

Last edited by MattySlimz1987; 03-29-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:11 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Very slow progress on McFlys 4x4.. but progress is progress right?A shot of clear on all the lenses from Shapeways to get that "whiting" scuff the machine leaves behind..
Seems I have a visitor..

Definitley helps..

More to come.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:24 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I hate painting, but very rewarding in the end..

I'm very impressed by the way RcMart has stepped up they're shipping time from China, 4 bussiness days! Big selection for Crawlers to drift cars. Last time I ordered stuff from them a year or so ago, it took forever to arrive.The "Wrap-Up Next" sunroof was a great addition to the truck. Next thing to do is window tint from Wrap-Up. This should be fun! Sarcasm..

Last edited by MattySlimz1987; 04-10-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:47 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Getting close... still some more things to put on from the parts box wipers, mirrors, etc. I mounted the separate grille and bumper (not tubular bumper) with m3 2.6 screws. Did not want to really do it that way, but there was really no other choice since I jumped the gun and cut the lexan bumper peice off of the body. Since I can not find ANY other person besides the developer of this grille and bumper with a mock up on the shell, I just did it this way. If I would have waited and seen RcNerds final product of how he mounted the grille and bumper, I probably would have went that route. All in all, the screw mounted bumper gives the body rigidity in the end and will hold up to more abuse, I'm guessing it will be fine.

Still deciding which wheel and tire combo to put on, may use some 1.9 SSD Assassins standard width with the small 1.9 PL BFG All Terrain.. maybe try out the new BFG Krawler T/A from Pro-Line because I'm curious to see how it stacks up against Axials version of the same tire. Not sure how much difference in the sizes are for the Axial and PL version of that one. Probably go look it up now. If I put the invoice in today for a set, should have them by the middle of this coming week. But still cant make up my mind!!

Last edited by MattySlimz1987; 04-15-2017 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:08 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Yesterday I got around to doing some more things to the house and got a chance to work on this build some more, I didn't realize it had been a month since a post was put up. One of the contributors to that, was some of this body's parts were scattered in between a box in my bedroom and down in the basement/laundryroom/workshop. Sometimes I have to keep an eye on the little one but also like to keep myself occupied and use a little work table in there. This isn't a good idea because things get misplaced and disorganized, I even found some parts to other RC's that were ordered lonng ago! Still have some rummaging to do.

The BangGood body post's that are marked to fit Axial's do the job. Only thing that had to be done was bust the other posts off the parts tree put them in and screw in the magnet cups with some M2 screws. Just the front is going be magnetized, the rear has too much funny stuff going on with its little hump back there. Not concerned much with it, some scale stuff can cover up the clips/tabs.

The height it sits at is kinda high, but the rear has yet to be cut out (only for the little post's). Adjustments can always be made utilizing a droop set up or something similar.

The mirrors and wipers off the TF2 Mojave parts tree's go well with it.

For all the lighting, just going to keep it real simple and use 1 9v battery to power them all. Roll bar still has to be fully mounted in.The interior from Dinky RC "honcho version" is also waiting for details from RcNerds. Still a lot to do...

Last edited by MattySlimz1987; 05-21-2017 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:28 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

You might want to cut off the body's bumper so you can lower it a touch. You don't see a lot of trucks with two bumpers.
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:43 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
You might want to cut off the body's bumper so you can lower it a touch. You don't see a lot of trucks with two bumpers.
Thank you for the tip sir. I really wanted to use Mr. Knights version of the grille but I wanted it to be replicated as possible to the actual truck in the film. If you see in the picture they left it on there. Might be a challenge getting it lower. But out here on the east coast ya kinda want a little height for creek crossings and such. Any other suggetions are welcome with great appreciation.

Going to use the Knights grille on a 4-Runner. I know he made two versions. A 2 slot and 3, but the 84-85 4-Runners had the 2 slot. Hope this one turns out good.

Looking forward to your next masterpeice you put together with PL's new Toyota.

Last edited by MattySlimz1987; 05-21-2017 at 06:46 PM.

Another custom 4x4 for Statler Toyota.. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toyota Sunrader 4x4 58_Willys General Scale Talk 7 05-27-2019 04:44 PM
92 TOYOTA 4x4 sas oahuzuki Micro Scale Rigs 24 04-13-2014 09:57 AM
Toyota Hilux 4x4 1BadJeepBruiser 1.9 Scale Rigs 92 08-19-2008 08:30 AM
1985 toyota 4x4 romulus22 Chit Chat 16 03-10-2007 12:05 PM