Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Difference between scx10 2 rtr and kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2016, 10:43 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Difference between scx10 2 rtr and kit

What are the difference with the kit and rtr? How did you like your rtr? Same goes for the kit owners if you own one. I'm just curious as I might be interested in buying 1 soon. . Not now but soon. I've heard of the new trans vs the old trans difference but I can't find any "DIRECT" answers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
bro_die is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2016, 10:49 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Difference between scx10 2 rtr and kit

I have had both. I like the lower gear reduction in the kit trans better than the old scx10 trans. I liked it so much in my kit scx10 II that I installed it in the rtr based scx10 II I had... I will get another scx10 II soon and it will positively be the kit version. the only differences are the trans, suspension and steering links, tire compound, and scale stuff on the body...

Last edited by allanon1965; 12-03-2016 at 10:52 AM.
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 10:54 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Exactly what I was looking for. So they sell the parts separately?

Old 12-03-2016, 11:43 AM   #4

I have the rtr. I just put the kit new trans in my rtr. Go to Amain and parts list and buy the corecct part. They all fit. And buy shorty drive shaft set also. It's a good build.
hiflying12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 11:45 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Cool good info. So what is the difference in trans anyways?

Old 12-03-2016, 12:00 PM   #6

The rtr has ax10 trans. The kit has the scx10ii 2 speed trans and transfercase 4x4 drive shaft. Center drive line in v' offset drive line.:
Old 12-03-2016, 12:02 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Hmmmmm. Winder if you'll spend more if buying the rtr and buying parts or just straight kit and provide everything else that's needed.

Old 12-03-2016, 12:07 PM   #8

The kit is the best buy. My rtr cost more. Kit has all the good stuff.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:15 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I second the kit...rtr you will end up changing the motor and servo at the very least if you stay brushed...and the esc as well if you go brushless
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 01:25 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

rtr is better I do not care what anyone says i have built alot of kits,for some reason most fell if you did not buy the kit you have little balls will i would put my rtr to any ones kits and clean house
Skyjacker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 12:11 AM   #11

Part #'s ??

QUOTE=hiflying12;5598775]I have the rtr. I just put the kit new trans in my rtr. Go to Amain and parts list and buy the corecct part. They all fit. And buy shorty drive shaft set also. It's a good build. [/QUOTE]
NorCal69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 07:50 AM   #12
RCC Addict

I have one RTR and two kits.

The kit has nicer links, better shocks, and the new style transmission/transfer case with all steel gears. It also comes with the clear body and a whole bunch of body accessories like roof rack, etc.

While the kit links are better, they do use the same rod ends as the RTR, which has constantly been a complaint of mine on any Axial product. They start to get sloppy after a few runs. SSD makes rod ends that fit the stock links though. The newer kits have aluminum shock bodies and machined pistons. The first batch or two of kits had molded pistons that you had to cut off the parts tree so they were not as smooth. Transmission is kind of a personal preference...The old style trans in the RTR has plastic gears, but they can be replaced with machined steel gears fairly easily for ~$35. The new kit transmission has all steel gears. I'm running brushless on one of these transmissions and have not had an issue, but a few people have busted the transfer case gears. SSD makes a nice set of HD gears for about $20.

I'd pick the one with the transmission that you want and buy that one. The kit transmission setup is pretty expensive to piece together so if that is the transmission you want, you are better off to start with the kit.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:47 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Pretty much what Col Sanders just said in his post. The RTR has all the electronics, and Minus a Servo issue the electronics are fairly decent. By the Servo issue I mean that the stock servo in the rtr has one gear that is plastic, but that can be remedied with a $10 E-Bay purchase to replace that gear with a metal gear. As for the shocks, even people with the kit, most tend to replace them regardless. Also with the links, plenty of options all over the place to change them out to beefier links later on down the line if you go with an RTR

So, it depends, do you want something you can just open the box and run and doesn't have the newer Transmission and links? With the Kit, you have to assemble everything and also deal with trimming and painting of a lexan body, and than you have to go about choosing electronics as well as gluing tires.
malickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 02:50 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

^^ pm'd re:servo gear.

Sub'd this thread as it is answering all my scx vs. scxii questions. Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
CR4NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 03:29 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR4NK View Post
^^ pm'd re:servo gear.

Sub'd this thread as it is answering all my scx vs. scxii questions. Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Answered mine too. My kit should be here tomorrow.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:29 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyjacker56 View Post
rtr is better I do not care what anyone says i have built alot of kits,for some reason most fell if you did not buy the kit you have little balls will i would put my rtr to any ones kits and clean house
I don't know about all that, but if you're the kinda person that likes to tinker with and modify everything - so, 95% of people on this board - then IMHO you're doing yourself a disservice by buying the RTR, and missing out on the fun of getting to put it together.

Nothing wrong with going the RTR route if you just want something to bash around, if you've already built an SCX10-II and just want a back-up (rather than another full-blown 10hr+ project), or if you're buying it for a younger kid/non-mechanically-inclined SO to mess with.

Even if you've built other cars, its still beneficial to build this one because it helps you understand this car from the inside out. When something breaks, you'll be way better prepared to fix it.

Again, not shitting on RTRs because they certainly have their place. But if you're on the fence, Kit is definitely the best way to go.

Last edited by ajsmcs; 12-19-2016 at 06:13 PM.
ajsmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:17 PM   #17

I'm relatively new to RC Crawling. I currently have a low end WLToys 12428, but am dying for the SCX10 II. I'm thinking of getting the kit, but not 100% sure about the electronics. Does this combo sound good to you guys? Combo Contents: 1/10 SCX10 II 2000 Jeep Cherokee 4WD Kit Ultimate Combo | TowerHobbies.com

thanks,
-Rob
RobMart3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:42 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMart3 View Post
I'm relatively new to RC Crawling. I currently have a low end WLToys 12428, but am dying for the SCX10 II. I'm thinking of getting the kit, but not 100% sure about the electronics. Does this combo sound good to you guys? Combo Contents: 1/10 SCX10 II 2000 Jeep Cherokee 4WD Kit Ultimate Combo | TowerHobbies.com

thanks,
-Rob
You can do better.

Hobbywing 1080 is a better esc than the Axial AE-5 and you can pick one up for ~$45. The Tactic TSX-45 is not a good servo at all. They have low torque and are not durable. You can pick up a good used Hitec servo here (7955, 7950, 7954) for ~$50-60 or buy a new Savox 1230 for ~$70. There are a few other options in that price range as well.

A 55t motor is going to be very slow. 35t is a better option. The Axial motors will work. Tekin 35t motors are better, but cost a bit more.

The Tactic radio gear is decent, but you can most likely buy it used here in the classifieds for less. I normally sell them for $25-30 shipped.

For batteries a lot of us normally use Turnigy. They are cheap and work fine. I'm not a charger guru, but the Duratrax chargers normally get pretty good reviews. I can tell you this...Having a dual (or more) port charger is VERY nice. Just be sure to pay attention to charge ratings on AC if thats what you plan on using most of the time.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:30 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Col_Sanders said it all.Servo sucks,55t to slow.I am using savox 1230 myselg.Monster torque.....and for some extra bucks,get some beadlock wheels
Traulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:46 PM   #20

Thanks Guys! Perfect. I'm learning more every day.

For me, the biggest thing with deciding between the RTR and the kit is the transmission. Is the transmission in the kit a two speed or only two speed capable?

-Rob
RobMart3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Difference between scx10 2 rtr and kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Difference between the Exo kit and RTR? Big Daddy Non Crawler RC's 7 08-26-2012 12:44 AM
wraith rtr/builder kit , ax10 ridgecrest or scx10 kit hocho/dingo xC Pirates Newbie General 9 06-09-2012 06:54 AM
Difference in RTR and Kit rctoyguy Axial Wraith 5 05-24-2012 06:44 PM
Difference in rtr and kit scx10? Zachary Axial SCX-10 17 05-01-2012 06:46 AM
Steering difference between Honcho and Scx10 Kit Skullsplitter Axial SCX-10 5 07-06-2010 02:48 AM