Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Complete Newbie - need help with kit!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2018, 09:40 PM   #1

Default Complete Newbie - need help with kit!!!

Brand new to crawlers, coming from monster truck and buggy world. I'm going to buy a SCx10 ii kit and I need advice on electronics.

Here's my plan:
Motor: HH Puller Pro 540 Stubby 2700kv
ESC: Castle creations Mamba Monster X
Servo: SAVOX 1210SG
RX/TX: Flysky FS-GT3C (because I already have it and use it on everything else)

I'd love to hear some critique of these selections. I don't mind spending the money as long as its on the right parts. Anything I'm forgetting about or needs to be upgraded immediately?

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Dochusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2018, 11:24 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Complete Newbie - need help with kit!!!

Looks good...

Some 12.9 screws for the diff lockers, marine grease for gears and asociated green slime for the shocks and you are good to go.

Be prepared to break stuff, that is a high power setup.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:47 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

MMX is a huge, heavy esc. The Mamba X can handle the job with a much smaller profile.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Shawns303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:56 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

I would run a HH TrailMaster BLE Pro ESC, If running with 2cell go with a HH BLS HV500v2 and a BEC. With 3cell go with HH BLS SHV500v2...The 3cell set up will eliminate the need for an external BEC.
myjrbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:41 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

If you want the Auxiliary Wire option that Castle offers, get the new Mamba X, much smaller than the Mamba Monster X, definitely can handle the Stubby PP. The Stubby is a great choice for the SCX10, it is as powerful as a good name brand full 540-sized brushless, but in a shorter and lighter package. The "Standard" 540 PP is the real beast, not needed for a 1.9" rig, IMHO. If you don't need the Aux Wire functionality* than the HH TrailMaster ESC is an excellent choice as Holmes has provided it with some nice crawler profiles that make it a great performer that has one very nice feature missing from CC ESCs - the ability to make it practically silent when running. That's all I'd consider to be lacking from the new CC Mamba X - silence. Unfortunately you will be dealing with some electronic tones from the Mambas. Some of them are warning tones that can be turned off in programming - but not all. BTW - The HH TrailMaster is a modded Castle Mamba Max Pro that is waterproofed.

* (from Castle's site):
AUXILIARY WIRE
Some of our newer speed controllers allow users to make on-the-fly adjustments through the AUX wire enabled in Castle Link. Once you have selected an AUX wire function, that setting can then be tuned from your transmitter while driving. Torque control, max throttle, max brake and drag brake adjustments are a sampling of the available modes. This real-time tuning allows you to quickly and easily fine-tune your system without having to end your run to make the changes.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:23 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Solid choices, but as was mentioned the regular Mamba is more than capable for this rig - Monster X isn't needed.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:23 AM   #7

Choose the Mamba X over the Mamba Monster X. The Mamba Monster X is for bigger, heavier rigs. The Mamba X will run an SCX10 II without any problems.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:55 AM   #8

So if I want to stay away from BEC - I can use Mamba X or the 3 cell HH if I’m reading all this correctly? I’d like the set up as clean and simple as possible while still getting everything I’ll need and not wishing I’d spent a few more dollars up front later. Also I’ve had conflicting thoughts on the stubby vs regular motor. Any other thoughts from anyone?
Old 04-02-2018, 11:10 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I run a 540 4 pole brushless in my 2.2 trail rig, and consistently break parts, lately its driveshafts and cvd's. The power is absolutely explosive when I wat it to be and was eating mud yesterdy due to the roost from the truck. I have backed the throttle down to 80% and added 30% expo to try to tame the power a little but I still popped a driveshaft yesterday.

That said a stubby will give you loads of power.

I have run a HH BRXL for a couple years with no bec for a couple years now, as long as you dont go over 400 oz servo you should be Ok. But a external bec is a good safety for any crawler, taking a load of the esc on a very demanding job, powering a amp hungry servo.

Bec Is recomended! I like castle myself....

Oh and since a thread is worthless without pic's

Last edited by lonleycreeper; 04-02-2018 at 11:25 AM.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:20 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Mamba x has an 8 amp bec, have not browned it out even with my 46kg servo!

Old 04-02-2018, 11:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dochusker View Post
So if I want to stay away from BEC - I can use Mamba X or the 3 cell HH if I’m reading all this correctly? I’d like the set up as clean and simple as possible while still getting everything I’ll need and not wishing I’d spent a few more dollars up front later. Also I’ve had conflicting thoughts on the stubby vs regular motor. Any other thoughts from anyone?
You do not need an external BEC when using the Mamba X. If you do then you are doing something wrong. That's my 2 cents.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:01 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Seriously - straight from JRH, a Stubby is perfect for the SCX10.2!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Seriously - straight from JRH, a Stubby is perfect for the SCX10.2!
Awesome. Thanks. I’ve never built a kit so this is all new to me. I’m assuming JRH is John Holmes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
Looks good...

Some 12.9 screws for the diff lockers, marine grease for gears and asociated green slime for the shocks and you are good to go.

Be prepared to break stuff, that is a high power setup.
I'm good on the crease and slime. Can you explain the 12.9 screws for diff lockers?

Last edited by THX_138; 04-08-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:05 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Awesome setup.I would also recomend vanquish top shaft,it takes all the in-out play
Traulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 04:30 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dochusker View Post
I'm good on the crease and slime. Can you explain the 12.9 screws for diff lockers?
They constantly break. I would just pony up for the keyed Boom Racing keyed lockers and fogetaboutit.

Old 04-03-2018, 04:13 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

If using the gt3c I would recommend doing the software hack on it so can use as a 9ch receiver. Can then still use 3ch on other trucks and make a 9ch one for the crawler. Plenty of info on Google about this. Can do it for under 10£ then buy a hobby wing reciever and jobs done. 3ch isn't enough imo
MrLee1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Complete Newbie - need help with kit!!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Complete newbie needing advise Crappie1 Newbie General 20 12-15-2016 02:47 PM
New JK kit build for a complete newbie, HELP!! gtione Axial SCX-10 10 03-27-2013 04:14 PM
COMPLETE newbie Passenger0 Newbie General 12 01-19-2011 01:47 PM
Complete Stock Clod Axle Kit $59.99 Per Kit *RCP Crawlers* & Some Other Cool Stuff Rockpiledriver RCP Crawlers 0 05-22-2007 07:49 PM