Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Building the 10.2 Kit, any tips to consider before building

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2017, 03:59 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Building the 10.2 Kit, any tips to consider before building

So I just got back from the RPP Jamboree and I'm a proud new owned of a SCX10.2 kit which I won in the raffle against the odds, one person who shall remain nameless (cough, squiggly line, cough) bought literally hundreds of tickets and won nearly half of everything else, people would have got angry if he had won this too I think.

Anyway one of my friends suggested I look at the "things to do before you build thread" which I've seen for some other trucks like the Ascender but I'm not seeing anything like it for the 10.2.

So are there any things that need to be addressed before final assembly?

Or is it good to go as is?

I know there could be the usual upgrade the drive shafts kind of stuff but I'm more interested in hearing whether diffs need shimming or other crucial non "mod" related things need addressing.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2017, 04:39 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Building the 10.2 Kit, any tips to consider before building

The gearbox build is interesting if following the instructions. Follow the pictures when building as in my manual it had the spacer listed incorrectly. Will make sense when you get to that stage. I do believe picture shows long spacer and writing claims it's the little one. Use the big one. Also one of the cogs can fit round both ways. One way binds the other doesn't so have a quick test spin before bolting together.
There is also a lot of play on the standard top shaft in the box. Vp do a nice shafts which eliminates this play.

I had to shim my diffs to get a nice fit but don't know if that was just me. I got one of the first kits in the UK so don't know if things have changed since.

I would also buy a cheap set of beadlocks if money is tight at the moment as the tyres are amazing for stock tyres and last well so don't want to glue them if you already are eyeing up some wheels

Apart from that it runs brilliant out of the box. Enjoy ;)
MrLee1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:17 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Yeah completed my first ever build today, and this kit goes together like Clockwork. Points jotted above yes the transmission needs care and testing before moving on, but otherwise it is a really well made, well thought out kit. I've made many plastic kits to National comp level so not a complete noob either.

I added Boomracing PHAT axles and have the stock tyres on GMADE rims. Stock shocks appear to be weeping as expected too.

Pic is prior to finishing the body.

Got axial wheel wells and proline interior to fit.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:24 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Yeah completed my first ever build today, and this kit goes together like Clockwork. Points jotted above yes the transmission needs care and testing before moving on, but otherwise it is a really well made, well thought out kit. I've made many plastic kits to National comp level so not a complete noob either.

I added Boomracing PHAT axles and have the stock tyres on GMADE rims. Stock shocks appear to be weeping as expected too.

Pic is prior to finishing the body.

Got axial wheel wells and proline interior to fit.

Finished. Sorry, only got a video so it's a still shot.

Haven't placed the magnets in the shell properly yet so the body is a little high.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:59 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Take your time cutting out the grill opening, gets very thin at the bottom.
Ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:15 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
Take your time cutting out the grill opening, gets very thin at the bottom.
Good point. I left mine until all painting done because the body seemed much stronger that way - there's a lot of handling during painting and final asembky.

The back however, is weak and my rear bumper (fender) cracked. I've glued a spare offcut of transparent lexan, but alas too late.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:11 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I had to add a shim (washer) to the outside of the input of the rear axel as durring forward motion the ring gear would pull in the pinion and cause bad wear, not an issue in front because its being pushed out. As far as the trans top shaft slop I put a pin thru the plastic spacer where the extra hole(ment for 2-speed) is and removed the in/out slop. The stock plastic pivot balls wear quickly adding slop to the suspension and steering. And what ever servo you go with I say get a low profile servo horn (I and others have good luck with racers edge clamping ones) or you will have the panhard bar hitting the servo horn during compression.
NitroDarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:41 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the replies!

I took a few shots while I was putting the tranny together. I ended up taking it apart a few times But i think i got it dialed in now.

The transmission gear in question has a slot that has a round bottom on one side and on the other side the slot has a square bottom.

To me it seemed to work better with the square end going into the pin.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote

Building the 10.2 Kit, any tips to consider before building - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Building a jk tips and tricks? bayareaaxial General Scale Talk 6 12-01-2010 08:01 AM
berg building tips herman712 Tennessee 1 02-19-2010 06:27 AM
Building a scale ax-10 and need tips celicaboy Newbie General 5 05-05-2008 05:46 PM
need tips for building aircruiser Newbie General 21 08-25-2007 01:57 AM
Tips on building a new chassis AdamF Tamiya Clod Buster 7 01-16-2005 08:19 PM