Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Suspension upgrade on my SCX10 2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2017, 10:57 AM   #1

Default Suspension upgrade on my SCX10 2

Hey fellas. I'm looking at upgrading my suspension on my SCX10 2 Cherokee. I have a leaky shock up front and it seems to bind back and forth so I think it may be broken inside. I'm very new to the RC world. I found a nice set of shocks on Ebay but I'm not sure if they're any good. The stock shocks on my rig are 90mms and these new ones are 110mms. Will I need to do any modification to make these work? I tried searching but the search button does not work. Anyone else having this issue? Thanks in advance.
https://m.ebay.ca/itm/Axial-SCX10-Je...AAAOSwo4pYl~so
Zrx1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2017, 11:26 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Suspension upgrade on my SCX10 2

You will find many different opinions on shock choice. I am sure the shocks you have picked out are fine, but you are going to increase your ride height by quite a bit with them. Which will also decrease your stability out on the rocks without adding some serious weight down low to make up for it. If you would like to keep your stock ride height, the best bang for the buck in my opinion is the Traxxas Ultra shocks. Part number tra3760a, which is the same length as your stock shocks, is a fantastic option. They come already assembled. Just add whatever weight oil you want, and go. I have had great luck with them. They never leak, and I haven't figured out how to break one yet. But I will keep trying. For around $12 to $13 a pair, you can't go wrong. That's just my 2 cents. Good luck and have fun, cause that's what it is all about.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
slickwill16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:40 AM   #3
RCC Addict

You're not the only one that had bad shocks on the 10.2, unfortunately Axial just continually has problems trying to make the stock shocks work. That said, I would avoid the 110mm shocks because you're going to lift the rig another 20mm and the springs have an unknown stiffness, which could be too stiff or too soft. I would sooner use something like the TRX-4 shocks, they're only around 90mm if I recall and I've used several sets of Traxxas aluminum bodied shocks and haven't been disappointed: TRX-4 Tactical Unit - SHOCKS (front rear dampers & Springs GTS Traxxas 82066-4 | eBay
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:53 AM   #4
SMW
Rock Stacker

Before you do anything determine if your shocks are just leaking or if they need repair. Take them apart and make sure the o ring is placed properly and then make sure you put a thin coat of shock grease ( green slime ) or even petroleum jelly on the orings and replace them. Refill with shock oil, bleed out the air bubbles and retighten them but do not overtighten them. Sometimes the shocks have not been properly built or have been over tightened which can cause leaks. Doing this costs very little and if you still have leaky shocks you at least have learned how the shocks are put together and how they work. I know shocks can be a pain at times but determine what the problem is and fix it if you can before just throwing hard earned money into a new shock that also could leak. Good luck and have fun learning how all the parts on your rc work !
SMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:22 PM   #5

Wow 13 dollars a pair? SOLD! is that off the Traxxas site? Do they come oiled already? Or I need to add the oil? I just came back from a run and noticed that my front shocks bottom out when the truck is just sitting there. That means my oil must of all leaked out?
Old 12-29-2017, 12:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMW View Post
Before you do anything determine if your shocks are just leaking or if they need repair. Take them apart and make sure the o ring is placed properly and then make sure you put a thin coat of shock grease ( green slime ) or even petroleum jelly on the orings and replace them. Refill with shock oil, bleed out the air bubbles and retighten them but do not overtighten them. Sometimes the shocks have not been properly built or have been over tightened which can cause leaks. Doing this costs very little and if you still have leaky shocks you at least have learned how the shocks are put together and how they work. I know shocks can be a pain at times but determine what the problem is and fix it if you can before just throwing hard earned money into a new shock that also could leak. Good luck and have fun learning how all the parts on your rc work !
This is something I plan on doing eventually. The one part on my dirt bike I won't take appart is my shocks because I'm scared to not know how they go back together. Maybe I can start with my RC shocks and then move up to my dirt bike. There must be posts on how to service shocks on here? Thanks for the tips guys
Old 12-29-2017, 12:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
You're not the only one that had bad shocks on the 10.2, unfortunately Axial just continually has problems trying to make the stock shocks work. That said, I would avoid the 110mm shocks because you're going to lift the rig another 20mm and the springs have an unknown stiffness, which could be too stiff or too soft. I would sooner use something like the TRX-4 shocks, they're only around 90mm if I recall and I've used several sets of Traxxas aluminum bodied shocks and haven't been disappointed: TRX-4 Tactical Unit - SHOCKS (front rear dampers & Springs GTS Traxxas 82066-4 | eBay
These will bolt right up to my SCX10 ?

Suspension upgrade on my SCX10 2 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suspension upgrade Crawlernoob73 Tamiya XC/CC01 5 12-10-2016 11:01 AM
Suspension upgrade Andyking Axial Wraith 2 11-13-2013 12:20 PM
What suspension upgrade next? HeavyG Axial SCX-10 6 04-08-2010 07:43 PM
Suspension Upgrade Easy Target Axial AX-10 Scorpion 5 07-09-2008 08:27 PM