Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Rek's Scale Trail Honcho

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2018, 09:40 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: Rek's Scale Trail Honcho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekreant View Post
July Update! Been out driving the truck and definitely playing into the upgrade addiction. In no particular order, here are all the big upgrades Ive made.

Here are my new SSD links, Vanquish servo horn, and Axial steel upper links. Also pictured are my SSD diamond pro axles which have the SSD hardened gears inside

Here are my Injora metal beadlocks, and inside are the Pro-line closed cell crawler foams as I mostly crawl next to a lake.

Got a Holmes HV500v2 servo, loving it!

Got an SSD low profile front bumper, saving up for a nice high quality winch to put in, or may take HeyOKs advice and put a scale cheap one and run a good servo winch behind it.

Bunch of nice parts here, got a HH Torquemaster pro 27t(540 can), a Hobbywing 1080, and a Castle waterproof BEC. Loving this ESC and motor combo, its smooth like budda! Also you may have noticed in some pics I got aluminum shock hoops by Hot racing as well. Nice and sturdy.

Here we have Team KNK's brass hex hubs with 10mm offset. Each hex weighs 8 grams for a total of 16g per axle. The offset is nice too allowing for a wider wheel base.

Last but not least is the Bowhouse RC servo / battery tray, paired with a brand new Gens Ace 3s! I caved and volted up and geared down. I think thats all for now, currently a lot of the scale stuff is off the body cause I weight it and it was about 10 oz of extra weight up high! Im working on 3d printing new replacements that are less dense to help with the weight. I really like the scale looks but I want the truck to perform well too. The conundrums of scale rock crawling!

PS: I have a set of supershafty MIPs coming in the mail too :P
Some nice upgrades! You have chosen wisely, young padawan ;)

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2018, 09:54 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

solid man. I can dig it.
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:31 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

The truck is worlds better than it was stock too, its just such a joy to drive, now if this dang heatwave would stop and let fall come I could get out to use it more!
Rekreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:43 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

I've barely run my honcho ii. Maybe a full battery has been run through it on the rock pile I have in the backyard just getting used to the differences between the original and the ii. Last night we went to play out back on the petrified dune and it browned out the esc, because of the heat I'm guessing. It had maybe 15 minutes of run time on 3s before this happened. I let it sit for 15 minutes then plugged it back in and it seemed alright but I called today and was asked to send them an email regarding the issue, they suspect it got too hot. I guess we will see how they respond to my email
Old 07-10-2018, 11:50 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by odomandr View Post
I've barely run my honcho ii. Maybe a full battery has been run through it on the rock pile I have in the backyard just getting used to the differences between the original and the ii. Last night we went to play out back on the petrified dune and it browned out the esc, because of the heat I'm guessing. It had maybe 15 minutes of run time on 3s before this happened. I let it sit for 15 minutes then plugged it back in and it seemed alright but I called today and was asked to send them an email regarding the issue, they suspect it got too hot. I guess we will see how they respond to my email
Id agree. Before I got the 1080 I was out at the lake, with a nice breeze mind you, in the 95F heat and was experiencing brown outs every 19-15 minutes. Though it was that hot today I did run it at full throttle for a good 10 minutes and the new motor / esc didnt even feel hot. at 42$ the 1080 runs laps around the ae-5, doesnt need a drink, and runs a few extra laps for good measure.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:29 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

im still running the ae2 on 2s on my original Honcho it has not ever overheated

Last edited by odomandr; 07-17-2018 at 10:36 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:56 AM   #27
Rock Crawler

Got these beauties in yesterday!

Old 07-17-2018, 10:36 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

you already assembled them? I just hung mine on the pegboard for future mind clearing sessions post forbidden twizzler. I am considering going further than I had planned with a brushless setup in my ii after the overheating. since I have the brushed torquemaster expert 21t in the OG Honcho I think i will jump up to 3s with it first to see how I like it but I grabbed the supershaftys for it also just in case. Thanks for pointing out when they came back in stock.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:09 AM   #29
Rock Crawler

Quote:
you already assembled them? I just hung mine on the pegboard for future mind clearing sessions post forbidden twizzler. I am considering going further than I had planned with a brushless setup in my ii after the overheating. since I have the brushed torquemaster expert 21t in the OG Honcho I think i will jump up to 3s with it first to see how I like it but I grabbed the supershaftys for it also just in case. Thanks for pointing out when they came back in stock.
NP on the stock post. I run on 3s now and am running a torquemaster pro 27t. It is amazing. I chose to go brushed on this rig and Im happy with that choice. I will probably build some sort of bomber equivalent as my next RC and I think that will be better suited to brushless. on the 3s I took my pinion down to 11t and its just as smooth as it was on 2s with 13t, but so much more torque.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:34 AM   #30
Rock Crawler

Decided to upgrade my radio system to a higher channel setup, so I got a GT3C and hacked it. It was actually pretty easy once I found some good guides to follow.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:43 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

Ive since returned the SS shafts as they kept breaking, I have a bunch of parts coming tomorrow ill update with them then. For now though I got some awesome 12.9 screws from Tonys Screws! They didnt have a kit so I went through my manual and bought them all individually from him. Ended up around 38$ shipped, which was only 2$ more than the old SCX10 kit they had.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:22 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

breaking how so?
Old 08-15-2018, 01:57 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

Quote:
breaking how so?
On normal MIPs the part that holds the pin is a cup that goes all the way around. SS machines 70% of that material away, and lo and behold they snap at the holes that hold the pins. Had it happen twice before the one man shop and I had a rather terse argument over the phone that resulted in me sending them back and getting a full refund.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:25 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino rc View Post
Great work on the printed parts
Thanks, it really does go hand in hand with RC. Ive been slowly but surely working on a Garage Diorama with 3d printed parts, but it will likely take me till well into winter to get that finished. Too many chances to actually take my trucks out
Old 08-15-2018, 03:29 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino rc View Post
lets see those ssd axles!
Check the July update pics, I show an undercarriage shot of the axles. They are scuffed up because I take the truck on the rocks a lot, but those diamond housings never get caught up on stuff.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:07 AM   #36
Rock Crawler

Got a package from Amain today

Took me a while this evening but I got it all installed finally! In no particular order:

Here we have the Vader Skid plate, which is much more low profile than stock and had a really neat internal screw setup for holding revo rod ended links. Also got a new side plate and receiver box since i had stripped out the ones that came with the truck.

The spares that were in this kit shown here, I replaced everything internally except for the locker bearings cause I recently replaced those.

Hard to make out, but thats an aluminum Samix motor plate with sorta integrated heat sink.

Heres the beautiful Vanquish Transmission case and the SSD Steel driveshafts which both run smooth like buddah!

Other side of the SSD driveshafts

All in all a bunch of nice parts, if I end up getting anything else I may get the Vanquish gear protector if they ever go back in stock.

Rek's Scale Trail Honcho - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC4WD Trail finder 2 Axial SCX10 Honcho Rusty Bug honcho wraith at Durian Loop Trail boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 04-06-2014 09:08 AM
RC4WD Trail finder 2 Axial SCX10 Honcho Rusty Bug honcho wraith at Durian Loop Trail boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 03-24-2014 05:02 AM
Trail Honcho - Scale Crawl, First Run ModTrialsRider Videos! 4 03-16-2012 01:04 AM
Scale Trail Run 1-23-11 with a Cherokee and a Honcho 801RYAN Scale Videos! 10 01-25-2011 09:34 PM