Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: c0bra’s f350 build- back from the dead!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2018, 10:20 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default c0bra’s f350 build- back from the dead!

Like this tittle says I’m brining back the f350 scx10 build I was doing back from the dead, but this time it will be better than ever!

The first time I was working on this rig it was going to be scx10 based on a custom stretched stock chassis with a quad cab body made by me as well as a drop bed. Well.... with me being slow and picky (sometimes) when it comes to styrene work the build quickly came to a stand still due to all of the work needed and was eventually scrapped!

Not this time! Instead of having to do all of that styrene work I decided that I’d just buy a body that was mostly done! Enter Loops Model and their f350 extended cab body and LWB drop bed. I wanted a longer wheel base for this rig so I had to go with their stock length bed. I would have preferred a quad cab but there wasn’t one available. The rest of this truck is going to be different as well!

The axles are going to be from a scx10 ii deadbolt. The chassis is going to be a Brazin Scale RC class 1 chassis that’s is currently in the design process at the moment, it is being made to the wheel base posted for the body. The cross members will all be scx10 ii.

Theres plenty more differences from the previous one that you will have to wait and see. Progress is going to be slow at the moment as I’m still waiting on parts. So far I’ve only received the donor chassis and scx10 ii kit trans. With the axles and body still on their way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
c0bra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2018, 06:06 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: c0bra’s f350 build- back from the dead!

Should have the drawings for the chassis tomorrow, and I was told it should take them about a week to build the chassis!

With the chassis being stretched in the rear end, I’ll still be able to run stock length links up front. I am planning on running full vanquish links but I would prefer to not but a full link kit if I do not need to. So does anybody know what size links I would need to order from vanquish for the front end?

Old 08-27-2018, 09:15 PM   #3
RCC Addict

No drawings for the chassis still, not even a word actually from brazin scale.

Anyways I got the body in the mail so I took the body off of a slow k5 blazer project to see if the wertymade bumper will work for this, and it looks like it will clear! Also it looks like a kit version transmission will as well!

Unfortunately the donor chassis was for a deadbolt so I will need to swap out some parts up front in order to run a servo winch which I plan on adding later on.

I also grabbed a stock bed to see roughly what the truck will look like

Old 08-28-2018, 12:03 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Sweet wheels, SSD?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Crawler Cads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:28 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawler Cads View Post
Sweet wheels, SSD?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Those are ssd, but they are for another build. This build will be getting a different set of their wheels with pit bull tires

Old 08-28-2018, 07:38 PM   #6
RCC Addict

The chassis is approved and is going to get cut out hopefully sometime soon and shipped up to me!

Old 09-01-2018, 08:44 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Ive ordered a few key parts for this. Although some of them aren’t really needed yet.

On its way are a tekin roc412 hd 3100kv and a castle mamba x esc. I’ve never actually had brushless in a scale rig before, but with this things intent of being a nice tow rig and a weekend trail rig, I figured brushless was the way to go.

Also on its way are 1.9 pit bull braven berserkers, ssd d hole wheels, and crawler innovations foams. The tires are 4.35 so they are hopefully small enough not to rub on the wheel arches. Foams are 4.5” with comp cut inner with firm and standard outers. With this thing going to be as long as it is with a steal chassis, built axles and trans, I figured go a step up on the foams I normally go for.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:01 PM   #8
RCC Addict

The motor,esc,wheels and a set of proline scaler shocks are in.

I also started to prime the body but ended up running out before it was done so I sprayed a small section with tamiya light gun metal. Which turned out to be way to silver for what I wanted. So I went to the lhs to get more primer, clear and some metallic red to try

Old 09-09-2018, 07:36 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Looks good, keep us updated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thloftus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:57 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thloftus View Post
Looks good, keep us updated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks!

The tires, foams and chassis came in finally!

So I started assembling the wheels and one of the screws for the wheel hub snapped in the wheel! Rather than replacing it with a spare hub I placed an order for 2 sets of slw 350 hubs and slw hardware

Old 09-15-2018, 05:06 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I went to the lhs earlier this week and just happened to find the exact vanquish methods I wanted for this truck so I picked them up.

Stole the front suspension off of another scx10ii with no rear links and sat the body on to see how it looks.

Painted the body with tamiya primer, tamiya metallic red and then 1 coat of clear

Old 09-18-2018, 04:18 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I placed an order with vanquish for 4 of there 160mm links. The uppers will be a mm too long (won’t even notice most likely) and the rears with long jato ends will be a hair to short. So these links may only be for mock up, and some jec racing stainless links may have to come onto this build.......

Also I picked up a servo that should be more than strong enough for this thing with built axles and aluminum wheels, the savox 2290
Old 09-23-2018, 09:51 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I was able to get the 160mm vanquish links to work. The uppers are using revo rod ends on both sides, the lowers have revo on one end, and long jato on the other side.

I will be talking to jec racing about getting some 1/4 inch stainless links made for the rig

I’ve also got the front bed mount basically designed, I’ll design the rear mount tomorrow and place the order with shapeways to get them printed. Once there in I’ll mount the bed and then figure out the cab mounts.

Old 10-27-2018, 07:15 PM   #14
RCC Addict

The bed mounts i designed won’t work so they will need to be redone.

But after ordering custom links from a rc vendor, then having to send the links back, and wait for new ones to be delivered, it’s finally sitting on its own links!

It’s got 1/4” stainless links in front and rear. The rear ones could’ve been longer, probably my fault but oh well. It’s sitting with revo rod ends on one side and jato on the other for the rear upper and lowers. It could really use a rod ends that’s longer than revo, but shorter than jato. Does anybody have an idea of one that would work?

Old 11-04-2018, 11:09 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Alright everyone I am looking into getting a rear drive shaft for the rear end of this monster. I’ve tried a yeti mip, even with extended outputs on both sides it’s still too short. I’ve tried wb hd driveshafts and was able to make 2 male and a female end work however it is maxed and and the center female section can easily fall out.

Any ideas as to which driveshaft to try?

Old 11-04-2018, 01:28 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Wat about makin a short shaft from the tranny with a carrier, then u would still have enuf distance to put a long driveshaft in w/out any binding or sharp angles on the driveshaft

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 04:04 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Wat about makin a short shaft from the tranny with a carrier, then u would still have enuf distance to put a long driveshaft in w/out any binding or sharp angles on the driveshaft

That would work I’m just not sure were the carrier would mount.

I’m also thinking about trying a scx10 1 transmission in there and see if it helps at all

Old 11-06-2018, 04:41 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Thats wat in runnin, but um not stretched out lol. If u use the same tranny u have now, wat about somethin like this? If u mounted it like in the pic, the top half would be up out of the way n only use the thru shaft as the carrier

indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:57 AM   #19
RCC Addict

If I have to I’d prefer to run a tf2 lwb style carrier bearing. I did see that rc4wd punishers come up to 220mm which should be long enough (hopefully)

On a side note I have a set of the new ssd pro44 axles coming for this!

Old 11-08-2018, 10:59 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Oh boy!. Love it!
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote

c0bra’s f350 build- back from the dead! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Back from the dead! Coors Axial RR10 Bomber 1 03-26-2016 06:00 PM
Lemon Lime F350 build- baja beater F350 build Joe$ 1.9 Scale Rigs 48 02-17-2013 12:46 AM
Back From The Dead RSI Chit Chat 8 07-20-2008 10:03 PM
Back From the Dead Jordan Tamiya Clod Buster 7 12-04-2006 01:27 AM