Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Why am I getting back into this hobby lol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2019, 08:52 AM   #1

Default Why am I getting back into this hobby lol

Well I think Im going get back into the hobby and get a Axial SCX10 II jeep kit. So I know things are probably completely different in the ESC motor area now. I would like to know what a good motor esc combo would be. I would prefer brushless if there is something that works well now. Any help would be great.
that1guyinwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2019, 09:54 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Why am I getting back into this hobby lol

Appreciate you prefer brushless but for that chassis a brushed is spot on in my opinion.
Holmes Trailmaster 540 or 550 (requires some battery tray trimming) alongside a hobbywing 1080 would cost around £50 is extremely excellent for a crawler

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Crawler Cads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:01 AM   #3

Definitely cheaper lol
that1guyinwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:15 AM   #4

The Castle X is the best brushless ESC for crawlers at the moment IMO. You can apparently get away with using the Micro X in the SCX10 II. There are so many motor options. The Castle Slate should be a good choice for the SCX10.

If that's out of your budget than it's probably best to go brushed. The HobbyWing 1080, as mentioned above, is excellent. Any 35T brushed motor would be a fine start.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:50 AM   #5
RCC Addict

If you need/want speed then there are definitely advantages for brushless power. For the vast majority of us it's the technical crawling that is the real appeal here and brushed power is not only more economical but works better in many regards. Slow speed start is extremely smooth without spending a bunch on electronics, and drag brake is easier to setup, and they aren't as susceptible to damage from dirt dust and water.

Definitely the HobbyWing HW1080 ESC - dabomb. HH motors are really nice, but really any of the 27 or 35T motors will work well. Pick your budget and select one that matches. I've run the HH Trailmaster, Torqemaster, Yeah Racing Hackmoto, the Dynamite that comes with Vaterra, and the Axial motors - they all work the same as far as I can tell.

I installed a brushless system in my Axial Bomber on high-recommendation by these guys here - that thing is STUPID fast. And yeah, a Castle EXC is great, and HH has some nice brushless motors too. Figure you'll blow out your trans and diffs with this kind of power.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:15 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I'm split about 50/50 between brushed and brushless in my trucks. A good brushless system meant for crawlers can go as slow as all but the best 5 slot brushed motors, has more top end, runs cooler, gets longer run time, and makes more power. The downside is cost as a Mamba X and Holmes Puller Pro or Tekin ROC412 will run about $250.

A cheap brushed system will have pretty good low speed control runs a scale truck just fine. They both have a place depending on your needs and budget.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:32 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Mamba X and a Holmes Hobbys PRO brushed motor is IMO the best way to go. Torquemaster or Crawlmaster depending on your preference, or Trailmaster if you are on a budget. I have a 1900kv slate and I only use it for trail walking.

I too went the 1080 / trailmaster at one point, but really it just wasnt enough if you crawl often and on difficult terrain.
Rekreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:15 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Ive got a castle mmp with a HH trailmaster 27t im my 10.2 n it does great. Runnin 11/54 gears n it goes a lil more than walkin speed n crawls up most anything

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:34 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Before anyone gets all hyper, this only MY opinion based on MY experience. I'm into trail as much as crawling, keep that in mind...

got a slate 2280 paired with the Mamba. It rivals any brushed setup I had before for crawling and runs cooler, longer and practically no maintenance.

Price wise, worth it to me, zero cons or concessions that I've had going brushless, all pros. your mileage may vary.
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:18 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guyinwi View Post
well i think im going get back into the hobby and get a axial scx10 ii jeep kit. So i know things are probably completely different in the esc motor area now. I would like to know what a good motor esc combo would be. I would prefer brushless if there is something that works well now. Any help would be great.
don't do it.....................
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Why am I getting back into this hobby lol - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
im Back again lol Joeyblaze Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 10 10-15-2014 05:40 PM
After 3 years, I'm back lol mtm Redcat Crawlers 19 07-29-2010 09:27 PM
clean back flip...lol 53 willys Chit Chat 8 12-13-2009 10:47 PM
wow im back after 1 year lol crawldog Chit Chat 1 12-07-2007 12:44 AM
Yes i`m back! with another project! lol (with pics) ToTheMAXXcrawler Newbie General 0 10-18-2007 03:25 PM