Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: After 3 years, I'm back lol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
mtm
Pebble Pounder

Default After 3 years, I'm back lol

Well I joined back in 2007 with hopes of getting my feet wet in this hobby. Life shifted gears and I guess I just lost the time that I had initially planned to devote to this. But anyway, I'm back now and I'm planning to purchase an rs10 very soon. I've done some research and talked to a few people and I think the rs10 would be suitable for me. I'm not looking to do any competitions, just trying to start out and get a better understanding of the sport. Bottom line is that I just bought a house and got married. I need a hobby to keep me busy in the little down time that I have.

Just introducing myself again, I'll keep you guys posted.

Matt

Last edited by mtm; 07-22-2010 at 08:21 PM.
mtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Wooo welcome back. i love my rs10 its great
PhantomRS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:18 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Hey Matt,

First of all let me say congratulations on your marriage and new home! Very exciting! Married life has been good to me. Second, welcome back!

I'm new here. Afier much lurking, I picked up the rs-10 to try out rc rock crawling. I have a couple short course trucks, and a FAST Traxxas peed/rusty build up. So far I think I like crawling best. It's a great family hobby.
AngryTradesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:23 PM   #4
mtm
Pebble Pounder

So are you satisfied with the rs10 angrytradesman?
Old 07-23-2010, 12:39 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

After a few upgrades and mods, it's a great truck for the price. Best part about it is you get to take it out of the box and drive it right away.

As it seems with all RTR crawlers you will want to upgrade a few things. I added new tires for more clearance and grip, and one of my servos fried after running about 20 packs. All things considered I am happy with the RS-10.

I picked it to see if the kids and I would enjoy crawling, so far ir's a hit! Since we brought it home it has got the most use out of them all.
AngryTradesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:37 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

MTM i too am new into the sport. I have yet to buy though. To be honest I was interested awhile ago but didn't have time and funds. So the other day I was surfing web and stumbled across the RS10. Really peaked my interest and for the price I was really hooked. I somehow directed myself to this site and started asking questions. Without boring you and everyone here is what I think in a big nut shell. Everyone has reasons for what they buy...money...preference...etc. You gotta know the RS10 can't compare to the higher priced rigs. If they did then the others are overpriced or RS10 is under priced. I was still going to get one with several thoughts in mind. I figured the frame is not that big a deal compared to axles. So I thought an upgrade on the axles at around 150 to 200. So now you got 360 in the truck. Next would be tires and I am not sure what they cost so say 50 bucks. Total is now 410. Speed control is next at around 100. Then motors...havent priced them yet either so say another 80 bucks. now you are $590. I.m guessing the radio isn't the greatest either. Radio's can cost more than the whole RS10. So lets say you spent $150 on a radio. Now you are at $740. And still have shocks and links and maybe servo to upgrade. Then the frame comes into question.... But for less than $200 you can get into the sport which was my original thought. And the upgrades can come over time. So you're next draining the bank at all once. I have had alot of advise on here. If you can try to talk to local guys and go watch them crawl and look at their rigs. It might help you decide but then again it might bring up a gazillion other questions like it did to me. I ahve rambled enough. Good luck and if you do decide to buy it let me know how it performs. Still thinking my boy could get some fun use out of the RS10.
ctracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:08 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Welcome back. There's lots of good info about the RS10's around here. They're pretty good rigs for the low cost, especially after you upgrade them/mod them a tad.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:28 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

jsowens.....how is your runing? Roughly what do you have in your right now. I.m just trying to put numbers to gether (as my posts above shows) to see which way I am gonna go. Thanks. you've been extremely helpful.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:36 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctracy View Post
jsowens.....how is your runing?
Mine is still running really well...I've had no issues out of it in quite some time. Here's a general idea of the cost I've got in mine:
RS10 - $150ish
Delrin for chassis and links - roughly $30
rc4wd servo - $20ish
rc4wd bec - $20
rover tires - $25ish
MSD topgun wheels - $50 from the classifieds on here
vanquish adjustable foam system - $20 from the classifieds
4'' aluminum shocks with losi springs - $20 from the classifieds
cobalt 400 motors - around $30 back when they were easy to find
losi sport micro peak charger - $18
ax-10 style 6 cell saddle packs - $20 each
deans plugs
dig setup - $15-20
traxxas tq3 rx/tx - $25

This obviously doesn't include shipping or misc things like rod ends/hardware, and isn't exact, but adding these numbers hits around $450. The cost could've been way higher if I hadn't picked up some of the stuff on the classifieds here and I've also made my own chassis/links, which cuts down on the cost.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:43 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

so how are the axles holding up? You put the steel gears in yet? sounds nice. it's easier for me to spend 160ish and slowly add stuff than it is to spend 4-500 right off the bat. Plus i figured if I didnt like it or wanted to get shafty or better MOA i could give it to my boy and give us something to do instead of argue. Which would prolly still happen anyway.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:04 PM   #11
RCC Addict

The axles are holding up surprisingly well. I've not had any issues with the axle housing itself. I did destroy a set of the plastic gears, though...but that was my personal stupidity with getting throttle happy with powerful motors. I've since replaced the gears with another set of plastic ones and have had them a few months now with no issues. I do plan on upgrading to metal gears eventually, though.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:56 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I am still trying to justify the money for a berg or bully. Just came seem to do it. We all have issues. Freakin Obama....LOL I did forget a crawler I was bidding on on ebay. Its an HPI crawler king new/custom stuff hovering around $100. 22 hours left. Not sure if I am going to bid on it or not. Checking craigs list in kansas city but not much there. gonna watch some guys crawl on sunday and will prolly order something monday. u got any other crawlers?
Old 07-23-2010, 08:54 PM   #13
jwo
Rock Crawler

i hear you about the berg or bully route. i love my rs10, but i would like to build me a bully when i can cough up the dough. i have read that they are pretty much indestructible. i would say the top 2 in comps so that must say something. the rs10 is staying in the stable though. after i get around to building a bully when ever that may be, i can get a buddy to come that doesnt have a crawler. crawling by yourself is fun, but its better with more people. after all the rs10 is budget base to get people into the hobby. redcat made a smart move with this truck. i was weary on dumping money into mine as well, mostly due to durability factor. they hold up with flying colors in my book. im more than happy with mine. as well as mine does, i still don't think it would keep up with a bully or berg, but its in the setup and driving skills.

my axles 66$
sidewinder 70$
link 25$
ccbec 25$ already had
rc4wd 45t 20$
8 shooters 40$ already had
leopards 35$
rovers 18$ bogo already had
dual dig 25$ already had the hs55
dx3e 100$ i dont really count this, but i bought it for the rig
tpro mg946r 22$ thats for two
chassis 2.50$ woo hoo big spenda!
brake line 6$ use for all my links and linkages.
pinions 12$
bic pens freebie one of the perks where i work.
lipo 22$ already had

thats about it other then little stuff. i really dont count the stuff i already had, mostly due to the factor of not buying in order to run the rig. also the radio. i was tired of the 10 remotes for all my rc's. so it was more or less a perk for the crawler. i just added the math. ouch 488$ all together. minus the stuff i already had as well as the radio i didn't count 238$ not to bad. i forgot to add the body so i guess its more like 258$. not to bad if you ask me. you can surely build one up for cheap if you have alot of parts and stuff kicking around that doesn't get used.
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:51 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

mtm you should check out jwo's rig . It will give you an idea of just what can be done with the rs10 .no foam testing with new setup . Any rig will need upgrades and replacement parts . The rs10 is a great rig , and if you spend wisely , you can build a beast of a rig for a reasonable price .
rc_pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:27 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

in a lot of cases they perform better then some higher priced rigs, but also the owner to welcome to the family
nwcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:18 PM   #16
mtm
Pebble Pounder

What do you guys think about the HPI Crawler King?
Old 07-24-2010, 05:41 PM   #17
RCC Addict

lots of plastic and it really dosent crawl that well seen one in action kinda reminded me of a radio shack toy
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:24 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I was gonna ask that exact same question. bidded on one before i joined this site and up until yesterday I was high bidder. glad I din't win that one.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:09 AM   #19
mtm
Pebble Pounder

Yea I noticed a lot of plastic as well. Ok thanks for the replies, I'm going with the rs10. It costs less anyway
Old 07-29-2010, 09:27 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctracy View Post
MTM i too am new into the sport. I have yet to buy though. To be honest I was interested awhile ago but didn't have time and funds. So the other day I was surfing web and stumbled across the RS10. Really peaked my interest and for the price I was really hooked. I somehow directed myself to this site and started asking questions. Without boring you and everyone here is what I think in a big nut shell. Everyone has reasons for what they buy...money...preference...etc. You gotta know the RS10 can't compare to the higher priced rigs. If they did then the others are overpriced or RS10 is under priced. I was still going to get one with several thoughts in mind. I figured the frame is not that big a deal compared to axles. So I thought an upgrade on the axles at around 150 to 200. So now you got 360 in the truck. Next would be tires and I am not sure what they cost so say 50 bucks. Total is now 410. Speed control is next at around 100. Then motors...havent priced them yet either so say another 80 bucks. now you are $590. I.m guessing the radio isn't the greatest either. Radio's can cost more than the whole RS10. So lets say you spent $150 on a radio. Now you are at $740. And still have shocks and links and maybe servo to upgrade. Then the frame comes into question.... But for less than $200 you can get into the sport which was my original thought. And the upgrades can come over time. So you're next draining the bank at all once. I have had alot of advise on here. If you can try to talk to local guys and go watch them crawl and look at their rigs. It might help you decide but then again it might bring up a gazillion other questions like it did to me. I ahve rambled enough. Good luck and if you do decide to buy it let me know how it performs. Still thinking my boy could get some fun use out of the RS10.
This was 2nd rebuild 4months in to ownership.. a berg some day!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCyOPPNUfXo
dgna5 is offline   Reply With Quote