Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Frostman's SCX10 II Chevy C10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2019, 11:54 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Frostman's SCX10 II Chevy C10

After taking a few years off from the crawler world I decided to come back and started with a Axial Raw kit. It seemed to be the best choice as it doesn't come with all the garbage that I never used anyway, well besides the stock shocks. I decided to go with the Axial '67 C10 body for my build, along with some Pit Bulls and SSD wheels for starters.

So far I really like how this build has gone, very clean. I am going to put quite a bit of time into this build, so I will be posting progress here as it goes.

Parts list so far:

Axial Raw Kit
Axial '67 C10 Body
Pit Bull 1.9 Rock Beasts
CI Foams
SSD 1.9 Assassin Wheels
Holmes Hobby Torquemaster Expert 35T
Tekin FXR ESC
Castle BEC
Savox 1230SG
Spektrum Radio/RX
Incision Scale Shocks
Incision Drive Shafts
Hot Racing Brass Knuckles
Hot Racing Overdrive gears in front
FI Spools

I got started building up the kit, I didn't do any mods, just built it straight up and left the mods for later.

Body Prep for Painting. My last few trucks were hard bodies, so I will admit I was out of practice working with lexan, but I think it went pretty well.

Painted it some Pactra Orange, backed with Tamiya silver and black.

Got the stickers and mirrors on it, and the grill installed.

It wouldn't be a Texas truck without a CI sticker on the rear window.

Of course nothing ever stays stock for long. Before I even got it out on the rocks I installed FI spools, HR overdrive gears in front, Incision Driveshafts and shocks, and these nice shiny and weighty HR Brass Knuckles.

I have a bunch more fun planned for this truck, fender wells, interior, front axle with clockable C Hubs, LED Headlights, and then some. Looking forward to having some fun with this truck!
Frostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2019, 04:31 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Frostman's SCX10 II Chevy C10

Great start. I really like the colour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:34 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
Great start. I really like the colour.

Thanks! For some reason I love orange for my RCs. It came out really bright like I wanted it.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:33 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostman View Post
Thanks! For some reason I love orange for my RCs. It came out really bright like I wanted it.

I had a metallic orange 1:1 truck. I got lots of complements on the colour. In photos it was a bit of a chameleon; in some light it looked red, in other light, bright orange.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:21 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

For some reason I really like the Orange Toyota has been using lately, the Tundras and Tacos with it look awesome. Of course, I drive a plain jane white F150. lol
Old 01-13-2019, 12:24 PM   #6
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
For some reason I really like the Orange Toyota has been using lately, the Tundras and Tacos with it look awesome. Of course, I drive a plain jane white F150. lol
It's a burnt orange they call 'Inferno' .

Truck looks great Frostman. You have set it up to perform right out of the gate!

My kid is asking for this body set to complete his builders kit. Looks like he has good taste
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:25 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:

I almost got a plain Jane white truck too after selling the orange one, but I just could not do it. So I got a metallic blue.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:51 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper View Post

Algonquin?

Close. A little west at Oastler Lake.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:59 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
It's a burnt orange they call 'Inferno' .

Truck looks great Frostman. You have set it up to perform right out of the gate!

My kid is asking for this body set to complete his builders kit. Looks like he has good taste
Thank you! I really like the body, the grill and all the details sure beats the molded in ones like it used to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
I almost got a plain Jane white truck too after selling the orange one, but I just could not do it. So I got a metallic blue.
My last truck was black, but with where I live white is much nicer for staying cool. My black truck was like hopping into an oven in the south Texas summer.

I do find it funny that all of you guys commenting are from Canada. I grew up a couple hours from the border and my mom is from Thunder Bay. I spent all my summers up there on the other side of Lake Superior as a kid.

Last edited by Frostman; 01-13-2019 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:15 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper View Post
Nice. I'm also partial to orange trucks.

Love it! I like the “Construction” Orange trucks. This was my last build a few years ago. Obviously the current truck is quite a bit less strenuous. Lol

Old 01-15-2019, 01:18 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostman View Post
after taking a few years off from the crawler world i decided to come back and started with a axial raw kit. It seemed to be the best choice as it doesn't come with all the garbage that i never used anyway, well besides the stock shocks. I decided to go with the axial '67 c10 body for my build, along with some pit bulls and ssd wheels for starters.

So far i really like how this build has gone, very clean. I am going to put quite a bit of time into this build, so i will be posting progress here as it goes.

Parts list so far:

Axial raw kit
axial '67 c10 body
pit bull 1.9 rock beasts
ci foams
ssd 1.9 assassin wheels
holmes hobby torquemaster expert 35t
tekin fxr esc
castle bec
savox 1230sg
spektrum radio/rx
incision scale shocks
incision drive shafts
hot racing brass knuckles
hot racing overdrive gears in front
fi spools

i got started building up the kit, i didn't do any mods, just built it straight up and left the mods for later.

body prep for painting. My last few trucks were hard bodies, so i will admit i was out of practice working with lexan, but i think it went pretty well.

painted it some pactra orange, backed with tamiya silver and black.

got the stickers and mirrors on it, and the grill installed.

it wouldn't be a texas truck without a ci sticker on the rear window.

of course nothing ever stays stock for long. Before i even got it out on the rocks i installed fi spools, hr overdrive gears in front, incision driveshafts and shocks, and these nice shiny and weighty hr brass knuckles.

i have a bunch more fun planned for this truck, fender wells, interior, front axle with clockable c hubs, led headlights, and then some. Looking forward to having some fun with this truck!
nice!!!!!
pyroM!KE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:07 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

That body looks sweet! Nice truck!
Stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:28 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Thanks guys!

I was out of town for a bit but I had some bits and pieces arrive while I was gone. I took a little time to mount up the fender wells I got off fleabay. I wish they had these 5 years ago! I really like how they look.

Tonight I think I am going to put the hardened gears and spool in the rear axle. I also got a new Heyok light switch (my old one mysteriously disappeared) so I am at least going to hook up some head lights for this rig.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:22 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Ok, so today I did all the work on the front and rear axles. Spool and hardened gears on the rear, switched the front housing to the RTR/original kit style and added SSD C Hubs. Also put some soft incision springs on the front end.

Now, I bought a cheap eBay JK interior. TBH I think it looks chintzy. But I think it’ll be cool for now until I figure something else out (Wraith interior?).

I’m going to scuff it and paint over it with brown. I also have some chrome interior details from RPP that were on sale for a dollar.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:59 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Well, I finally got it out and gave it a thorough test run today. I am happy to say it ran great. The one obvious flaw is with my choice of body, as the approach and departure angles aren't as good as say a Jeep body. That said, I was still very pleased. It'll be nice to get the interior in so that I can't see the tranny while I am driving it.

Unfortunately it rained a few nights ago and there's running water in the normally dry creek bed that I like to hit up. So I wasn't able to hit the rocks full force. But I got some decent photos anyway.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:40 PM   #16
Slow is the new Fast

looks great Frostman! Yeah, I see you caught the passenger side of the front bumper on something. Perhaps you need to take out the grinder and cut that thang clean off.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:18 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
looks great Frostman! Yeah, I see you caught the passenger side of the front bumper on something. Perhaps you need to take out the grinder and cut that thang clean off.

Thank you! Yeah it caught some scratches, it’ll be alright for now though. I’d eventually like to get a decent winch bumper and a winch. Trick will be finding one wide enough for this body.

Old 01-26-2019, 01:05 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Ok, so this actually turned out ok. I wasn’t sure about it, and it kind of felt akin to putting lipstick on a pig. But it was cheap, and I think it turned out ok.

I cut the interior, scuffed it, cut out the steering wheel back and folded it under, then taped the floorboards. I used Tamiya Copper (closest my LHS had to brown) then misted over it with black. Re-taped, sprayed black, and added some chrome details with some black enamel so they aren’t totally chrome.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:23 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Default Frostman's SCX10 II Chevy C10

I realized I hadn’t provided a decent pic with the full body with interior on chassis. So here that is.

I’m not sure what direction I’m going to go with this truck. This is the first lexan body I’ve ever done on a trail truck. I’ve always bought dingo kits and sold the bodies (and all the other crap I didn’t want) on eBay and done hard bodies.

There’s tons of options for hard bodies these days, but I’m not sure if I want to get one for this frame or do a complete custom build. Time will tell. For now I’ll enjoy this one!
Old 02-03-2019, 03:51 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

I’ve admittedly never been big on lights, at least complex ones. I like to keep it simple as they really aren’t that useful. But I did put some headlights in this truck just for fun. I used a HeyOK switch so I can turn them on and off with my TX. I don’t know if I mentioned but I picked up a DX5 Rugged, and I really like it so far.

Last edited by Frostman; 02-03-2019 at 11:13 PM.

Frostman's SCX10 II Chevy C10 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
chevy c10 freebird400 Paint and Body 4 11-10-2016 12:28 PM
Show me your SCX10 Proline 1972 Chevy C10 build The Dark Knight Axial SCX-10 5 03-22-2016 07:21 PM
junked out scx10, 1980 c10 chevy jhop1 Axial SCX-10 32 02-15-2012 08:05 PM
C10 Chevy Hordsak Axial SCX-10 5 04-19-2010 07:40 PM