Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: Sooo....adjustable wheelbase......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2020, 01:57 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Sooo....adjustable wheelbase......

Anyone think this feature might lead to a true to scale Jeep Gladiator version?
KulaHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2020, 04:12 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Sooo....adjustable wheelbase......

Gladiator wheelbase would have to be about 1.5” longer if same scale as the JL.

The frame does not get that much longer, does it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:16 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Not necessarily true. Although I haven't (yet, as I haven't (yet) ordered the SCX10.3) actually attempted it, I have come up with a way to lengthen the SCX10.3's rails, thus lengthening the wheelbase. So as to not double-post the entirely, check out my "Wheelbase Lengthening Inquiry" thread. In short, it involves attaching the rear rails further back, and drilling holes though the front rails a short distance behind the rear skid screw holes. The "short distance" would depend on the wheelbase length desired.

The rear rails have (according to the build manual) 10 evenly-spaced holes at the front of the rails. If my idea works, the possible wheelbase extension lengths will depend on what that special is between those 10 holes. For example, if the holes are 8mm apart, considering that the 'stock' length is 313mm (Rich confirmed it's 313mm, not 312mm), that would mean they, by using my "lengthening" idea, extended lengths would be 321mm, 329mm, and 337mm (I'm not 100% certain that final length is actually possible, but the first two would be). Again, the actual wheelbase lengths that would be obtainable would depend on the spacing between those 10 holes...but, I'm fairly certain it's possible to lengthen the wheelbase.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:32 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

For longer wheelbase rigs like the Gladiator & 6x6, I could see them making dedicated longer rear chassis rails. I’m kind of surprised that the iii didn’t come out of the gate with the Gladiator body. I like the JL body as is but would have preferred a 2-door &/or Gladiator.
txbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:44 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbart View Post
For longer wheelbase rigs like the Gladiator & 6x6, I could see them making dedicated longer rear chassis rails. I’m kind of surprised that the iii didn’t come out of the gate with the Gladiator body. I like the JL body as is but would have preferred a 2-door &/or Gladiator.

Exactly. Interested in the SCX 10.3 but would have much preferred the Gladiator. If there was a remote possibility that a Gladiator version would have been released on a later date I'd hold off on purchasing until that version came out. Didn't realize the chassis couldn't extend enough to accommodate a Gladiators 10:1 wheel base.
KulaHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:03 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbart View Post
How about something other than a Ford, Chevy, or Jeep? Say, a Toyota, International, Land Rover (something other than D90 or D110), etc? In other words, "something different". Personally, I'd love to see a kit like this released with a Toyota body...something 'current', such as the Tundra, or a 'classic', such as the FJ45, or Landcruiser 70-series (the Landcruiser 79 IS still made, and widely used in the African desserts & safaris, as well as the Australian outback).

As for the wheelbase lengthening, one never knows...maybe that's exactly why they released the SCX10.3 with 2-piece rails...it certainly makes sense. It would be a VERY logical way to create a longer wheelbase. Heck...designed right (ie. MUCH longer rear rails, plus additional cross-braces), one could theoretically build a chassis long enough to do a scale stretch SUV limo (even though I'm a professional chauffeur, no, I'm NOT suggesting actually doing this...lol). We have no way of knowing if this is what Axial planned from the beginning, whether they're now going to start working (thanks to your idea/"suggestion") on such, or whether they have no intention of making longer rear rails...so, in the meantime, if anyone truly wants/needs a longer wheelbase, the idea I came up with should prove doable. Personally, I DO like your idea, and hope they are working, or will start working, on a longer rear rails and/or a "long wheelbase extension kit".

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sooo....adjustable wheelbase...... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Super adjustable wheelbase? CREEPERBOB Superclass Crawlers 7 01-16-2012 10:31 PM
Adjustable Wheelbase Super * 'Retrack' * Prototype SVEN Superclass Crawlers 33 07-12-2010 05:34 PM
Wheelbase adjustable? by shortening links? BeginnR Venom Creeper 3 08-25-2009 12:56 PM
1:1 with adjustable wheelbase?!?! WOW TwistedXT Chit Chat 4 11-25-2008 05:55 PM
On demand adjustable wheelbase idea FlexinTLT Tamiya TLT Crawlers 11 01-25-2006 01:48 PM