Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: Axial SCX 10 III Transmission issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2020, 10:17 AM   #1

Default Axial SCX 10 III Transmission issues

So I have just completed the SCX 10 III build and are having issues properly configuring the transmission to function with my radio. I have AUX1 and AUX2 to control the 2W-4W and DIG. The dig seemed to work in the beginning but now fails to to shift into DIG. The 2W-4W does not seem to have a 1st and second gear, only ha high gear (variable fast), I would like to engage the 1st low gear, but not sure how to do it.

Last edited by Greyfoxvt; 05-04-2020 at 01:05 PM.
Greyfoxvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2020, 11:07 AM   #2

Default Re: Axial SCX 10 III Transmission issues

Welcome to the site!

What transmitter are you using?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:09 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

It sounds like you are trying to setup the dig to 3 position ie. rear position dig, middle position front wheel drive, forward position four wheel drive?

If this is the case I have tried to set up mine the same way. I don't believe it was intended to be set in this manner. The instructions did not mention it and they show where the shift levers need to be for dig on and off only.

If you setup for dig on / off only does it work properly and does the 1st and 2nd gear work properly? If yes I would set it up that way.

I think there is too much slop in the transmission where this shift fork has too much play in the middle position. If you could tighten up that slop you may get better results. This is just a guess however.
$uicide $hift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:22 PM   #4

I recently built the scx10iii as my first crawler. I have been out of the rc hobby for about 25 yrs. Not sure if your having the same issues I have run into with mine but I’ll share what I have been through. I’m using a radio link 6 channel radio. My first several runs with the truck I lost the two speed shifting. The shift arm on the trans was slipping out of the servo arm. It seems like the arm on the trans could be a little bit longer to stay solidly in the servo arm. That said, it really all came down to setting the stop points with the transmitter so there was just the right travel to the servo arm to avoid putting excess pressure on the trans arm that caused it to come out of the servo. Too much travel caused heat buildup in the servo and pulling the shift arm out of the slot. Too little travel and it won’t shift at all. Pushing the shift arm into The trans gives you low and pulling it out of the trans gives you high. It is not really a big difference in speed. You won’t see near the difference with this two speed trans as you will see in the trx4. ( my brother in law has the bronco we run together). I do have reliable shifting and dig since I got the stop point me properly set. I hope this helps!
Trailmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:45 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Default Axial SCX 10 III Transmission issues

I have mine setup with two different switches. Both a 2 position, and a 3.
To freewheel the only way I’ve consistently been able to work is using the three positions center to freewheel. Then set EP. to freewheel shift back to center from 4wd. .....
I’ve yet to find freewheel from locked rear axle.
I use 2 position switch to dig, 3 position to freewheel
I think if I would eliminate the servo saver and went solid, it would work. But the throw is so short, I’m not going to try

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Welcome to the site!

What transmitter are you using?
I just purchased the Spektrum DX5C . Unlike my aircraft transmitter, there are only two major controls, and the others are small switches. I have the 2W-4W on a 2 pos button, and it works fine. I put another 2 pos switch for one direction or the other. This is the DIG, which no longer moves. So basically it just stays in gear.

It all works OK, I was just hoping to get the DIG to operate again, and it seems locked pin in.
Old 05-04-2020, 03:01 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfoxvt View Post
I just purchased the Spektrum DX5C . Unlike my aircraft transmitter, there are only two major controls, and the others are small switches. I have the 2W-4W on a 2 pos button, and it works fine. I put another 2 pos switch for one direction or the other. This is the DIG, which no longer moves. So basically it just stays in gear.

It all works OK, I was just hoping to get the DIG to operate again, and it seems locked pin in.

If it’s “locked in” disconnect the arm to make sure lever works still. Assuming it does you need to set the endpoints and possibly sub trim to center. I know my turnigy 6 channel stick has a menu for all channel’s

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:41 PM   #8

Quote:

Do you have video showing what you mean? If the dig gets stuck in a certain position then that's the problem I'm also having.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 05:55 AM   #9

So I figured it out! The kit I have was one of the dealers promo units, already built and painted from Horizon. I took out the transmission and deconstructed it to check every part, and I found a little plastic washer piece which restricts the DIG from engaging. After I removed it and rebuilt the transmission, it is now functioning normally. I moves the full travel with little or no resistance. and the 2WH-4WH also works on a switch on the transmitter as well.

Much happier with this rig now, and cannot wait to get into some beach crawling today! Thanks everyone for your knowledge and ideas. Great group of modelers with lots of knowledge. Great site!

Last edited by Greyfoxvt; 05-05-2020 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Adding image
Old 05-05-2020, 06:20 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
So I have just completed the SCX 10 III build and are having issues properly configuring the transmission to function with my radio. I have AUX1 and AUX2 to control the 2W-4W and DIG. The dig seemed to work in the beginning but now fails to to shift into DIG.
Quote:

So I figured it out! The kit I have was one of the dealers promo units, already built and painted from Horizon. I took out the transmission and deconstructed it to check every part, and I found a little plastic washer piece which restricts the DIG from engaging. After I removed it and rebuilt the transmission, it is now functioning normally. I moves the full travel with little or no resistance. and the 2WH-4WH also works on a switch on the transmitter as well.

Much happier with this rig now, and cannot wait to get into some beach crawling today! Thanks everyone for your knowledge and ideas. Great group of modelers with lots of knowledge. Great site!
OK confusion cleared! You did not build it and the dig function never worked in the past. Those are two key pieces of information that would have most likely generated different responses to assist you in determining the problem.

I am glad you were able to sort it out. I am curious about something where as this was a model built for the dealer demo at release. The dig function was locked out. Did this model have the servo for the dig when you bought it or did you need to buy the servo and install it?
Old 05-05-2020, 06:25 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by $uicide $hift View Post
OK confusion cleared! You did not build it and the dig function never worked in the past. Those are two key pieces of information that would have most likely generated different responses to assist you in determining the problem.

I am glad you were able to sort it out. I am curious about something where as this was a model built for the dealer demo at release. The dig function was locked out. Did this model have the servo for the dig when you bought it or did you need to buy the servo and install it?
The demo unit at my LHS had no electronics in it. I would expect that they were all that way.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 06:31 AM   #12

The model was originally built by the factory for dealers at the release, and was completed with the DIG option not functional. I purchased all the servos and BEC and receiver. and installed them and the radio. I have since removed a number of components and rebuilt them to better understand the model and its workings.

Last edited by Greyfoxvt; 05-05-2020 at 06:44 AM.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:27 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

As a demo with zero electronics I would have thought they would not lock out the 2 speed and dig function so that a dealer could manually show how it works by moving the levers by hand at least...

Either way glad you got it sorted out and have a better understanding of how the truck is built. Enjoy your new rig as I have been really enjoying driving this one a lot!

I bought the TRX-4 end of last year simply because I thought the unlocking diffs were cool to play with. I find myself using the dig function way more and love it. Maybe I am just lazy but I prefer hitting the dig instead of reversing in so many situations even when there is plenty of room. I think the 2 speed / dig feature is way more useful vs the locking / unlocking diffs.

Axial SCX 10 III Transmission issues - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Siggy's Axial Racing NEW SCX-10 III w/ Portal Axles Siggy Axial SCX10 III 143 09-24-2021 04:06 AM