Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: Newbie electronics questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2021, 06:51 AM   #1

Default Newbie electronics questions

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie to the crawler community and have some questions regarding electronics that I would like to get opinions and suggestion from the good folks in this forum.

Although I am not totally new to this hobby, it was many moons ago that I built any R/C kits and suffice to say, most of the things now are new to me. Since returning to the R/C hobby, I have proceeded to get myself an SCX10.3 kit.

I was wondering which would you guys recommend for my ESC and motor combo? I have been eying the Hobbywing Fusion 1800KV and the AXE R2 540L 2800KV for my application. I am looking for a good balance between rough terrain and trails (sufficient wheel speed to have fun without putting other parts at risks of damage).

My second question is will 540L from the AXE R2 fit without any trimming of parts especially given the tall-ish wires coming out from that can? I understand that the fusion will need some form of trimming to get it to fit. Ideally, I wouldn't want to trim any parts and would like to use the engine cover as well.

In addition, other recommendations are welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by CrawlerNb; 04-21-2021 at 06:55 AM.
CrawlerNb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2021, 07:04 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Newbie electronics questions

Well I don't have any experience with brushless in the SCX10iii but I love my hobbywing 1080 and Holmes Hobby Crawlmaster 550 12t. On 3s it's fast enough but with the program card it crawls pretty decent as well. Plus it was only about 60 bucks total. And yes the 550 fits with no timing.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
SCX10 JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:15 AM   #3

Thanks for the info SCX10 JK! I would like to run Brushless on this rig as I already have a brushed setup on another rig of mine. I have read that the HW1080 coupled with HH motors are real popular, might just have to try it at some point just to compare.

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2021, 01:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlerNb View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie to the crawler community and have some questions regarding electronics that I would like to get opinions and suggestion from the good folks in this forum.

Although I am not totally new to this hobby, it was many moons ago that I built any R/C kits and suffice to say, most of the things now are new to me. Since returning to the R/C hobby, I have proceeded to get myself an SCX10.3 kit.

I was wondering which would you guys recommend for my ESC and motor combo? I have been eying the Hobbywing Fusion 1800KV and the AXE R2 540L 2800KV for my application. I am looking for a good balance between rough terrain and trails (sufficient wheel speed to have fun without putting other parts at risks of damage).

My second question is will 540L from the AXE R2 fit without any trimming of parts especially given the tall-ish wires coming out from that can? I understand that the fusion will need some form of trimming to get it to fit. Ideally, I wouldn't want to trim any parts and would like to use the engine cover as well.

In addition, other recommendations are welcome.

Thanks in advance!
Im running the new Spektrum Crawler brushless and sensored esc/motor bundle. Its pretty awesome.
BansheeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 04:28 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I'm running the Fusion in my 10.3, fits like a glove and is so smooth. Highly recommend, it's a great system. Nice not have to mount another piece of electronics. I went with the 2300kv Fusion for a little more wheel speed.

Last edited by kincer; 05-08-2021 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Added text
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 12:07 AM   #6

Thanks for all the input, I've decided to run the Hobbywing R2 AXE with 2800KV for some wheel speed.

Newbie electronics questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie...Tell me about your electronics. 4est Newbie General 27 03-26-2021 07:58 AM
Newbie electronics selection SpudWrench Newbie General 12 10-18-2018 11:25 AM
newbie with electronics question bluetwister Newbie General 2 12-05-2010 02:00 PM
Newbie electronics ? elkie General Crawlers 2 02-24-2006 05:27 PM
RC newbie electronics questions oIIIIIo Newbie General 2 01-26-2006 07:38 PM