Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: Dig/2 speed servo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2021, 01:25 PM   #1

Default Dig/2 speed servo

I need a servo for the dig and 2 speed option. I ordered e max servos but the output gear is too small. Not sure what servosi need. I traded for this gladiator that was only used a couple of times. The risks you take. Thatnks for all thelp.
Med382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2021, 02:20 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Dig/2 speed servo

I just went through this with three Spektrum servos failing.

A hobby shop recommended an EcoPower servo. I simply screwed through the servo horn that came with it.

I don't have the model number with me. Sorry.
tonered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 08:09 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Med382 View Post
I need a servo for the dig and 2 speed option. I ordered e max servos but the output gear is too small. Not sure what servosi need. I traded for this gladiator that was only used a couple of times. The risks you take. Thatnks for all thelp.
Ignore my advice. With the endpoints set, the EcoPower servo crapped out after just two days.

I give up.
Old 04-28-2021, 09:53 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Yeah I just unplugged mine from the start. Basically even with the adjustments I can do on my dx5c I'm not holding my breath. So I'm waiting for a better option as well. I have 4 of the stock servos so I have backups not planning on using dig but switching to 2 speed trans but I don't want to have to replace servos every week either. I have messed with them a little bit maybe an hour or so and they still work ok for now. I have heard the reefs micro 99 is a excellent option but yikes that's pricey lol. Also fabricating the link is not something I want to deal with either.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
SCX10 JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:07 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Read this maybe an option

Old 04-28-2021, 10:31 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCX10 JK View Post
Yeah I just unplugged mine from the start. Basically even with the adjustments I can do on my dx5c I'm not holding my breath. So I'm waiting for a better option as well. I have 4 of the stock servos so I have backups not planning on using dig but switching to 2 speed trans but I don't want to have to replace servos every week either. I have messed with them a little bit maybe an hour or so and they still work ok for now. I have heard the reefs micro 99 is a excellent option but yikes that's pricey lol. Also fabricating the link is not something I want to deal with either.

Thanks!

Yeah. I am considering the Reefs as I really like the 2spd function. Also on the CS requests about the stock servo failures, I have begged the Horizon folks to make the dig function in to a RWD / 4wd option, for money of course. I'd really like that feature. I think it could be done with a change to the rear of the T case molding?

I was able to make the 2spd function work easily with servo horns, but I think the high stress low range end of the throw is the problem? The servo mount needs to be further forward, IMHO.

It is frustrating considering how solid the rest of the 10.3 is.
Old 04-28-2021, 10:33 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCX10 JK View Post
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Read this maybe an option

It definitely is, esp with the matching splines. The OOS is a problem though.

I'm keeping an eye on it.

Thanks!
Old 05-04-2021, 02:28 PM   #8

I ran the spektrum servos when I built mine mostly because the included servo saver pieces were a direct fit. I think as long as you have the end points set properly you wont have issues, My spektrum servos are working fine. Admittedly dont use the 10iii much though so who knows
tdo805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:49 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdo805 View Post
I ran the spektrum servos when I built mine mostly because the included servo saver pieces were a direct fit. I think as long as you have the end points set properly you wont have issues, My spektrum servos are working fine. Admittedly dont use the 10iii much though so who knows
I have been waiting to finalize things with amain, but the EcoPower servo died for me also. It worked for a day. Endpoints were carefully set and checked before each run.

I even gave up on trying to get the freewheel position and just tried for the two speeds. High range is easy to set, low is problematic due to the reach.

I really need to check the Rx because I really think is is shoving out too much voltage or something. For now, I'm sticking with high range and no dig.

Thanks!
Old 05-04-2021, 03:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonered View Post
I have been waiting to finalize things with amain, but the EcoPower servo died for me also. It worked for a day. Endpoints were carefully set and checked before each run.

I even gave up on trying to get the freewheel position and just tried for the two speeds. High range is easy to set, low is problematic due to the reach.

I really need to check the Rx because I really think is is shoving out too much voltage or something. For now, I'm sticking with high range and no dig.

Thanks!
The ecopower servo is rated for 6v. My bet is that you just got a bad batch. Hopefully amain swaps them for you
Old 05-04-2021, 03:30 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
The ecopower servo is rated for 6v. My bet is that you just got a bad batch. Hopefully amain swaps them for you
They were helpful to chat with yesterday. Just waiting on the ship notice for the new one.

They said that they would get some radio diag info to me.

I also said that I'd like to talk about better radio options.

The other thing that comes to mind is the possibility of a linear servo. But, the rest of you guys seem to have the 2spd thing sorted, so I will continue to try.
Old 05-04-2021, 03:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonered View Post
They were helpful to chat with yesterday. Just waiting on the ship notice for the new one.

They said that they would get some radio diag info to me.

I also said that I'd like to talk about better radio options.

The other thing that comes to mind is the possibility of a linear servo. But, the rest of you guys seem to have the 2spd thing sorted, so I will continue to try.
Besides the Spektrum and Ecopower, what are people running? Again, I opted for the spektrum because it seemed like the "easy button" when I was building the truck. I actually had purchased the Eco's and ended up exchanging them for the Spektrums.
Old 05-04-2021, 03:51 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Besides the Spektrum and Ecopower, what are people running? Again, I opted for the spektrum because it seemed like the "easy button" when I was building the truck. I actually had purchased the Eco's and ended up exchanging them for the Spektrums.

Reefs 99 or this one that I have not tried yet. The party trick there is that it is 23t also:
https://www.powerhobby.com/power-hd-...4-crawler.html
Old 05-08-2021, 12:57 AM   #14

The issue is a faulty BEC from factory. I burned up 2 servos and my AIO esc/rx in one day. I now run a brushless setup and no issues since.
BansheeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:44 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BansheeRider View Post
The issue is a faulty BEC from factory. I burned up 2 servos and my AIO esc/rx in one day. I now run a brushless setup and no issues since.
That is where I was heading. How did you diagnose, or did you just get rid of it because it is junk?

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2021, 01:25 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
amain was great to work with and the replacement servo arrived.

I'm not hooking it up until I can confirm the Rx output. Been a bit lazy the past few days.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:31 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Well, dammit!

I thought I could be happy with dig locked out and the gearing locked in high range.

Yesterday, I found myself incredibly impressed how the SCX10 managed in a bunch of riprap drain rock. But after a while, I noticed some smoke wafting out of the grille. No real performance issues, but I drove it on the pavement to get some cooling through the motor and put it away. When I got home, I ditched the front and top motor covers.

Lesson learned. Low range is needed for rough crawling even though the high range gearing works well.
Old 05-23-2021, 11:31 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I have just started building my SCX10, and I am going with Savox SW-0250MG servos for dig and 2-speed. 70oz at 6v, ought to be fine.
Antsiranean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 12:27 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Please let us know how well it works and how you connect it.

Dig/2 speed servo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIG.2-speed micro servo arm aconsola Axial SCX10 III 3 09-06-2020 08:01 PM
Dig/2-speed servo recommendation.. Bowtiewarrior Axial SCX10 III 13 08-18-2020 01:56 PM
2 speed dig Twisted Links Axial RR10 Bomber 12 11-09-2018 01:29 PM
DIG or 2 Speed Axial95 Newbie General 20 11-23-2013 06:47 AM