Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: Scx10iii freaking out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2021, 05:08 PM   #1

Default Scx10iii freaking out

So I turned on my truck tonight to this. RTR electronics. In the video, the transmitter is on but no one is touching it to cause the wheels to twitch like that. Add to this, it occasionally decides to take off forward or backwards at full speed. Help me?

https://youtu.be/8Xal53C0dbQ

Rob Gerwig

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
rob.gerwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2021, 05:49 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Scx10iii freaking out

I'd wager that the servo is bad. When they go bad they can backfeed voltage to other components and make it do very odd things.

If you have another known good servo you could try plugging it into the steering channel, you dont need to install it in the chassis though.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 06:09 PM   #3

I'm also getting no throttle control, except when it randomly accelerates, I can stop it with the brake on the transmitter. But it takes off again if I release the brake.

Old 06-02-2021, 11:35 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I think HomboldtEF is on the right track. In your video, the ESC LED is blinking green which indicates a possible overheating issue. A burned out controller board in the servo would cause the overheating issue. You don't even need another servo, just unplug the servo from the ESC/receiver and see what happens.

If you are running a dig servo as well as the steering servo, unplug both and test the throttle. If the throttle works fine, plug in one servo, steering, and test again. Unplug that servo and plug in the dig servo and test. If one of the servos is toast it should show up doing a test like this.

If the servos check out okay, unplug the motor and test each of the servos. If they function correctly, then the motor is suspect.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 09:15 AM   #5

So I had something very similar happen to mine. I think it was the ESC that ended up being bad. I tried everything and nothing would fix it.

I ended up replacing the esc and receiver with hobbywing and spektrum units and it's been running like a champ.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
killbo_baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 10:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by killbo_baggins View Post
So I had something very similar happen to mine. I think it was the ESC that ended up being bad. I tried everything and nothing would fix it.

I ended up replacing the esc and receiver with hobbywing and spektrum units and it's been running like a champ.

Would it be safe to assume that if I were to disconnect the servos and motor and power it up... If the red light is flashing like that still that it's probably the esc? I've been able to bind the rx tx successfully. But still had the blinking and erratic behavior.

Old 06-03-2021, 01:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob.gerwig View Post
Would it be safe to assume that if I were to disconnect the servos and motor and power it up... If the red light is flashing like that still that it's probably the esc? I've been able to bind the rx tx successfully. But still had the blinking and erratic behavior.

I would say that if you disconnect everything and it still freaks out that it's either the ESC or the transmitter. Because you've disconnected everything else that could be the issue

killbo_baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 04:41 PM   #8

So, I've got the Smart Battery and Servo thing from Spektrum. Hooked it up to the steering servo and everything operated normally. Same with the dig servo. So I swapped the two servos around on the ESC and when I turned it on, the dig servo was the one going bonkers. I'm thinking that this tells me that it's the esc/receiver combo. Let me tell you how happy I am that those are combined. I've sent the info to Spektrum/Axial, we'll see if they get back to me about warrantying it. Otherwise, it's upgrade time as soon as I can afford it.

Scx10iii freaking out - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aren't these just freaking cool? IVIaarten Chit Chat 13 06-20-2017 04:33 PM
Truck freaking out need help HRT5SLCFD Axial AX-10 Scorpion 6 12-21-2008 10:51 AM
Now this is Freaking Funny! STEW<CO> Chit Chat 3 02-19-2008 10:54 PM
Freaking Hi-cups!!! Harley Chit Chat 19 10-06-2007 05:04 PM
Freaking LHS jason General Crawlers 46 02-26-2006 04:59 PM