Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Race Series For the Wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2011, 10:51 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Race Series For the Wraith

Seeing this rig doesn't really fit in any current class, maybe super, do you think there will be race series started for the Wraith. Or do you think it will just be basher style truck?
Norcal_GIT_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2011, 11:07 AM   #2

Well do you feel that it will perform to good for the Scale classes.
A-RON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:10 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Super?
krawlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I haven't drivin it so I can't comment if it would perform well. It's bigger than 1.9 or 2.2 scalers and it looks like it would rather race than crawl.
If there was a local race series for it I'd get one in a heart beat. I'll probably end up with one no matter what.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:28 PM   #5

I was talking with some guys in my local club and we may try to have a KOH style race with them. It would also be fun to set up a track and make it 3 laps or so with some technical rock sections and high speed stuff.
NorthwestYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal_GIT_r View Post
Seeing this rig doesn't really fit in any current class, maybe super, do you think there will be race series started for the Wraith. Or do you think it will just be basher style truck?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal_GIT_r View Post
I haven't drivin it so I can't comment if it would perform well. It's bigger than 1.9 or 2.2 scalers and it looks like it would rather race than crawl.
If there was a local race series for it I'd get one in a heart beat. I'll probably end up with one no matter what.
If you've never seen or driven one how do you know it doesn't really fit into any current class? Seems like you're just tossing a thought out there without really knowing. In Montana folks were already talking about building a Class 3 scale rig out of it.

The Wraith will fit into Class 3 Scale with a few additions. The axles will be great for those building a shafted Super. The axles alone will allow folks to make all sorts of wacky rigs.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:10 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post
If you've never seen or driven one how do you know it doesn't really fit into any current class? Seems like you're just tossing a thought out there without really knowing. In Montana folks were already talking about building a Class 3 scale rig out of it.

The Wraith will fit into Class 3 Scale with a few additions. The axles will be great for those building a shafted Super. The axles alone will allow folks to make all sorts of wacky rigs.

I know i want them axles~! will make a great axle behind a custom sc truck with a 4 link! thats my plan any how.perfect width!
foxposi_150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:26 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Too me it doesn't appear to fit a specific class due to the specs released and the videos and feedback from those who have driven it...It's a discussion. No need to get sound so uptight.
It is called a Rock Racer, so I am curious to know if anyone plans on creating a new series for that. What does it matter if I've driven it yet or not. I'm not claiming it does or doesn't do anything. I'm just asking a pretty simple question and trying to have a discussion.
It does look like you could make a cool super, but I'm more interested in a Rock Racer and series for that.

Last edited by Norcal_GIT_r; 05-29-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:30 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Edited for harley

Last edited by Twiztid Metal; 05-31-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Twiztid Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:33 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
The axles will be great for those building a shafted Super..

Well if its a SUPER than i wouldnt concider it being in a Class 3 for 1/10th scale trucks right?

anybody that had a Jeep style with axial axles, this truck would make a Full Size truck look like a Chevy LUV truck.... If youv never seen one, its smaller than an S-10 lol

Last edited by Twiztid Metal; 05-29-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:42 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Here is where I think the Wraith fits the best, Class 3 or Modified. Slam the rig down, add some Axial Ripsaws (R35) and some beadlocks with some weight and your up and running.

I fully expect to see a dozen of these in our Modified scale class and we may just open up a spec or KOH class for kicks.

Could it be used in 2.2 comp and super class...Absolutely! The axles are perfect for that, but don't rule out narrowing the axles either

kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:59 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiztid Metal View Post
Well if its concidered 1/10th scale than that means the axles are about 11..." wide. that would put it at about 11ft wide axles on a real vehical? right according to my math. and well normal roads are only 8ft wide for a single lane.... 11' for an axles your looking at some tractors lol...

I would concider it more of an 1/8th scale or Super class if anything or an 1/8th scale SCALER.
11" wide axles in 1/10 scale are 110" in 1:1...not 11 feet,according to my math /.....which is a little over 9'
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:07 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels000 View Post
11" wide axles in 1/10 scale are 110" in 1:1...not 11 feet,according to my math /.....which is a little over 9'
YUP. your right

Edited for harley

Last edited by Twiztid Metal; 05-31-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:05 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiztid Metal View Post
depends on what scale. inches feet mm cm. lol 10th of 10 is 1. 10th of 10'= 1'

4+4=9 then?

9' is still quite large for any axle. even the large semi's fit on the road. finding a 9' automobile axle is quite difficult.
huh 4+4 =9

Thats why I stated 1/10th scale and converted inches to inches. In your OP you converted inches to feet....apples to oranges. You must convert in the same muesurement and that number will vary depending on what scale you are converting to.

Last edited by hotwheels000; 05-30-2011 at 08:04 PM.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:46 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

After looking it over, and seeing the vids, I'm kinda drooling for one myself.

But as this thread asks......is this as situation of Axial answering the question that wasn't asked?

It doesn't naturally fit into an existing competition class, so Axial is either expecting it to generate a new class or be used as a general basher. It's equipped with a 20T motor, so crawling isn't it's primary intended goal.

So what does the Wraith give me that I can't get out of a Stampede 4x4? It most closely would maybe compare to a SC truck w/solid axles and a scale type appearance.

Before the flamers start, I do drool over the rig and will likely buy one. I'm just wondering what Axial, know for comp category crawlers is expecting out of a new product that doesn't have a set market?

I'm guessing a new category of racing.....maybe something "baja" style....for it.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:16 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestYJ View Post
It would also be fun to set up a track and make it 3 laps or so with some technical rock sections and high speed stuff.
I got the RCCA magazine with the Wraith on the cover because it just looked so good. I am new to crawling but have been reading this forum since I was in Air Force tech school, trying to decide what scale rig I want to build and the I saw this. You are right, that would be such a sick type of race/class, it would probably also draw a lot more people from short course racing into rock crawling. It seems that the Wraith has drawn a line somewhere between SC racing and rock crawling and that it would only be appropriate to have a course that was sort of a mix of the two.
Numbcrawling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:28 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Once i get mine i plan on getting it setup so i can swap motors to suit what i want to do. Once i get a response on a couple questions i have, i plan on pulling the trigger on a motor. Worst case scenario is that it doesn't do what I want. If that happens I'll just sell it used to somebody.
-edit-
I would love to see a track that combines the slow technical aspect of rock crawling with some of the speed and jumps of off road. Maybe make it like a time trial. Start out with a rock crawling portion that transitions to a fast section with a few bumps and jumps. If you made it a circular track the rock section would have to be somewhat easy so that people could take multiple lines in order to pass each other.

Last edited by JonU; 05-30-2011 at 08:33 PM.
JonU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:18 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Axial just started a new class like losi did with their new xxxscb
Rebelspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:28 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelspawn View Post
Axial just started a new class like losi did with their new xxxscb
Hey, Losi didn't start a new class with the xxxscb, Kyosho did .
http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/ULTIMA-DB-_p_643.html

I know because I have one and love it. Now back on topic, can't wait to get a Wraith.
gapjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:22 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapjr View Post
Hey, Losi didn't start a new class with the xxxscb, Kyosho did .
http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/ULTIMA-DB-_p_643.html

I know because I have one and love it. Now back on topic, can't wait to get a Wraith.

Sweet!!
Rebelspawn is offline   Reply With Quote