Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Cant get drag brake to work

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2011, 11:13 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Cant get drag brake to work

I have exchanged the factory radio and receiver for a Dx3R set up. I have the drag at a 100% and I'm up to 20 on the trim step. 20 on my other rig works great? Any ideas?
The Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2011, 11:35 PM   #2
R.I.P. Chip

You shouldn't adjust the trim at all, that should be set to 0.

Did you calibrate the esc to the new radio?
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:03 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
You shouldn't adjust the trim at all, that should be set to 0.

Did you calibrate the esc to the new radio?
I'm not adj the trim, it's the trim step I think on this radio it's profiles, I'm not sure but like I say on my other rigs I can get my drag dialed in good.

I did calibrate the esc to the radio.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:56 AM   #4
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
I did calibrate the esc to the radio.
Set all your settings back to zero and do it again. Sounds like you didn't get it quite right the first time.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:19 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Set all your settings back to zero and do it again. Sounds like you didn't get it quite right the first time.
Just did it again, maybe I just looking for something I cant get out of this esc. All my other rigs with drag brake can come to a full stop on a hill, this one wont do it, just rolls simi slow. Is this there version of a drag brake
Old 06-24-2011, 02:31 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Trim step shouldn't matter. All that is, is the increments when you adjust the trim. Example, if set to 5, one press moves it from 0 to 5, or 5 to 10. Set to 20, one press moves it from 0-20, or 20-40. Finer trim adjustment is achieved by lowering the step number.
skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:42 AM   #7
Gettin’ back on the horse

From my experience its not the ESC, its the motor. IMO its an over geared cheap motor, works well for a RTR, but its not a motor that has performance in mind. Holding power is based more on the quality of motor, then the ESC from my experience.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:28 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Agreed. My drag brake was pretty good but after an hour or so went downhill fast. No settings changed or anything, i think the motor was just losing strength. A 10 dollar motor pushing 2.2s through mud will only make it so long.
RCram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:00 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I agree on the motor part,after thrashing last night for about 30mins continuously I could smell the motor and everything was really really warm. It didnt have the magic power anymore and woudl just roll downhill really really fast backwards.
docsrcrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:28 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Motor makes sense, didnt think about that cheep little motor it does get pretty hot after using a 2s. Time to get a better/faster motor
Old 06-25-2011, 05:43 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

I just ordered one of these for my son. He lives with his mom 8hrs away. So would it be best if I put better motor in it before I send it to him if so what is good one to replac it with it doesn't need comp worthy but if stocker crap sorry for long speal but I don't want him to have problems not to long in to owning it this is his first rc he's turnin 11 an I don't wanna turn him off hobby cause it breaks. I am hopin for lots of quality time spent at controls of rc
Whop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:09 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

I dont know what would last the longest. A higher turn will probably last longer and use less batt, but be slower. I have a holmes cobalt puller with a few hard hours on it and no sign of wear. So i ordered a few other hh motors like the 25 hand wound. Any motor will have a lifespan, JRH said 10 packs out of a 35 is not all that unreasonable. If you want to, I think you can replace brushes a few times before the comm will need work. But Im kinda new at this...
Old 06-25-2011, 11:11 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Ps if I were you I would think about an upgraded servo and horn...nothing too crazy is needed but I dont think the stock has metal gears, so it could go quick.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:22 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whop View Post
I just ordered one of these for my son. He lives with his mom 8hrs away. So would it be best if I put better motor in it before I send it to him if so what is good one to replac it with it doesn't need comp worthy but if stocker crap sorry for long speal but I don't want him to have problems not to long in to owning it this is his first rc he's turnin 11 an I don't wanna turn him off hobby cause it breaks. I am hopin for lots of quality time spent at controls of rc
I woud definitely say a decent rebuildable motor,I know my daughter burnt out a 13t on her stampede and literally melted the endbell right off of it doing donuts. So dont go too crazy with the turns plus you want him to have some runtime.

And definitely a decent servo(hitec 645ish) and horn,I trashed on mine and the output shaft is wobbly now and cant drive it straight. But then again I had planned on upgrading it and was just waiting to see what it would take as far as abuse.
docsrcrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:09 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

They are movin closer(4hrs away). In January so really just needs to last till then. I may put better servo on an send extra motor. I am hopin to get him hooked on this great hobby.
Whop is offline   Reply With Quote