Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Anyone bent/built their own TI Links?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2011, 06:45 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Anyone bent/built their own TI Links?

Not to knock the Vanquish or Chaotic options, but those prices keep me away.

Anyone actually built their own like we used to?

I need link lengths, otherwise I'll calculate them, just figured surely someone on here has likely made them.

If not I'll share my results.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I did, and then I decided to sell them!!!

Just giving you a hard time!
Chaotic Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Titanium isn't easy to cut, It will require a lathe for you to make your own. You can't just drill and tap it to my knowledge. I have access to a lathe and still just bought some. By the time you invest in making them, and tooling cost it's a better deal to just order them in my opinion. Most of our venders are not looking to make millions here and I think that anyone with a machining background will tell you, their prices are very resonable.
klabeaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I think he is referring to buying straight links from Lunsford and bending them himself
Chaotic Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:34 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by klabeaume View Post
By the time you invest in making them, and tooling cost it's a better deal to just order them in my opinion. Most of our venders are not looking to make millions here and I think that anyone with a machining background will tell you, their prices are very resonable.
Buy existing links in proper length, bend them (I have a bender that can bend 2 at once for exact bends) and good to go. Worked perfectly on my BJv4 on Bergs.

Crawling used to be about making your own.

I have nothing but praise about both vendors selling these, and noticing costs it's not that far off from doing it myself...one of them still might get my business since Lunsford is always hard to find the right link lengths in stock at one place anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic Crawlers View Post
I think he is referring to buying straight links from Lunsford and bending them himself
Exactly!
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:24 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Sorry guys I misunderstood the question then. I just got straight vanquish ti links today. They are very nice.

klabeaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:30 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Buy existing links in proper length, bend them (I have a bender that can bend 2 at once for exact bends) and good to go. Worked perfectly on my BJv4 on Bergs.

Crawling used to be about making your own.

I have nothing but praise about both vendors selling these, and noticing costs it's not that far off from doing it myself...one of them still might get my business since Lunsford is always hard to find the right link lengths in stock at one place anymore.

Exactly!
Don't lunford Ti links cost aroung $10 a piece anyway?
thats $80 a set. 10 X8. then you gotta bendem. So you save $15 or so. I save some of my time. If yer that hard up why spend $300 on a wraith.
gm0688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:20 PM   #8
RCC Addict

$300.00 on a wraith!!!!!!!!!!! Sign me up I'll take 2, here in Cali it was $365.00 plus tax at almost 10%......9.75% to be exact, almost $400 out the door for just the 1 box no batteries or anything else
halfcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:51 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfcab View Post
$300.00 on a wraith!!!!!!!!!!! Sign me up I'll take 2, here in Cali it was $365.00 plus tax at almost 10%......9.75% to be exact, almost $400 out the door for just the 1 box no batteries or anything else

Ordered from TOWER hate tell you $315 to local UPS store. $365 - $50 for club membership disount. Shipping none for club members. Tax none mail order
gm0688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:00 PM   #10

Default Re: Anyone bent/built their own TI Links?

Quote:
Originally Posted by klabeaume View Post
Sorry guys I misunderstood the question then. I just got straight vanquish ti links today. They are very nice.

Hi klabeaume,

what size are those links? Vanquish still has some straight ones I'm hoping to get.
Thanks!

racer155
racer155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfcab View Post
Mine was less than $300 otd at the LHS.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I have the old Vanquish 1/4" ones and they are great. I know the 3/16" are plenty strong enough, but they look too skinny in my opinion. I made 1/4" ones from thick walled aluminum tubing from McMaster Carr and those hold up great. I'm considering sleeving them with teflon tubing next time.

Anyway, easiest thing is to just measure what you have. I used a coat hanger to bend the matching link and account for Revo ball ends. After that, I bent, drilled, and tapped for m4 threads.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote