Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith with New Roof Panel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2011, 08:35 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Wraith with New Roof Panel

Got my Wraith the other day and before running it changed the servo for a JR8711. Also added a CC BEC and lowered the ride height. Peeled the majority of the stickers off and made a new roof panel.

I went to a local hardware store and found some thin white kydex, nice big sheet only cost me $1...

A few pics...

I have yet to take it on the rocks and give it a shakedown run. I did noticed that bashing around in the grass and parking lot the stock motor gets quite warm. I think a drop in pinion size will be in done to remedy the heat.
1rcmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2011, 04:36 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Was able to get some running in today. Top speed is impressive and it crawls pretty decent too. Going to re-gear to a 15t pinion, that should help with the motor heat and make it crawl better too. Ordered the Vanquish ti steering link, the plastic one flexes way too much. Also ordered the white styrene hood from Dinky R/C, hoping to add a cowl type hood scoop and maybe a shroud in front of windshield area. Should have time this week to paint the side panels....

Will post pics of progress...

Thanks for looking...
Old 07-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Got the Vanquish link installed and painted the side panels. I cut a piece of kydex to fill in the empty area on the back of the rig. Shot the side panels with a silver base topped with white.

The Dinky R/C hood showed up yesterday, trimmed up and fitted. Will be cutting the headlight area open at a later date, have a fun run this weekend.

Went to change the pinion to a 15t and it would not mesh with the 80t spur. Ended up going with a 16/87, the final drive is close to where I was hoping for with 15/80.

A few pics....

Old 07-29-2011, 06:47 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rcmonster View Post
Got the Vanquish link installed and painted the side panels. I cut a piece of kydex to fill in the empty area on the back of the rig. Shot the side panels with a silver base topped with white.

The Dinky R/C hood showed up yesterday, trimmed up and fitted. Will be cutting the headlight area open at a later date, have a fun run this weekend.

Went to change the pinion to a 15t and it would not mesh with the 80t spur. Ended up going with a 16/87, the final drive is close to where I was hoping for with 15/80.

A few pics....

like this a lot. great work. Needs a storm trooper to drive it.
daign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:13 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I have a couple of action figures, sorry no stormtrooper, one is a bit short the other a froghair too tall. I have just begun making this truck my own. Many more changes are in the works...

Thanks for the compliment...
Old 08-01-2011, 08:28 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Unbelievable how nice this looks in plain white.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

How did you lower it that much?
somedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:20 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I flipped the lower mounts on both axles. In the rear I flipped the upper shock mount too and remounted the shock in stock location. The front shocks are laid back closer to the interior, 3rd hole. I also ran the spring adjusters all the way to the top of the shocks.

It handles much better now and is less prone to rolling.

Also the gear change to 16/87 is much closer to where I was wanting it. Motor runs alot cooler now on 2s.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:56 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Default Updates...

Well I had some more time to work on my Wraith. I relocated the tail lights to the upper braces of the rollcage. I just had to drill a 3/32" hole and countersink it a bit with an 1/8" bit. It did not seem to weaken the tube work any.

I also added a Reign R/C whip antenna and a fire extinguisher. The zipties holding the extinguisher on also hold the tail light wires.

Finally had a chance to get it out on the rocks and also a pile of agrilime. The agrilime was really hard from all the rain we have had, it was a blast running on it. The stock tires seems to work pretty well for the rocks and the hardened agrilime pile.

The gear change was pretty close to where I was wanting to be, may go up 1 or 2 teeth on the pinion. Motor was cool after running for an hour or so.

Here are a few pics...

I still need to open up the headlight area on the hood and add my driver figure...
Old 08-06-2011, 09:26 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Really wish I had a wraith. Running yours today was a blast.
tqcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:38 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Now it doesn't look like all the others. Looks good
Mriswith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:16 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the comments.

I really like how the tail lights look up under the roof panel. I have seen it before on 1:1 rigs and liked the idea.

I pulled the front diff cover off this morning and got rid of the ribbing, ribs are only for looks. I shot it with some black Krylon Fusion paint. Also opened up the headlight holes. Once it is all back together I will post some pics.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

nice rig man....
Do u still running stock motor with 15t/80 spur??
I was thinking to run 35t motor with 20t/80 spur, but don't know if it is gonna be to slow or not

thanks
rcscaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:00 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

That's a good looking rig!!!!

I love the white and the ride height.
Chaotic Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Default More stuff added...

I got the driver in, extended the steering wheel by 1 1/4". I used a section of carbonfiber arrow that I had laying around. Had to relocate the fire extinguisher so the driver was more comfortable.

Made a tonnue cover out of vinyl, will make it tough to change the battery. The vinyl is captured by the side panels and just draped over the front crossbar behind the seats.

Opened up the headlight holes on the Dinky R/C hood and found some decals for the grille and light trim.

As for the gearing question. The 15/80 would not mesh so I am geared at 16/87. Still running the stock motor. Once the stock motor gives up on me I will change it for a Traxxas 21t Emaxx motor.

Some pics from todays bashfest...

Thanks for looking...
Old 08-07-2011, 06:01 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Nice shots of bashfest Dave. Rigs looking good
venom-crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:03 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

The last 2 shots, Tony must have driving, " Pinch It! "
Mriswith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:17 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mriswith View Post
The last 2 shots, Tony must have driving, " Pinch It! "
No sir, that was all Dave. He is throttle happy when he knows someone is taking pictures. I have to say the camera person did an awesome job on those last to action shots.
tqcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:32 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the compliments guys.

For being just a pile of agrilime it sure can be alot of fun and challenging as well...
Old 08-11-2011, 06:52 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Default Updates...

I picked up a set of Pitbull Rockbeasts mounted on Axial black chrome wheels. This should help with the low speed crawling, no more tire squealing for me...

Some pics...

Thanks for looking...