Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Rotating c hubs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Rotating c hubs?

Has anyone tried rotating the C Hubs on the Wraith forward one or two teeth on the spline? It looks like it would give the steering linkage a little more room in front of the diff cover. Adverse effects on the steering capability? It doesn't look like it would hurt anything but figured I would ask.
boulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2011, 08:32 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

I'm going to try it and see if it does what I think it will. My linkage is rubbing on the diff cover at full deflection so I'm going to give it some room. We'll see what happens.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:47 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Ok...still rubs just changes the place it hits the diff cover. I guess the only way to change that would be longer steering arms...maybe I'll fab my own...we'll see. I'm going to leave it like this and see how it drives, can't imagine it will make a difference and it just looks better to me, more scale I guess.

I have no idea why little things like this bug me...
Old 08-14-2011, 08:54 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Typically you want to roll the c-hubs BACK to gain more negative caster. There are definite benefits of negative caster.
By rotating them forward you may actually have ADDED caster and now you are in a positive caster situation and that is not usually a good thing. If you look up negative an positive caster you will be able to see the differences. One easy way to picture it is the front end of a motorcyle. If its stretched out really long and the tire is way out in front of the bit it will turn nice and easy. If the front wheel is almost straight down under the handle bars the bike will turn very quickly and be hard to control. Since your rig is mostly a scaler you might not really notice it very much in every day driving but you should try to read up and see what suites you best.
Illeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:17 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

I know what you mean. I don't notice a difference in the castor from stock to one tooth forward, but I'm sure it's there. I did notice it changed my steering trim by a few clicks but not in the feel of the steering. I'm sure going to read up on that a bit to see how much difference it might make in crawling, which I'm sure is a lot less than if I was racing.

Thanks for reminding me about this, that's why I like this place, full of great info!!
Old 08-14-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

I looked it up and according to what I read the top pivot point towards the rear would actually be positive caster, which, either name it's considered, it's still a benefit to have it put back in the stock position for handling at speed. I will do that the next time I have the front end apart.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:41 AM   #7
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder View Post
it's still a benefit to have it put back in the stock position for handling at speed.
You will have better handling with the C's rolled back then in the stock position. Not exactly sure where you are reading the other information. Look at EVERY off-road racing buggy/truggy.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:21 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

The situation you will notice the benefits of negative caster the most is on an incline, though it is beneficial at speed and in other situations.

Positive caster is not beneficial in way way, shape or form, unless having your front end wash out is a desired effect.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #9
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post

Positive caster is not beneficial in way way, shape or form, unless having your front end wash out is a desired effect.
Or you drive fast in reverse all the time
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:33 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
You will have better handling with the C's rolled back then in the stock position. Not exactly sure where you are reading the other information. Look at EVERY off-road racing buggy/truggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
The situation you will notice the benefits of negative caster the most is on an incline, though it is beneficial at speed and in other situations.

I found my info here:

http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/align.html

here:

http://www.thedirtforum.com/castersimplified.htm

and here:

http://www.intraxracing.nl/?cat=prod...oe-out&lang=EN

Doesn't matter to me what it's called, it still benefits to have the c-hubs back to the stock position. I've already changed it back...got bored last night and decided to fix it.