Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Bought a Wraith for my husband's birthday, need help finding extra parts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2011, 12:32 PM   #1

Default Bought a Wraith for my husband's birthday, need help finding extra parts.

Hello everyone. I hope some of you can help me with my issue, I found this site bookmarked on our computer, so I hope I'm in the right place. First off, I know nothing about these things, so go easy on me. For my husbands birthday I ordered him a Wraith. Knowing him like I do, he won't be able to leave it the way it was made, so I want to get him some better parts. I looked on the site and came across a post with all kinds of reviews and recommendations in it. I think it was written by Harly, but don't quote me on that.

I wrote down some of the information he provided (C-Hubs, Knuckles,SCT ESC,Tie Rod,Ackasomething or other, flipping some part to make the springs work better) but that means nothing to me. I tried to find the parts by googling them, but Axial makes so many cars, and I wasn't sure if I could buy anything by Axial and it would fit? I did look up the Vanquish site and saw several Tie rods, and various links, but I didn't know if they were all the same, or how many I needed and so on. Is there a website that has a list of the part names or numbers so I buy the right ones.
Here's what I bought (Ordered) so far. I don't mind searching, but I'm not sure what to search for, or where I can to buy it from.

Here are some things I already got.

Wraith Truck - Which is sitting in my office at work safe from prying eyes
Thunder Power Dual Port, High Power, Charger/Discharger/Balancer (TP820CD) (Recommended by the hobby store RC guy)
Castle Monster Max Pro SCT speed controller and motor (2400KVH) (I found that in the thread I was reading)
3s battery (not sure of the brand) (RC guy told me to buy it)

What else does he need? Are the things I ordered good, or should I get something different? What about all the other parts I saw in the post, I thought I saw something about parts breaking if it is a high power motor, is 2400 considered high? I'm really sorry for all the questions, I just know he really wants this truck, so I want to do my best to really surprise him. I just hope he likes it.
WraithWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
20K Club

Here is everything I have on my truck and where you can get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Current Setup
Front Axle
Vanquish C-hubs
Vanquish Knuckles
Futaba S9157 Servo
Vanquish Drag Link
Vanquish Tie Rod
Vanquish Smooth Diff Cover
RC4WD XVD's
Robotronics "style" servo horn PM "renoirbud" here on RCC

Rear Axle
Vanquish C-hubs
Vanquish Knuckles
Futaba S9157 Servo
Vanquish Drag Link
Vanquish Tie Rod
Vanquish Smooth Diff Cover
RC4WD XVD's
Futaba 1" aluminum servo horn

Rolling Stock
Vanquish SSZ-11 2.2 Black
Vanquish 475 hubs
Stock Axial Ripsaws Stock
Stock Foams Stock
No weight Stock

Transmission
Robinson Racing Idler Gear
Robinson Racing Final Gear
20 tooth Stock Axial Pinion Stock
87 tooth Spur Gear

Driveshafts
MIP CVD Driveshafts for AX10 without dig
Traxxas driveshaft pins

Suspension
Vanquish Upper Links x 2
Vanquish Lower Links x 2
Proline Powerstroke front shocks for Slash x 2
DLUX machined shock balls

Chassis and Body
DMG full Stiffy kit PM "the DMG" here on RCC
Freq E Skinz PM "Freq E Tag" here on RCC
DMG aluminum roof panel PM "the DMG" here on RCC
Team 3six seats and scale acc.

Power and Control
Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster 13t handwound
Holmes Hobbies waterproof BRXL
Castle Creations BEC
Futaba 4PKS
Futaba R614FF RX (included with 4PKS)
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithWife View Post
Here are some things I already got.

Wraith Truck - Which is sitting in my office at work safe from prying eyes
Thunder Power Dual Port, High Power, Charger/Discharger/Balancer (TP820CD) (Recommended by the hobby store RC guy)
Castle Monster Max Pro SCT speed controller and motor (2400KVH) (I found that in the thread I was reading)
3s battery (not sure of the brand) (RC guy told me to buy it)

What else does he need? Are the things I ordered good, or should I get something different? What about all the other parts I saw in the post, I thought I saw something about parts breaking if it is a high power motor, is 2400 considered high? I'm really sorry for all the questions, I just know he really wants this truck, so I want to do my best to really surprise him. I just hope he likes it.
The motor and ESC will be fun for high speed, the motor may lack a little on the crawling side. Still a good choice for having fun going fast and the ESC will be pefect for whatever he wants in the future if he ever wants to change it.

A nice upgrade are the Vanquish links (2 x uppers and 2 x lowers), Vanquish tie rod and drag links (one of each).

More than anything I say just give him the truck and what you already got him. I would love to get one as a gift and just have my wife tell me I could buy a bunch of upgrades too!
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

wow. hope this is my wife.

crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post

Here is everything I have on my truck and where you can get it.
Harley, OMG, thank you SOOOO much this will totally help. You are right though, maybe I will get him a Visa Gift card with enough to buy the parts. That way if he would prefer something a little different he could get it.

Quote:
wow. hope this is my wife.
To be honest, I don't have any idea what his screen name is, so you are right. He could see this thread and have no clue. That makes it even better
Old 08-24-2011, 09:17 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

get him some MIP driveshafts for the ax-10 as the stock shafts will break quick!

heres a link- http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/mip08101.htm
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:56 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

WOW....nice wife....the gift card is an awesome idea....I'm sure that would put as big a smile on his face as giving it to him naked...
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:52 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Please by all means don't feel this is a family show. In fact in the chit chat section there is a thread titled who has the hottest wife... Contribute as needed.
Or if you see your pics there we also have a classified section that you can sell that wraith in.
Ahahah
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postclanker View Post
WOW....nice wife....the gift card is an awesome idea....I'm sure that would put as big a smile on his face as giving it to him naked...
I would, but the truth is I don't think he would even see me standing there all he would see is the truck......
Old 08-24-2011, 11:43 AM   #10

I may have to head over to that thread you mentioned, it would be interesting to see if he put my picture in there.... Oh the fun I could have muahaahaahaahaahaa......
Old 08-24-2011, 12:55 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

That's evilishly funny! If ur pics is not there. Post one and roll with the the fun. As for the gift card, Sort of impersonal. You already have done so much research. You have the truck. Harley's list is spot on for parts. I used the vanquish website and amainhobbies.com for parts order. your so close. I would finish the gift. He'll be blown away.
buzzbuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by calikingcrawler View Post
He drinks the beer, passes out and you make due by using the batteries.

I wish my wife was this cool.
Why does he get to drink all the beer???? Although, I don't remember hearing him complain when "WE" invite BOB to playtime...... OK, I think I've said enough......

So back to RC cars..... I read somewhere that you should consider replacing gears if you have too much bower, would this setup fall into that catagory? I plan on ordering several of the Vanquish parts Harley recommended in his post (thank you again Harley).

Front Axle
Vanquish C-hubs
Vanquish Knuckles
Vanquish Drag Link
Vanquish Tie Rod

Rear Axle
Vanquish C-hubs
Vanquish Knuckles
Vanquish Drag Link
Vanquish Tie Rod

Would this be a good start, or is there a few other things I should get right away. I do want him to be bale to add some parts of his own as well, which is why I figured I would get all the parts from one place and let him order the rest.

Again, I really appreciate all your help, especially when your willing to help someone like me who knows nothing. I will admit I've learned a lot over the last couple days. I could never understand the reason behind getting a new car and immediately ripping it apart, but it is starting to make sense now.

Just don't tell him, it's more entertaining watching him try and hide the new parts he bought, or better yet, watching him squirm when he wants to buy something new for his other cars....
Old 08-25-2011, 08:46 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

The rear axle components are for going to rear steer, if that is your intent you will also need another servo. If not going rear steer, you will not need those parts.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawler Konceptz View Post
That might help pay for the KenBloc Rally Car that I just got bought from rbgerrish...Can't run the wraith on carpet here....
Why not? Don't they all run on carpet????? I guess I still have a lot to learn, lol
Old 08-25-2011, 10:38 PM   #15
TEAM MODERATOR

Ok boys and girls......... Let's keep it to tech. If y'all wanna "e-flirt" or get your jollys talking to another mans wife, PM her or something.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:28 AM   #16

Moving back to the tech nature of the thread. I've been doing some research, and noticed people recommend a BEC(what is it) when running 3s battery packs.I know the pack I bought is 3s, but I also read it only applies to the original ESC (I think that's what it's called) Should I order one, or just wait for now and let him try it out and see it it really needs it or not?
Old 08-26-2011, 08:32 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels000 View Post
The rear axle components are for going to rear steer, if that is your intent you will also need another servo. If not going rear steer, you will not need those parts.
So I shouldn't order any of the parts for the Rear Axel? Just the front? Thanks for the heads up.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithWife View Post
So I shouldn't order any of the parts for the Rear Axel? Just the front? Thanks for the heads up.
Its up to you or the hubby if you want rear steer. I personally love it, just thought I would throw that out there in case you were not aware of the direction those parts would take you and the needed accesories to accomplish it.You will also need servo posts. Another thing is unless he has a 3 channel radio,rear steer will need to be Y harnessed into the front steering channel. And , if he intends on running a winch, that will need to be connected via a hand held controller...... So, adding winches and rear steer almost mandates a 4 channel radio to operate everything smoothly and effiecently. A Futaba 4pl would be a nice inexpensive way to accomplish all of the addition radio requirements.

To answer the other question about a BEC....yes, defenetly get one. Castle creations 10 amp is perfect. It will allow you to set the voltage to the rx/servo,keep the esc cooler by reduceing the stress on it and it will keep the electronics from browning out under high stress/loads.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels000 View Post
Its up to you or the hubby if you want rear steer. I personally love it, just thought I would throw that out there in case you were not aware of the direction those parts would take you and the needed accesories to accomplish it.You will also need servo posts. Another thing is unless he has a 3 channel radio,rear steer will need to be Y harnessed into the front steering channel. And , if he intends on running a winch, that will need to be connected via a hand held controller...... So, adding winches and rear steer almost mandates a 4 channel radio to operate everything smoothly and effiecently. A Futaba 4pl would be a nice inexpensive way to accomplish all of the addition radio requirements.

To answer the other question about a BEC....yes, defenetly get one. Castle creations 10 amp is perfect. It will allow you to set the voltage to the rx/servo,keep the esc cooler by reduceing the stress on it and it will keep the electronics from browning out under high stress/loads.
Is 4WS hard to set up??? Are there any tips and tricks (like Harley's bible) that provide a road map to putting it all together? SOOOOOO now the key question, what would you recommend for a vehicle for me. The only type of driving I have done with my hubby's other cars/trucks. I am happy to start a new thread in a different area if necessary.... As I said earlier, after doing all this research it would only be a matter of time until I would want one of my own.

Maybe I should hint that to the hubby.... Soo, would you like to goto the hobby store this weekend?? I was thinking about getting into the hobby myself and want some help buying a car I bet there will be a vapor trail to the hobby shop....
Old 08-26-2011, 11:17 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I say do it... those that play together stay together. I would recommend a Wraith or a SCX10 both from Axial.

Last edited by wally101; 08-26-2011 at 11:19 AM.
wally101 is offline   Reply With Quote