Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Hitec 7955tg servo on stock wraith question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Hitec 7955tg servo on stock wraith question

Can i run the hitec 7955tg 333 oz in servo on an otherwise stock wraith without using a bec? thanks for any help
crawleR07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawleR07 View Post
Can i run the hitec 7955tg 333 oz in servo on an otherwise stock wraith without using a bec? thanks for any help
I would not, it's going to draw way to much power and the truck will brownout. It's not physically going to hurt anything, i don't think but you will notice loss of power while steering.
I'm running a mamba max pro which has a good internal BEC, with two associated DS1015 high torque servos, (front and rear) which are around 300 oz in and I still need an external BEC because the servos draw so much current.

Last edited by Slowsteve; 09-04-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Slowsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

will the 10 amp castle bec do the job in this situation? how do they hook up? sorry ive never used one before.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
will the 10 amp castle bec do the job in this situation? how do they hook up? sorry ive never used one before.
The search button is your friend!
biggin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:27 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Yup it will do you just fine, really easy to hook up check out castles web site, the have a diagram.
Slowsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

thanks slowsteve appreesh the help. as for the search button its easier just to ask someone who knows than to sift through 40 pages to find what i want sometimes.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:45 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
castles website shows how to hook them up, or when you buy it there is a diagram on the back or check this out . . . .

courtesy of Thomas @ RMDW

this method skips the rx all together to provide battery voltage straight to the servo . . . the only thing the rx does is send a signal voltage to the servo to make it go back and fourth. it isnt trying to power the servo.

and a really easy way of wiring it this way would be to use the paradox BEC jack. . . . which is a jumper harness that plugs to your servo, bec and a leader to send signal wire to your rx. its plug and play and really easy to use, plus it still allows for programming of your ccbec later on.

hope this helps

Last edited by Chappy4o; 09-04-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Chappy4o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:53 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

A r/x capacitor will bandaid it but wont replace a ccbec. The sidewinder(pretty much all castle esc's) does not do well with high power servos.
omenwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:47 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
thanks slowsteve appreesh the help. as for the search button its easier just to ask someone who knows than to sift through 40 pages to find what i want sometimes.
I 100% agree with most of the time.. I've searched forum for years now and with people using weird title names and everyone using abbreviations you never find what you need. Plus I find the search features on ALL forums i use to be the same and less than helpful.. There are times I can't find a topic I started.

I just spliced my castle bec into the red and black battery wires and plugged the other end into the bind hole on the receiver. Works awesome.

Sent from my highly abused iPhone using Tapatalk
madkawi650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:52 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Great info guys, hopefully this helps more noobs than just myself....wraith arrives tomorrow and I can't freakin wait to get my hands on it, my gf is going to be soo jealous hahaha
Old 10-08-2011, 07:48 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Im gathering some parts together b-4 i pick up my wraith kit, my lhs sold me a 7955tg for $105 Does the aluminum servo horn that comes with it work? or is a longer one needed for more throw?
Cableman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:59 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableman View Post
Im gathering some parts together b-4 i pick up my wraith kit, my lhs sold me a 7955tg for $105 Does the aluminum servo horn that comes with it work? or is a longer one needed for more throw?
Cableman,

Will it work..... Yes... its a matter of personal preference... some of us like the style of a servo horn to be a clamp style..... you should definitely go with alum....

That being said there are many companys that offer alum servo horns.... Robitronics, racers edge and many more to choose from...

Sorry this prob isnt much help...
Losi6821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

i cant say for sure if the servo you have will work WITHOUT a bec, but i'm running a jr z9000t servo on mine. it works fine WITHOUT a bec. i'm only running 2s lipo's tho. i know if you go 3s you NEED a bec.

i have a bec to install, but i'm waiting till i switch everything over to deans connectors. also i'm probably going with a HH brxl esc, and with that esc i shouldn't need an external bec.
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:13 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Harley made an excellent diagram in his stickied post:

TEAM DEBEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:45 AM   #15
XDR
Pebble Pounder

I run the HS-5955TG, the model that the 7955 replaced using the method above for the time being. I ran it with all stock steering and now have the VP tie rods and drag link. It has enough torque that I know my c-hubs or knuckles will break but I'm fine with that since my plans are to replace them anyways. you can use the 10 amp BEC for 1 servo no problem, maybe even 2 servos. If you run a 3rd servo you'd need a 2nd 10 amp or a BEC Pro (The route I took)
XDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:17 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Anyone know the performance differences between wiring the bec directly to the servo as castles site diagrams or to the esc as axials diagrams?
troutbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:13 AM   #17
XDR
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum View Post
Anyone know the performance differences between wiring the bec directly to the servo as castles site diagrams or to the esc as axials diagrams?
its to the rx not esc. reason for wiring direct is to not overload the rx.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:44 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Sorry, meant rx Is this important on the "whimpier" rx that comes stock?
All I'm wanting to do is add a 7950th to the original elcetronics setup (plus bec) and use 2s lipo. Would I still need to protect the rx with just this change?
troutbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:02 AM   #19
XDR
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum View Post
Sorry, meant rx Is this important on the "whimpier" rx that comes stock?
All I'm wanting to do is add a 7950th to the original elcetronics setup (plus bec) and use 2s lipo. Would I still need to protect the rx with just this change?
As of right now I have my BEC Pro powering my RX and 1 servo. When I setup my rear steer and dig I will be wiring direct so I don't have an overload of current draw through my RX. So in my opinion and research I think it is ok if your just powering the 1 servo, but if you add more I'd do the direct method. And remember to remove the red wire coming from your ESC!
Old 10-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

The only reason to wire straight to servo as opposed to going to rx, is for a higher voltage servo (program bec for higher voltage) and skipping the rx if it can't handle said voltage. Other than that, plugging into the rx at standard voltage will give your system the amperage it needs for a high amp draw servo works well
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote