Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Axials New Links....?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Axials New Links....?

I dont know how many of you still go to the main RCC page but I stop in there from time to time to see whats new. They have up there that Axial released new aluminum links for the Wraith like the ones that comes in the kit version. Heres where I am confused, They show straight links however every other company has made some sort of bent/curved link for the Wraith. Will straight links work? Do you have to run some wierd bent rod ends?
4ONDFLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

i made my own straight links out of revo ends and aluminum sleeve, with thread rod inserts. all lower links straight, didnt do upers yet. see no reason for the bent ones, straights work fine.
lagz2point0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:25 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I asked this question too in another section and AXIAL themselfs said that straight uppers wouldnt work because it would hit the drive shafts? not sure on why they are selling straight links for it...

well here is your anwser, since nobody likes to read

The Threaded Aluminum Links are the Factory Axial option parts to replace plastic lower arms on the Wraith RTR and are a perfect upgrade for the RTR enthusiast who seek higher impact load resistance and or upgraded motors that are putting more stress on the suspension. These Aluminum Links will not flex under heavy power transfer for true straight-line performance. Installing the Threaded Aluminum Links will require the use of the following items to install: AX80018 (plastic balls) -or- AXA1331 Steel Flange Ball / AX80057 Link Ends / AXA187 Set Screws.

most likely you can upgrade the uppers if you buy the right bent links..

Last edited by Twiztid Metal; 09-17-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Twiztid Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:51 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

'nuff said . . . custom aluminum links with axial 45* rod ends . . . . . works perfect . . . . the reason for the curvy links is IMHO for form rather than function and so that straight rod ends can be used . . . i dont see why it would make a difference . . . . but they sure look cool
Chappy4o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:54 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

The Question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiztid Metal View Post
Hay badger, Looks fun and awsome. I have a question you might know, Why is there bent upers and straight lowers?? is if for drive shaft clearance? and if some one were to upgrade to aluminum, do they have to have bent uppers or could straight uppers and straight lowers work??

The Results:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axial View Post
Yes, the bent uppers are for clearance of the driveshaft. We will have an option links pack coming out shortly that you can use to upgrade your links. I wouldn't recommend a straight link for the uppers since it will limit your articulation and rub on the driveshaft.

The upper link is based off the stock XR10 upper link, the difference being it is a one piece design, the XR0 is a three piece upper link held together with setscrews. The stage 3 option links pack for the XR10 will not work with the Wraith.
The Thread:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...60#post3121560
Twiztid Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:30 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

As far as looks go. I really like the Vanquish links. They appear to be the same diameter as the tube chassis. Also being bent, adds alot of style. Plus you can turn the lower link's peak of the bend, either down or out. Turned out, allows for a little more flexability. However, If you are running the MIP AX10 shafts. The bend turned down better protects the cup of the shaft.
buzzbuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:15 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I have strait links on mine as well 98mm with bent ends at the axles and strait end at the tranny and they work great.

omenwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:43 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Problem with the Axial bent rodends is that they are weak. Broke them quite often on my first comp rig. Going with the straight rodends from a Revo or something similar wont rip apart. And the way I treat my Wraith I know they wouldnt last.
mtdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:06 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Nice stuff in here...answered a few questions I had

Thanks.
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:29 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdriver View Post
Problem with the Axial bent rodends is that they are weak. Broke them quite often on my first comp rig. Going with the straight rodends from a Revo or something similar wont rip apart. And the way I treat my Wraith I know they wouldnt last.
And Bingo was his name-o. I've broken too many Axial endlinks to use them on my Wraith. Maybe I'd use them on the uppers, but they wouldn't last in the lowers, IMO. I want to replace my plastic links, but really don't like the swoopy, curved designs that are available. They just don't look realistic.

I'm curious about the endlinks that will be used in the new kit Wraith. Hopefully they're stronger since the links are 7mm vs. 5mm (IIRC). If so, I'll try them out.
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I installed some green axial links top and bottom on my wraith but the 3mm studs and ends are just weak and kept breaking on me. My buddy eggoz tapped and rethreaded my links to accept 4mm studs and revo ends and this thing is bulletproof ..... just my 2¢

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
stroker613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:13 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker613 View Post
I installed some green axial links top and bottom on my wraith but the 3mm studs and ends are just weak and kept breaking on me. My buddy eggoz tapped and rethreaded my links to accept 4mm studs and revo ends and this thing is bulletproof ..... just my 2¢

I wondered about the Axial links fitting....I suspect they do since you are using them...
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:19 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

it made the wheelbase a little longer but like I said, they are pretty stout.

stroker613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:55 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
And Bingo was his name-o. I've broken too many Axial endlinks to use them on my Wraith. Maybe I'd use them on the uppers, but they wouldn't last in the lowers, IMO. I want to replace my plastic links, but really don't like the swoopy, curved designs that are available. They just don't look realistic.

I'm curious about the endlinks that will be used in the new kit Wraith. Hopefully they're stronger since the links are 7mm vs. 5mm (IIRC). If so, I'll try them out.
RC4WD has some that look like stock but are aluminum
Chappy4o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:03 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy4o View Post
RC4WD has some that look like stock but are aluminum
I've actually got some, but they get wallowed out over time.
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote