Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith as crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2011, 05:53 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Wraith as crawler

Hey. Dunno if this has been posted before or not but how does the wraith go as a crawler? Theres a second hand one for sale and im looking for a crawler atm but worried that its too fast. Would i be better just saving for a scx10?
Thanks.
motas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2011, 06:09 AM   #2
XDR
Pebble Pounder

It would work fine as a crawler, just change the gearing. Mine is setup as a crawler.
XDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:13 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

I thought that but not sure on the differences between these and scx10 or ax10. Is the only real disadvantage the gearing? I will be running more on mud and dirt than rock so would this be better?
Thanks.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:24 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Drop in a 35t or higher brushed motor and throw in some wheel weights and you'll have yourself one damn fine crawler!

Mine:
LRP brushless crawler esc and 21.5 motor w/ 87T spur - 20T pinion

2cell 4000mah lipo, (well over 3hrs run time with lights on)

4.5oz of weight in each front wheel - 4oz in each rear, TSL Super Swampers

droop springs w/ 80wt shock oil,

And the thing crawls like a mountain goat!
Turn'Nburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:33 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

The only thing is I'm trying to keep costs down so would rather keep stock motor. Would wheel weights and better gearing make it a good trail rig?
Thanks.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:49 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by motas View Post
The only thing is I'm trying to keep costs down so would rather keep stock motor. Would wheel weights and better gearing make it a good trail rig?
Thanks.
Yes!

But a fair bit of warning, the stock motor didn't last me very long and I have seen several others on here say they cooked their's fairly quick also.

You can pick up an Integy lathe motor fairly cheap.
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/intscm3501.htm

Turn'Nburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:54 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Oh wow i was expecting at least $100. I dont think ill be pusing it too hard. Its more slippery stuff than grippy surfaces that will put force on everything. Been watching vids of stock ones and I think slightly slower gearing will do it fine for mud and sticks.
Thanks for your help guys sounds like wraith will do me fine. Just need to see how much he wants for it now.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:50 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by motas View Post
Thanks.
IF you are concerned with speed, I say do not add wheel weights, but add knuckle and axle weight. you will loose wheel torque and speed not to mention start break parts because of the additional mass wheel weight. adding wheel weight is a no.

Last edited by toy4crawlin; 09-28-2011 at 05:27 PM.
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:15 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4crawlin View Post
IF you are concerned with speed, I say do not add wheel weights, but add knuckle and axle weight. you will loose wheel torque and speed not to mention start break parts because of the additional mass wheel weight. adding wheel weight is a no.
You'll need four scales. One under each tire. Add weight to the axle as needed to achieve total truck balance. Or what ever setup you have in mind.
Just important left and right balance. Front and rear depends on terrain.

Last edited by buzzbuzzard; 09-28-2011 at 12:20 PM.
buzzbuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:22 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

easy way: the most common front weight on MOA's is 6oz per front wheel
So since you have no motor in front but in middle you will need to experiment a bit or ask the SCx10 folks how they add weight and how much.
Best, cheapest way for measuring weight is grab some weights and go to the post office and use the scale they have in the lobby.
Also there are a couple vendors that sell knuckle weights that are specific like axial knuckles XR10 and some people with threads about how to add knuckle weight. be creative
I put XR10 knuckles on scx10 axles to get more steering. I believe they just came out with weights for these types of knuckles.

Last edited by toy4crawlin; 09-28-2011 at 05:28 PM.
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:05 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

so far mine has turned out to be an excellent crawler/trail rig. i've added proline titus beadlock wheels with the proline 8oz weights in each front tire and no weight in the back wheels. the wheel weights came with the wheels when i bought them. added a set of proline tsl/sx tires (very realistic look, almost exactly like my 38.5's on the fullsize!). i added an 18 tooth pinion gear (stock is 20). this slowed it down a little, made slow crawling alot better. flipped the stock lower shock mounts, added a new servo (because i got a good deal on it), and made my own tie rod.

the stock motor has held up great for me. i bet we've (me and my 9 year old daughter) have ran 20 packs thru it so far. running 3300mah 2s batteries. the stock esc has been fine.
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:04 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

We've got paint scales accurate to like .01 kg. I've found a dirty cheap ax 10 that comes with a nitro truggy so I think I'll go that route.
Thanks anyway for your help.