Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Hot Racing differential locker issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2011, 09:25 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Hot Racing differential locker issue

So got my Wraith upgrade care package from rpp yesterday. One of the things I ordered was the HR differential locker:

http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/hotscp125r.htm

I've used this before in AX10 axles with no issues. Not so with the Wraith. Putting it in the rear axle with underdrive gears, I'm getting a lot of binding. Part of it was due to the screws that come with the locker (replaced with the stock Axial ones and it got rid of the rubbing), but still getting too much binding. Anyone else using these lockers running into this issue? I know I can solve it by a little grinding down of the locker or case, but maybe I just got a bum locker?

On a related point, what upgraded lockers are people using successfully in their Wraith axles? Falsenfests? Others?
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2011, 09:31 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

hmmm...those are what im gonna use as well..

any pics?
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
[HOONIGAN]

I tried to start assembling my Kit last might and ran into a similar problem with my stock gears and locker. The short side shaft doesn't seat far enough for the straight axle end caps to seat all of the way (about 1/16" gap) which would cause some serious binding if you forced it together. If this is the same problem you are having it might not be the locker but the back side of the ring gear recess not being deep enough, or it could be that the flange on the short straight axle was machined too close to the end of the shaft not allowing it to seat far enough. I'll try and look at it again today after work and start swapping parts to see if I can get something to work.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:01 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Nope, thought of that as I ran into that issue with super 300s in Axial axles (slight bit of grinding on the locker side of them fixed it). The binding happens even with the inner axles out. With the stock locker/diff cup and underdrive gears, no binding at all (although I've always found the mesh between the ring and pinion on underdrive gears to be less smooth than stock ratio).

The locker with bearings goes in to the axle, but it's a tight fit, doesn't just drop in. So I definitely think something is off with the tolerance on this locker. I'll try this one out in an AX10 axle to see if I get the same binding. If so, probably the locker. If not, then there's very slight design differences between Wraith and AX10 casings around the differential.

Anyone tried the highland crawler lockers in their Wraith?
Old 09-30-2011, 10:11 AM   #5
www.team3sixrc.com

Chris, I had the exact same issues. I am using the HR Bearing race seats too. The best way to deal with this is either use the Axial screws that come with the lockers, Or to rotate the spool several times to leave a small nick in it. and take a hand file and file a small groove. They are very strong and work nicely. Its just the head on the screw is too large and sticks out past the face.

But everything with the bearings seat excellent in the case with no other binding or tolerance issues.

Last edited by team3six; 09-30-2011 at 10:13 AM.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:18 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

i had falsenfest lockers but didnt like the set screw idea. i switched to rcp stainless steel lockers,which i use for my scx10 and the work perfect for my wraith. a little bit more rolling mass,but the weight is in the right place
sloyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:00 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker View Post
I tried to start assembling my Kit last might and ran into a similar problem with my stock gears and locker. The short side shaft doesn't seat far enough for the straight axle end caps to seat all of the way (about 1/16" gap) which would cause some serious binding if you forced it together. If this is the same problem you are having it might not be the locker but the back side of the ring gear recess not being deep enough, or it could be that the flange on the short straight axle was machined too close to the end of the shaft not allowing it to seat far enough. I'll try and look at it again today after work and start swapping parts to see if I can get something to work.
This sounds like the issue I found with the short shafts:
Rear axle short shaft issue?
Katan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:36 PM   #8
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katan View Post
This sounds like the issue I found with the short shafts:
Rear axle short shaft issue?
Yup, that's the exact problem I have.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:04 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I just received my Highland crawlers lockers last night. Unfortunalty they are not installed yet. If I get them installed before you solve this dilema I will post up my results
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:55 PM   #10

i've just had to keep tightening mine. they come loose every few days. i'm hoping when i upgrade all that stuff this problem goes away.
bighemitex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:12 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
Chris, I had the exact same issues. I am using the HR Bearing race seats too. The best way to deal with this is either use the Axial screws that come with the lockers, Or to rotate the spool several times to leave a small nick in it. and take a hand file and file a small groove. They are very strong and work nicely. Its just the head on the screw is too large and sticks out past the face.

But everything with the bearings seat excellent in the case with no other binding or tolerance issues.
Yeah, the bearings spin freely, no problem there. Had already replaced the HR screws with the stock Axial ones. Relieved some of the issue, but still binding, whether I have the inner axles installed or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels000 View Post
I just received my Highland crawlers lockers last night. Unfortunalty they are not installed yet. If I get them installed before you solve this dilema I will post up my results
That'd be great Devlin. They look like a really nice product, so I'm interested in hearing some feedback on them. I'm working on some other projects, so not sure when I'll get back to fiddling around with the Wraith axles. Just had a load of new parts that just had to be installed right away

The RCP lockers look good as well, but $40 for shipping
Old 09-30-2011, 04:19 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I don't have a wraith but I have had good luck with the RCP lockers.
http://rcpcrawlers.com/product.php?p...0&cat=0&page=1

justinart24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:33 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

After many "iron cross" faliures, I took a steel Maximizer locker and drilled it for the 3 x 22mm pin that came with old stock axial aluminum locker. Of course, the lockers are as scarce bonus lines'.

As for the OP's problem, are you using a gasket between the locker and ring gear? If so, have you tried without?
skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:03 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinart24 View Post
I don't have a wraith but I have had good luck with the RCP lockers.
http://rcpcrawlers.com/product.php?p...0&cat=0&page=1

Yep, looked at those. Very nice, but RCP wants $40 for shipping to Canada. Not that desparate yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid View Post
After many "iron cross" faliures, I took a steel Maximizer locker and drilled it for the 3 x 22mm pin that came with old stock axial aluminum locker. Of course, the lockers are as scarce bonus lines'.

As for the OP's problem, are you using a gasket between the locker and ring gear? If so, have you tried without?
Yep, had already removed the gasket. No go

It'll get solved one way or another.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:21 PM   #15
RCC Addict

i just installed hrs in front and rear and they went in very easy with no binding at all work great
VP Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:13 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

installed my HR steel lockers in the rc4wd axles,no problem.
only binding i saw was when i overtightened the bearing cap..
backed off the screw just a smidge,all spun freely.

ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:03 AM   #17
Chassis & Tubework Vendor

Here is one more option for you, the XHD no slop locker: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axles...p-lockers.html

MG200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:35 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Who makes this housing.
MR.VERTICAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:09 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

RC4WD makes them

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.VERTICAL View Post
Who makes this housing.
sloyota is offline   Reply With Quote