Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Stock esc motor choices?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Question Stock esc motor choices?

So today my motor is showing signs of dying on me, little smoke, runs hot, and low rpm. My question is what motor is a good choice as a replacement without getting a new esc? When my wraith was brand new on a 5000mah 2s pack it had decent speed and torque. I'm ok with faster as long as the torque sticks around.
Matthewboerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2011, 10:46 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Try a Venom Fireball 21T double part #VEN1315 20bucks at Hobbytown, pretty durable motor. I'd say it's better than the Axial 20T and HPI Saturn 20T also @20bucks which lasted way longer than the Axial motor but still died from heat. The Venom boasts "a specially designed vented alloy heat sink along with the latest cooling technology to reduce unwanted heat build up" idk but it still runs in my Scorpion. I switched to a Velineon setup in my Wraith, it's not the best answer but it was cheap.

Cheers
Speedweigand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:51 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I'd like to know more on this topic too. I am looking for another motor. I don't see the need for me to go brushless. I was looking at a custom would HH 20t motor but they are about $60.

I've seen some people running the traxxas titan 550 21t motor and that seems interesting because they are only $20, but they are made to run on 14v not 7.4.
strap624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

i'm in the same boat. my motor took a crap, so i'm gonna run an integy 35t for a bit. still trying to make a decision on what to run. most likely gonna change esc to a brxl and run a hh 13t crawlmaster. i'm looking for more crawlability not so much speed.
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Very Nice thread
I realy like the hh product and brushless setup but one thing I am interest is to find cheap solution top and continue to use the stock esc.

i burnt 2 brushed motors and today the solder melt on the motor
The temp was around 260celcius its always when i crawled.

I Will test with a 14t pinion.
philgoods9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:58 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I would consider the HH motor, biggest thing here is a 20T will not live long with the stock gearing, or really anything close to it IMO. I spent 60$ on three 20$ motors and it was looking like a fourth was in my future when I switched to the VXL system, I was getting ready to buy a new one when a friend mentioned that I could use his first to make sure I liked it. He has moved on to bigger and badder things in his SCT, so the price was right.

I also ran a 27T Axial motor out of a Honcho RTR for a week while I was waiting on the first HPI Saturn 20T, and it held up really well, not to mention it already had who knows how many hours on it when I got it. I was running 87/18 with some pretty serious heat issues but it still lives as a back up.

The Titan 550, tried that one too... I "assumed" they meant up to 14volts lol. On a fresh 2S pack it looked like a hopelessly dead battery. On 3S it almost worked ok but not really, so If you have a bba (billybadass) esc that will run 4s it should be fine. Oh and you will have to dremel a little plastic out of the way for it to fit, only takes a sec.

I run 87/14-16 on 3S with the Velineon, with the 16t pinion making it run kinda hot.

The Fireball in the Scorpion runs 87/16 on 2S and gets smoldering hot while crawling, it's fine playing about the yard though. It has 2.2's on it btw

I think some of my problem is I run 5000mah 2S packs and 4000mah 3S. Worse case scenario I still get 45min run times. Maybe the stock stuff would be fine with some nice Ni-cad packs idk.

I have seen some pics of guys drilling holes in the interior over the motor to let some heat out, but that's a last resort I like my interior.

My next step is probably a Holmes esc so I can have the drag brake when I'm crawling. I've read many good things about his setups, but haven't tried any of it personally.

Good luck, I hope this helps
Speedweigand is offline   Reply With Quote