Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: VXL3s esc. Where did u put it

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default VXL3s esc. Where did u put it

Im havin a hard time deciding where to put my vxl3, i have my battery up front right now and its becoming a pain in tha ass to locate the waterproof box from my slash ..... is there really much benefit having the batt under the hood? or should i revert back to stock locations for easy assembly....
Thanks
Elliott000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2011, 09:13 PM   #2
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott000 View Post
Im havin a hard time deciding where to put my vxl3, i have my battery up front right now and its becoming a pain in tha ass to locate the waterproof box from my slash ..... is there really much benefit having the batt under the hood? or should i revert back to stock locations for easy assembly....
Thanks
There is a lot of benefit to the battery up front for crawling. Not as much for high speed though which is all the VXL is good for. I ran the ESC in the rear with the battery. Look at my build thread.

I hated the VXL setup though, only ran it a couple weeks.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:36 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

What do you suggest Harley, fried stock esc on 3s and have gone through a couple motors.... drive train is beefy MIP shafts and robinson gears in trans. I wont be crawling i have the xr10 for than just want to thrash some trails with decent power and figured the vxl would be alright.
Elliott000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:00 PM   #4
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott000 View Post
What do you suggest Harley, fried stock esc on 3s and have gone through a couple motors.... drive train is beefy MIP shafts and robinson gears in trans. I wont be crawling i have the xr10 for than just want to thrash some trails with decent power and figured the vxl would be alright.
I bought it because it was waterproof but the lack of drag brake was terrible. Use the VXL motor and a Castle ESC would be a better setup. Best would be a sensored motor and ESC setup though. 13.5t Tekin is a sweet balance of speed and low speed ability. Perfect for trail driving IMO.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:23 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
I bought it because it was waterproof but the lack of drag brake was terrible. Use the VXL motor and a Castle ESC would be a better setup. Best would be a sensored motor and ESC setup though. 13.5t Tekin is a sweet balance of speed and low speed ability. Perfect for trail driving IMO.
Sweet... 13.5 duo II, LRP SPX....?? Right now, a 2-s ..but as soon as some funds get available a BEC is in order, and I have plenty of 3-s batts
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:24 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Cheers,
From Wraith

The BEC, LED controller, radio and antenna are in a non-lubricated rubba behind the esc.
I made a battery extension cable that runs under the interior, The actual battery plug is in front of the rear axle and I tuck the connector on the opposite side of the driveshaft.
From Wraith

Tonneau cover just velcros to the pack.
Speedweigand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:48 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Hey Harley hows the Tekin 13.5t compare to the Velineon in the power dept?
Old 10-12-2011, 06:56 AM   #8
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedweigand View Post
Hey Harley hows the Tekin 13.5t compare to the Velineon in the power dept?
About the same I guess. Not something I really noticed a big difference on. It may have been because I was just cussing the VXL any time I was driving it anywhere but on pavement
Old 10-13-2011, 12:10 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
About the same I guess. Not something I really noticed a big difference on. It may have been because I was just cussing the VXL any time I was driving it anywhere but on pavement
Thanks, good to know. Based on that I think I'm going to definitely buy an esc first and get my drag back. I'm happy with the power and I have it geared low enough that it doesn't chug.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Default Re: VXL3s esc. Where did u put it

I tossed mine all the way in the rear. I am planning on replacing the VLX3S motor with a sensored 13.5 I am replacing in my race T4.1FT with a new 10.5. You can run sensor wire to the VLX3S ESC there is a cover up front on the bottom the wire plugs into.

WrenchHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Default Re: VXL3s esc. Where did u put it

put that speedo in trianing mode on a 3 cell and give it a try. That was the first motor and esc in my wraith, and I kinda miss it. when you set it up in training mode it gets waaaay smoother. yet cuts the speed near 1/2 geared right it works ok on the rocks, not as good as a sensored but not bad. put the 3 cell toit in training mode and it is a blast you got it might as well try it!
notfastenuff is offline   Reply With Quote