RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial Wraith (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/)
-   -   Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added! (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/346212-choosing-motor-esc-your-wraith-gearing-added.html)

Plyfold 08-31-2012 02:59 PM

Re: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

Cheers bud, that was my plan. big thumbs up to the support you offer here. are you aware of anywhere in the UK that can support me in my quest for parts? Or even a reliable US site that is prepared to ship to the UK. I'll probably keep the setup while i save up for parts and then place a big order for many items in one go.

Harley 08-31-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plyfold (Post 3895361)
Cheers bud, that was my plan. big thumbs up to the support you offer here. are you aware of anywhere in the UK that can support me in my quest for parts? Or even a reliable US site that is prepared to ship to the UK. I'll probably keep the setup while i save up for parts and then place a big order for many items in one go.

I have never done any research on UK shops, sorry there.

As far as international shipping, I am sure RC Rock Crawlers - TCS Crawlers or www.rpphobby.com will ship overseas. For electronics, holmeshobbies.com will ship overseas, John is very accomodating, send him an email if you need help. Otherwise, I hit TCS first for anything I can buy, then go to RPP. All of them are great guys to work with "thumbsup"

Plyfold 09-02-2012 09:35 AM

I think I've decided against the Pro4 as I personally see that much power as overkill, and don't want to have to upgrade all these parts. Instead I think my choice will be the Tekin redline 13.5 or possibly 17.5. I'll mainly be using it for trail running, any crawling will probably be only what's encountered on trails, and maybe a bit in the garden. Would the 17.5 have sufficient speed to take off over small jumps and race uphill or do I need the 13.5? I have MMP and currently 2s Lipo. my Wraith kit is on its way with a brushed motor but may decide to return it and get the Tekin from the start.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire

Harley 09-02-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plyfold (Post 3897351)
I think I've decided against the Pro4 as I personally see that much power as overkill, and don't want to have to upgrade all these parts. Instead I think my choice will be the Tekin redline 13.5 or possibly 17.5. I'll mainly be using it for trail running, any crawling will probably be only what's encountered on trails, and maybe a bit in the garden. Would the 17.5 have sufficient speed to take off over small jumps and race uphill or do I need the 13.5? I have MMP and currently 2s Lipo. my Wraith kit is on its way with a brushed motor but may decide to return it and get the Tekin from the start.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire

On 2s I strongly suggest the 13.5. On 3s the 17.5 may be ok but is still feel it would be sluggish.

Duxx 09-05-2012 11:55 AM

Running HH 16t crawlmaster. Just installed RRP steel gears and 54t slipper with a 15t pinion. Running 3s as well. Didn't take the temp gun with me but the whole setup was HOT, motor and transmission. Am I way off with this gear setup? The performance was great, crawled like a beast. Motor was too hot to touch and the tranny case was way hot too.

Harley 09-05-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duxx (Post 3901889)
Running HH 16t crawlmaster. Just installed RRP steel gears and 54t slipper with a 15t pinion. Running 3s as well. Didn't take the temp gun with me but the whole setup was HOT, motor and transmission. Am I way off with this gear setup? The performance was great, crawled like a beast. Motor was too hot to touch and the tranny case was way hot too.

Check your truck for binding. The rear axle specifically. Disconnect the driveshafts and make sure it spins freely.

bmf24 09-05-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

thats 3.6:1 gearing. most people shoot for between 4:1 and 5:1, and a few motor makers say running higher than 5:1 will make the motor run too hot.
try a 11t or 12t pinion, should be much better and will crawl better too.

Duxx 09-05-2012 06:33 PM

I think the gear mesh was a little tight, causing the friction. My radio crapped out while I was testing it after adjusting the mesh though. Won't this 3.6:1 ratio be better for crawling than a higher 4:1?

Dtempleton 09-06-2012 11:35 PM

So i am pretty much completely new to crawling & rc period, & i have done ALOT of reading but I get more confused the more i read & i feel like i know nothing about motors & esc's, i know all motors are different turns for different uses.. so how exactly does it work, i mean is a higher turn better for crawling or is it the opposite? & are there specific esc's for specific turn motors or how does that work? any help is appreciated

tech126 09-07-2012 02:23 AM

I posted in the wrong thread so I'll give it a shot here..

I need a little help with my setup.

Looking to build a trail runner type of rig; crawler/basher type.

I know you cant get everything in one package but just need your suggestions/opinions. I am trying to find a happy median..

So far this is what I have

MMP
CC BEC
tekin Redline 10.5
wratih trans with RR gears/C.I. outputs
revo shafts.
Plan on running 3/4s

I am about to order gears for the axles/spurs and pinion gears for the trans side.

This is where I need your help.

On the axle side...Should I get:

Stock F and R

UD F and R

OD F and Stock R

Or any other suggestions??

I plan on running lockers F/R with 2.2 CAC with tsl
(dont know if wheel/tire size affects pinion choice in rc's as it does in 1:1)

Also for the trans spur and pinion setup. I want to upgrade to 32p.

What ratio would be ideal for my current setup for trail-ability??

I want to be able to run this thing for about an hour on our trail hike without overheating the motor/esc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.."thumbsup"

Harley 09-07-2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tech126 (Post 3904655)
I posted in the wrong thread so I'll give it a shot here..

Also for the trans spur and pinion setup. I want to upgrade to 32p.

What ratio would be ideal for my current setup for trail-ability??

I want to be able to run this thing for about an hour on our trail hike without overheating the motor/esc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.."thumbsup"

really with your choice of a 10.5 you are going to have to gear down to keep it cool. Try 56/12 to start. That motor may be too fast to stay cool for long periods of time.

tech126 09-07-2012 10:36 AM

Thanks Harley for the info..

Will get those gears together and try it out.

phase10 09-07-2012 11:45 AM

so does the 56t/14t gearing for the pro4 apply to all 3 motors? i have the 4000kv one, would you still reccomend this? do you know the gear ratio at 56/14? awesome thread harley, thanks for all the hard work"thumbsup"

oh and is all this gearing for 64pitch? right now im 32pitch and 12/64 and it seems like i should gear it down a little, let me know what ya think..

Harley 09-07-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phase10 (Post 3905061)
so does the 56t/14t gearing for the pro4 apply to all 3 motors? i have the 4000kv one, would you still reccomend this? do you know the gear ratio at 56/14? awesome thread harley, thanks for all the hard work"thumbsup"

oh and is all this gearing for 64pitch? right now im 32pitch and 12/64 and it seems like i should gear it down a little, let me know what ya think..

Most of the gearing is for 48p. The 56/14 32p will probably be fine for the 4000 as well, just watch your temps. If it gets hot drop the pinion down a tooth.

GMV 09-07-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley (Post 3901892)
Check your truck for binding. The rear axle specifically. Disconnect the driveshafts and make sure it spins freely.

I noticed when uppgrading to Supershafty topshaft that if you overtighten the three hex machine bolts keeping the two tranny halves together YOU WILL GET binding in the drivetrain. I guess this only applies to plastic housing...
Best thing is to apply small amount of loctite and not overtighten them.

cravo 09-11-2012 08:05 AM

HI THERE I NEED HELP ON GEARING AN AXIAL WRAITH FOR SPEED STRIGHT RUN IN THE SAND.
THE GOAL HERE IS ACHIEVE A BIGGER SPEED THAN AN E-MAX FROM TRAXXAS THAT CAN EASILY GO TO 40 MILES .
THE SETUP I HAVEN (MY PRO 4 HAVENT ARRIVED YET) :(
MAMBA MAX PRO COMBO SCT + 2400KV 4 POLE MOTOR.
I AM RUNNING STOCK SPUR GEAR AND A 28 PINION.
I WILL BE RUNNING IN 4S PLUGGED IN SERIES (TWO LIPO NANOTECH 5800MAH 40C)
SOMEONE LEND ME HIS SAND PAWS DIRECT FIT FROM TRAXXAS SLASH 12MM HEX. ;)
THIS IS FOR A SPEED CHALLENGE THAT ITS GOING TO HAPPEN NEXT SATURDAY IN THE BEACH.
SO I NEED TO WIN THIS RACE.
I ALREADY RE-ENFORCED MY DRIVELINES, BUT I NEED THE PROPER GEARING TO BE CLOSE OF THE E-MAX.
I SAW THIS WEBSITE
R/C Calculations
BUT FROM THE GEARING I AM ITS GIVING ME 24.36 MILES
WHATS THE BEST GEARING SO THAT I CAN WIN THIS CHALLENGE?
THANKS IN ADVANCE.
PHOTOS FOR YOU TO LOOK AND GIVE OPINIONS.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-m...907_204812.jpg
THE MOTOR THEY WILL USE IS THE CASTLE MAMBA 2200KV + MAMBA MONSTER, BUT THEIR CAR IS WAY HEAVIER THAN MINE.

TRAXXAS E-MAX SPECS
Additional Technical Specifications:

Length: 19.125" (486mm)
Height (overall): 10.5" (267mm)
Weight (fully loaded): 10 lbs. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Wheelbase: 12" (305mm)
Front/Rear Track: 16.25" (414mm)
Center Ground Clearance: 4" (101mm)
Front and Rear Tires: 5.75" x 3"
Front and Rear Wheels: 5-Spoke 3.2"
Speed Control Type: EVX Forward/Reverse
Motor (electric): Dual 14V Titan™ 550, Fan Cooled
Gear Pitch: 32-Pitch
Differential Type: Hardened Steel Bevel Gear
Transmission: Driver-Shifted 2-Speed
Drive System: Shaft-Driven 4WD
Steering: Bellcrank
Chassis Type: Molded Composite Nylon Tub
Radio System: Traxxas TQ-3 (3-Channel)
Speed: 23+MPH (6-cell setup) 30MPH (7-cell setup)

Harley 09-11-2012 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cravo (Post 3910916)
HI THERE I NEED HELP ON GEARING AN AXIAL WRAITH FOR SPEED STRIGHT RUN IN THE SAND.

Honestly, gearing for something like that is something you have to do by trial and error. Plugging numbers into the calculator isn't going to give you all the info you need.

You need to get lots of gearing options and go test the truck to see what setup will keep things at a reasonable temperature and such. Personally I think you'll have a hard time against the Emax. That truck has a drivetrain that is more capable of holding up to the power that you will need to reach those speeds, especially in sand. Even a beefed up Wraith is going to have lots of stresses on the weakest points.

Good luck and I hope you do win.

cravo 09-11-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harley (Post 3910932)
honestly, gearing for something like that is something you have to do by trial and error. Plugging numbers into the calculator isn't going to give you all the info you need.

You need to get lots of gearing options and go test the truck to see what setup will keep things at a reasonable temperature and such. Personally i think you'll have a hard time against the emax. That truck has a drivetrain that is more capable of holding up to the power that you will need to reach those speeds, especially in sand. Even a beefed up wraith is going to have lots of stresses on the weakest points.

Good luck and i hope you do win.

thanks harley, but i need to know what do you suggest me, its going to be a run on about 200 meters straight front, the e-max has more power i know but also more weight. What gearing do you suggest? I know its not going to be an easy job but i would like to hear your thoughts even it doesnt turn on the way i expected.
Im just tired to hear those guys wining on me just because i have a wraith and not a slash or a e-revo or e-max, and i want something to keep their mouth shut, just that. I know it will be hard as hell, but i will try it out anyway.
Thanks again harley.

Harley 09-11-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cravo (Post 3910955)
thanks harley, but i need to know what do you suggest me, its going to be a run on about 200 meters straight front, the e-max has more power i know but also more weight. What gearing do you suggest? I know its not going to be an easy job but i would like to hear your thoughts even it doesnt turn on the way i expected.
Im just tired to hear those guys wining on me just because i have a wraith and not a slash or a e-revo or e-max, and i want something to keep their mouth shut, just that. I know it will be hard as hell, but i will try it out anyway.
Thanks again harley.

You are going to need to upgrade the spur gear. Most likely you'll need to do the Supershafty top shaft mod with the 56t robinson slipper. From there get every pinion gear from 14-20t and test each one.

Thats really the only way to do it. I still think that a Slash or Emax is going to be tough to beat for this type of thing. A solid axle truck is going to be much harder to run at speeds like that.

cravo 09-11-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley (Post 3911041)
You are going to need to upgrade the spur gear. Most likely you'll need to do the Supershafty top shaft mod with the 56t robinson slipper. From there get every pinion gear from 14-20t and test each one.

Thats really the only way to do it. I still think that a Slash or Emax is going to be tough to beat for this type of thing. A solid axle truck is going to be much harder to run at speeds like that.

ok i understand that but doesnt the gear ratio will be almost the same???
robinson spur gear 56 tooth pinion 20t final ratio = 2.8

the one i am using now 80t 48pitch 28tooth pinion final ratio 2.8571...
the best that robinson or supershafty is the strenght of the spur gear and the pinion but wouldn i need a lower drive ratio to get more speed?
i maybe wrong but with that set up i will beef up the spur gear and pinion but the top end speed would be almost the same or am i wrong?
tanks for the reply HARLEY
I LOVE YOUR THREADS AND COMMENTS AND I REALLY RELLY ON THEM.
CHEERS