Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: S&N FAB inspired wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default S&N FAB inspired wraith

I enjoy the wraith too much and didn't want to chop my first one up so I did something i shouldn't have done. I got a wraith kit! haha. This one is gonna get the chop and have a spare tire in the back. Inspiration for this build is coming from the S&N FAB KoH build. I have seen a few rc cars based off this one and id figure id try it out. I was lucky enough to win a Tekin 35t motor and FXR combo on rcsparks.com. So this wraith will be similar to my other build except the battery and ESC.

PARTS

Vanquish Upper Link x2
Vanquish Steering/tie rod
Vanquish C-Hub
Vanquish Knuckles
Vanquish Rear Lockouts
Vanquish Diff. Covers
STRC Rear/Front upper link mount
STRC Servo Mounts
Axial Drive shaft rings
Tekin 35t motor
Tekin FXR
Castle BEC
Axial Wraith reciver/transmitter (from my rtr)
CKRC special 208 Torque Servo
Racers Edge servo horn
CKRC 7.4v, 5200mah, 35c/5c

Ive started the build aready and am cloase to done. Been to the local hobby shop a few times. haha, havent we all. Ill be posteing up more pics as soon as i can get some good ones.

Last edited by BrainDead; 11-06-2011 at 06:39 PM.
BrainDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

The axles were easy to build and all the upgraded parts went on with a breeze. The rear lockouts were tight but nothing some elbow grease couldn't handle. Vanquish did a good job with the color of there hubs and diff covers, they matched the plastic so well. I painted all the metal parts from Vanquish just cause i wanted the same black theme through out. I'm going to be switching to the narrow aluminum hubs so i can fit my proline titus or micket thompson wheels. Next to come is the body! keep watch

I did some custom shock work with my old ones from the rtr. Took some 1/18 losi mini springs which fit right inside the axial wraith shocks. So now in have a set of regular springed ones running 30wt and a set with inner springs running 35wt
Old 11-09-2011, 08:14 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Oh man this is going to be a fantastic build thread. I can't wait till the next post............... Oh come on already! It's not like you have a job to pay for the table of $350.00 worth of parts sitting there or anything........ Oh wait.... thats means you have a job and I have to wait... Dangit!!!! J/K looking forward to your build. Subscribed
JimmyJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:26 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Default why the kit

So not to bag on or anything just wondering why buy the kit. i mean you bought a $300 kit to keep the links, trans, axle case and internals along with the skid plate. Wouldnt it have been cheaper to just buy those parts not the kit. Just pointing that out if there is a significant reason let me know and good luck with the build im intrested to see how this thing turns out.
TheDude530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:17 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

A lot of times its simply so you get all the necessary hardware...and the parts you don't use can be sold here on RCC to help out with the cost of the upgrades!
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:20 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Looks like you got some plans for this build can't wait to see what you come up with. Great start
dubAron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:02 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittybitty View Post
A lot of times its simply so you get all the necessary hardware...and the parts you don't use can be sold here on RCC to help out with the cost of the upgrades!
ohhh now i get it at least there is a demand for the other wraith parts.
TheDude530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:34 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayz240 View Post
Oh man this is going to be a fantastic build thread. I can't wait till the next post............... Oh come on already! It's not like you have a job to pay for the table of $350.00 worth of parts sitting there or anything........ Oh wait.... thats means you have a job and I have to wait... Dangit!!!! J/K looking forward to your build. Subscribed
Patience, all will be revield in due time. haha I got a head of my self a little and need to go back and take some more shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude530 View Post
So not to bag on or anything just wondering why buy the kit. i mean you bought a $300 kit to keep the links, trans, axle case and internals along with the skid plate. Wouldnt it have been cheaper to just buy those parts not the kit. Just pointing that out if there is a significant reason let me know and good luck with the build im intrested to see how this thing turns out.
I had thought about getting piece by piece but the kit seemed like a wise investment, and it was. I will be parting out what I'm not using though. Most likely on here.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:32 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

With out further a due, an update.
Got all my electronics soldered up and put in. Everything is in the back battery tray. I have some accessories that will cover up the wires so it wont look so cluttered. Went into the tuning part of the FXR and got it dialed in.

For the ckrc shock mount kit i had to do some grinding down on the front mounts. (another reason why the pastic cage is awesome, easy to mod.) Got them on no prob after that. I also like the fact that i have to cut holes in my hood, looks closer to the real thing.

Will be posting more later today or tomorrow with pics of the body and tires/wheels
Old 11-16-2011, 05:44 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Any chance you could share the part #'s used for the rear cage mod?
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:13 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Alright as said, wheels!
When I first got my RTR wraith i got the Mickey Thompson Baja claw tires( RC4WD Mickey Thompson 2.2 Baja Claw TTC Scale Tires (2) ). Really liked 'em but wasn't what i wanted for the build. Ended up get the RC4WD rock crushers. For this build though, perfect! Sense its more of a desert truck style and ill be running it on the beach. Around the same time i got the kit I saw the Mickey Thompson Sidebitters ( RC4WD Mickey Thompson Sidebiter 2.2" Internal Beadlock Wheels ). There was a slight wobble when i got the wheels on, so i switched over to the aluminum narrow hub( Axial Narrow Aluminum Hub, Black, 12mm, 4pc ) Runs great now, and just barely narrows the width of the car now, kinda like it.

For those who asked/haven't yet seen: Wraith RTR Spare Tire Mod

Keep watch for pics of interior and panels!
Old 11-17-2011, 04:34 PM   #12

Those wheels and tires look great on there
couch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:50 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Got my panels cut up and fitted to the cage. All the little bumps that came already on there for the screw holes were off. So i taped the panels to the body and used a drill to line them up right. I started to cut a hole in the rear to put light in the body but messed it up, so the front lights and rear lights are gonna be fake. But ill be using my lights from the rtr for the foglights. In the process of painting, rained today so nothing to paint today.

Didn't get to in depth with the interior.But I still like how it turned out. Painted some diamond plate plastic silver and then used an exacto knife to cut out the interior stickers. A little extra paint got on the seat but the driver will cover it up.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:54 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

looking good!

ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:54 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

So i got a little carried away in designing and playing with this wraith that i forgot to post some pictures. And i also forgot to take pictures of it before i started playing with it. oh well. I got the Vanquish CMS and Panhard, painted them black to match the other painted black vanquish parts. Finished up my driver, made him pretty simple. Spare tire is 1.9, and the tire strap is just shoelace with Velcro. Also made a small window that screws into the cage. Mad some window netting, but there pretty crummy, working on different ideas for those. So here are some pics.

You can barely see it but i tried to cut the grill to look like a jeep.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:42 AM   #16
RCC Addict

looks good man! The "link cages" I havent been a big fan of, but this one I like! Love those wheels too!
Going Up! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:23 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I wasn't a fan of the links either when i saw it over the web, but when i did it and had it in front of me i liked the way it looked. It holds the 1.9 spare real well too, perfect fit. Here's a after a day out on the trails. The transmission started making a clicking noise so i gotta take that apart and clean it to see what the problem is.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:35 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Lookin killer. And i agree - I didnt like it either till i did mine and had it infront of me, Had to do something!
DiEzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:47 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: S&N FAB inspired wraith

where did you get the nos tank and diamond plate !?! thats sick!
MiniMorris is offline   Reply With Quote