Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: stripping hex's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 04:36 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default stripping hex's

After only a handful of packs thru my kit ( 2s & 3s MMP 17.5 tekin ) all of my alloy wheel hexes were jammed tight , not quite turned to the next index but they needed to be turned backwards with a large screwdriver to get them out of the wheels . The grub screws would not hold them on the axle. Anyone have a quick fix ? I was thinking of shoe goo to take up the slack to stop the hex turning completely around and ruining the wheel and it can be easily removed if need be. Anyone tried this ?
Alloy wheels are the best solution I know but I would still like to salvage these wheels . Any reccommendations for OK cheap alloy ones or cheap ones to avoid ?
northkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I've tried a couple times to rebuild a hex in a wheel by using a piece of plastic wrap on the hex then putting epoxy type glue in the wheels hex and setting the plastic wrapped hex into the wheel. Let the epoxy harden then the hex will pull out.. The plastic wrap might be stuck but you'll have to deal with.. I had the best luck with JB Weld.
I had an axial wheel that would swell out and spin the hex but when you took the wheel off it looked fine.. The wheels plastic would just stretch.. I blobbed JBWeld around the outside of the hex.. Once hardened it was strong and is still working fine to this day. Running HB rovers and 7oz of weight added and th wheel is flawless.

Sent from my highly abused iPhone using Tapatalk
madkawi650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #3
20K Club

brushless and 3s is going to kill plastic wheels. Time for aluminum.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:49 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Thanks for responses guys , looks like I might stick to 2s until I find some alloy wheels . I like the sound of the plastic wrap and epoxy trick , thats something I wouldnt have thought of.
15K Harley , you have been busy ! love your work.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:43 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

after scratching around in my workshop I found something that might work . 3/4 " copper tube has an I.D very close to the O.D of the hub surrounding the hex . With my expanders I opened up the pipe a fraction and it is a super tight fit . This should stop the plastic expanding and letting the hex spin. On a side note , expanded 1/2" tube works on venom driveshafts to keep the pins in . Find a plumber for the tools.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:30 PM   #6

Default Re: stripping hex's

Watch RCSparks's video on the Axial Wraith's (Black widow) he has gmade beadlocks that he runs on it. he stated that hes used them for a whole year and then it finally stripped but that was on a 3s lipo. he also states that when you crawl with lipos you need to upgrade to aluminum especially in these parts of the rig.
2HicksRC is offline   Reply With Quote