Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: 4WS help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default 4WS help

Hi guys,

I am getting a wraith for christmas and the first upgrade will hopefully be 4WS. setting it up would be pretty simple, i just dont know what exactly i need, can you guys help me list all the stuff?

Thanks,
Joel
joelKID984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGG View Post
4WS parts stock: 2x 10x15 bearings $6, 2x 5x11 bearings $4, Axial servo mount plate $7, Steering axles $25 ($35 universals), c-hubs $6, knuckles $9, servo $25, servo arm $10, tie rod drag link $11.
Total= $108

+ reversing y harness $10 or different Tx with 3 or more channels perferably with a 3 position aux switch $100-250.

It adds up pretty quick.

And if you run aluminum/quality parts it gets pricey.

4WS parts bombproof: 2x 10x15 bearings $6, 2x 5x11 bearings $4, Axial servo mount plate $7, universals $35, VP c-hubs $40, VP knuckles $35, Hitec 300+oz servo $100+, Robitironic servo arm $12, VP tie rod drag link $27.
Total= $266
+ futaba 4pl $229.
but so worth it! This mod and my new tekin pro4 4 pole motor made me finally like this truck!!
ebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebomb View Post
but so worth it! This mod and my new tekin pro4 4 pole motor made me finally like this truck!!

I just ordered the parts for it myself! What you can do to save cash is buy aluminum parts for the front end and just put the plastic parts in the rear end. So purchase aluminum c-hubs, knuckles, stronger servo, universals, metal steering arms and so on. Then just put the stock plastic parts and the old servo in the back. The first upgrade no matter what is the universals! The stock c-cups and dog bones will often destroy the stock plastic parts.
Eoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:59 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
I just ordered the parts for it myself! What you can do to save cash is buy aluminum parts for the front end and just put the plastic parts in the rear end. So purchase aluminum c-hubs, knuckles, stronger servo, universals, metal steering arms and so on. Then just put the stock plastic parts and the old servo in the back. The first upgrade no matter what is the universals! The stock c-cups and dog bones will often destroy the stock plastic parts.
One point to mention. While we tend to break more front end parts its because there are more moving parts to break. The rear is normally a straight axle and pretty strong. Think how many times on a climb most of the weight is on the rear and the whole rig is bouncing on them as the foams wrap up and release with 8% of the weight of your wraith on that axle.... Just food for thought.
WarTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:41 PM   #5

Plus I would be worried about the stock steering servo being reliable. I just stripped mine out after my 3rd run. A good quality one is a definite for me.
Evil_s10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:51 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

heyy guys, thanks for the help. its been so helpful. thanks EGG to start off, i am most probally going with the some of VP parts, for durability. i am going tobuy all this stuff this weekend. Eion and wartrader, thanks for the tips. good work guys.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarTrader View Post
One point to mention. While we tend to break more front end parts its because there are more moving parts to break. The rear is normally a straight axle and pretty strong. Think how many times on a climb most of the weight is on the rear and the whole rig is bouncing on them as the foams wrap up and release with 8% of the weight of your wraith on that axle.... Just food for thought.
your absolutely correct. But if you want 4ws and your on a budget. Its a good way to start.
Eoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:19 AM   #8
Sometimes, I make things.

You will want a strong rear servo otherwise it will tirn easily on climbs and in binds when you dont want it to. I would say on a 4ws rig the rear servo being strong is more important than the front, so if you go that route, you will want to get a CC BEC too.

I broke a stock front knuckle then ended up building a pretty decent 4ws truck, $600 later its a pretty solid rig, haha. I tend to do that, when i break something small, i just replace everything.On my Honcho, i broke the rear 3link mount and then it turned into an 1/8 scale motored, 2 speed, 6.25" tired monstrosity.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:28 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

damn, crazyorigin, that honcho sounds, EPIC!!!! i definetly will need another CC BEC or just one CC BEC pro.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:29 AM   #10

I am running my 2 8711 servos off one CC BEC and it is working fine, i dont think 2 are necessary, it will send the same voltage to both servos. I have seen people running 2 BEC's but they usually use the 2nd one to control power to lights or a winch, one for steering duties should be adequate. If you buy one from Holmes Hobbies, he will program it to whatever voltage you want, if you dont have a Castle Link it is a nice option to have.

I have torn back into the "honcho", it isnt really a honch anymore tho, pretty much all thats left from it is the framerails and a couple crossbraces, i should have some updates soon. It basically tries to destroy itself evreytime you hit the throttle, especially with how i drive. I thought my axles were beefy but i am working on reuilding them and they are pretty torn up, twisted rear axleshafts, and a curly Felsenfest CVD up front, but its not thier fault, it is really pushing the boundaries with the tires, and 2200kv 1/8 scale setup, plus i drive like a fool. I should have updates on that project and my Wraith soon, the "honcho" is basically a Mud dragster/Megatruck themed rig ("Hill'n'Hole Heavy Hitter" in FOFF section) , i am going for more of a crawler style with the Wraith.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:31 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

nice man, thats what i want my wraith for, like a crawler/basher. I just checked bout holmes hobbies setting a voltage, that sic. i think ill definetely go with them. i have no idea what voltage ill need though, what do you think ill need? ill run the two servos off it?
Old 11-30-2011, 10:11 PM   #12

That really depends on the servos you choose to run. If you choose a high end powerfull set of servos, like something 300oz or more you should be able to run them off 7.4volts, i am running my 8711's on 7.4, that is pretty much the max voltage most any 1/10 scale servo will handle. Whichever servos you choose, you should be able to find the recommended voltage for that servo in the manufacturers specs. Running them at a lower voltage will be easier on them, less heat and abuse, but you will suffer power shortage. I had forgotten to set the voltage on my servos initially and they were not very strong, not much stronger than the 2075's were running off the ESC's power but after setting them to 7.4 they are beastly.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:37 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

thanks for all the advice guys, big help

Tags
4ws, wraith