Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Got My Wraith Today...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2011, 02:30 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Got My Wraith Today...

Is it just me, or is the 20T motor just beyond out of place in the Wraith? I drove it for maybe 1 minute, and shut it off to never drive it with this motor again. Threw in a 35T motor I had, better but still inappropriate. Probably just going to get a 55T motor and see how that goes.

Why try to run a solid axle truck at speeds like this? No matter what suspension you run, you still have a large amount of unsprung weight that was never meant to be run at speed. Out of the box in my opinion: Pointless to even drive.

I see a lot of potential here, and am not upset I bought it, but it is as if there were two different groups in the design process:

1.) An advanced group of engineers that designed the suspension, and chassis to make a very versatile vehicle.

2.) The group of 8 year old kids that was allowed to choose the powerplant for this rig.

I have not been this confused since I got an RTR HPI buggy a few years ago that came with a 35T motor! It's as if you get the occasional engineer that has never actually driven an RC car, and does not understand what the "Turn" of a motor actually equates to speed/torque wise.

Last edited by NFA Fabrication; 12-02-2011 at 02:38 AM.
NFA Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2011, 06:09 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

I agree. The very first thing I did was change the motor to a 45t.
OKJeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:00 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

yes i agree they came up with a very not clever way of you breaking everything as soon as you leave the carpet. i overexagerely lowered my pinion and spur gearing and will be going with the 55t as soon as funds are available. and just a tip since yours is still brand new im all about crawling at very low speeds to keep from breaking but go ahead and swap urr plastic knuckles with aluminum ones asap cause no amount of babying them will save them
nuggsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:36 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Did you change your gearing when you dropped in the 35t?
kyrzrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:40 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I saw a guy running one at a local hobby store and I had the same first impression as you.

This is actually one of the reasons I went with the SCX10; it made me realize I didn't care as much about speed as I used to.

Fink
Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:01 AM   #6

This thread is perfect timing. I got mine for me to share with my ~3yo son. Bieng a rock crawler, I figured this would be slower and I can slow it more if needed.

Just got a battery pack in today and gave it a quick test (Not meant to open it till xmas). Bloody hell lol, so much faster than I was expecting. And the wheelies and endos, and end-flips lol. Yeah, I will need to be doing all I can to slow this down. I had a hard time not destroying it in the living room, my son will destroy the whole house with it!

However, that said, I get that is is sold as a 'rock racer' and not a 'rock crawler' even though it can do that. The gearing out of the box looks (in my exceedingly limited opinion) good for blatting around fast outside.

After I slow it right down, I can slowly speed it back up again using combinations of the original motor, pinion & spur gears, as my son gets the hang of proportional controls

Very happy with my purchase!

Tom...
edit: Oh yeah, I am pondering the idea of an open diff on the front to make turning less 'rolly'. If my understanding is correct, I should still be able to do basic crawling like that as long as one front wheel and one rear wheel is on the ground, right?

Last edited by Tom17; 12-02-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Tom17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:09 AM   #7
20K Club

35 is inappropriate? Solid axle at speed inappropriate?

It sounds like you are just uneducated on the genre and style of running a truck like this. Running this truck at nearly stock speed is 100% fine, the only issue is the quality of the stock motor. It is just unable to handle the stresses.

A 35t is great for crawling with this rig, a 55t is too slow and lacks any wheel speed to make hill climbs and rock slabs.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:40 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

when talking about crawling a 55t is not to slow. the idea of crawling is easy when you have experienced it in the 1:1 world, keep from spining your tires and let them bite. you dont need wheel speed if your tires dont spin
nuggsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:51 AM   #9

Don't forget that it's sold as a 'Rock Racer', not a 'Rock Crawler'...

"The Wraith™ is built to go fast and is NOT JUST A LOW SPEED ROCK CRAWLER."

Last edited by Tom17; 12-02-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:08 AM   #10
RCC Addict

^^ What he said.
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:26 AM   #11
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggsmoker View Post
when talking about crawling a 55t is not to slow. the idea of crawling is easy when you have experienced it in the 1:1 world, keep from spining your tires and let them bite. you dont need wheel speed if your tires dont spin
I'm plenty experienced with 1:1 crawling, competition and rec wheeling. I've also been around RC crawling enough to understand that the physics don't translate the exact same. If we were crawling over obstacles that were scale to 1:1 we would get bored pretty quick. I've ran 55's before and they are indeed to slow to be capable of the obstacles you can tackle with a 35 or so. You don't lose much slow speed with a good 35, so there is not really a downside at all.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:27 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

In my wraith i have a 35 turn with a 87t spur and i run a 15 to 17t pinion and it works great. I have been trying to match my gearing with the motor and this seems to be a good happy medium for me.
k goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

I would have to agree with the 35t, I have tried a 45t & it was to slow. The Wraith needs a little more wheel speed than say a AX10 (IMO). A HH35t & 87/16 gearing is what I found works best for me. I use my Wraith only for crawling. Hope this helps
kyrzrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:02 PM   #14

I'm not an expert but if you using your wraith for mainly crawling as I am, I have been very happy with a 20turn HH crawlmaster/Br-xl esc combo geared at 87/18. It's not fast but good enough to go out with the honcho's and do some scale running and unbelievable low speed control and tons of torque on my rock piles. I forked a lot of money in it in upgrades and I wouldn't say it's comp ready but I haven't regretted it once so far. Now if I can get my new honcho in the same boat I'll be happy.
JMiller2065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #15

So I just ordered a 12t pinion, 96t spur and a 55t motor. Let's see how slow I can make this sucker go. I will certainly look forward to the stock setup down the line

I really can't believe I am trying to make a vehicle go *slower* lol.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom17 View Post
So I just ordered a 12t pinion, 96t spur and a 55t motor. Let's see how slow I can make this sucker go. I will certainly look forward to the stock setup down the line

With that setup I would think it would be VERY slow!
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:33 PM   #17

That's what I'm shooting for right now
Old 12-02-2011, 12:34 PM   #18
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom17 View Post

There may not be enough room for motor adjustment with that large of a spur. We'll see!
Old 12-02-2011, 12:54 PM   #19

Yep, I could not find any reference of someone using this setup. But it is a possible option on the table in the instruction manual so i'm gonna just see what happens and report back

Also, the manual says I should be able to use a 10t pinion with that 96t spur, but I couldn't find one in any of the online suppliers I looked at...
Old 12-02-2011, 01:07 PM   #20
20K Club

Yeah I've never seen a 10t 48 pitch pinion.