Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Turning my Wraith into a racer/basher

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 08:22 PM   #1
cnj

Default Turning my Wraith into a racer/basher

Hi. Noob to crawlers here. Need some advice from you who have modded for more handling and speed than crawling. Looking to turn my Wraith into more of a basher/racer. So far, I have replaced the stock ESC and motor with a Traxxas Velineon system using stock gearing.
Here is what I "think" I need to do to get reasonable results. Please give me your thoughts or recommendations on how best to accomplish these.
-Lower ride height to lower COG.
-Lose weight! Tires (I like the size but they're heavy), delete interior, etc.
-Extended axles to reduce traction roll-overs.
What say the Wraith experts?
Thanks!!!
cnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2011, 11:31 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Welcome but you need to realize that your first mission with the Velineon will be to beef up the drive train, read Harley's thread or many others but is seems that with sway bars and and some heavier duty(Robinson Racing) tranny gears you may be able to make it do what you want it to just remember it is a solid locked axle rig so performance wise that is what you are going to get
zyphon68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:20 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

I tried setting mine up to go quickly once (got bored), and it was a roll-over fest.

I would guess you are going to need some much stiffer tires, much stiffer suspension, and to lower it quite a bit. Either way it is a solid-axle vehicle, and probably still suck at going fast over rough terrain.
WraithCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:58 AM   #4
20K Club

Here's a list of things you will need to start with if you want a real basher/racer:
MIP Driveshafts
Robinson trans gears
Open diffs
Universals
Steering links
Suspension links
Sway bars
Knuckles
C hubs
Shorter shocks probably a good idea
Larger wheels for a shorter sidewall height. Maybe 8th scale stuff with a 17mm adapter.

That's where I would start. Overall you're still going to have a Wraith which really isn't the ultimate basher.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:56 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
That's where I would start. Overall you're still going to have a Wraith which really isn't the ultimate basher.
^^This^^ is more or less what I was trying to get at. Even in top form, it still won't be that great for care-free crashing about.
WraithCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:01 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I would buy a Savage Flux if you want a basher unless you have really deep pockets to build a great Wraith Basher and like they said, still a solid axle vehicle. I have the Flux and IMO it is the best basher on the market. The Wraith is an awesome vehicle but has it's place and it is sweeeeet.
Beej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:26 PM   #7
cnj

Wow. Alot of good input guys. Thanks. Sounds like I may be starting with the wrong truck.
cnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:58 PM   #8

my friend jay converted his wraith with clod tires and actually raced with our clod trucks does very well

testing the wraith

nosyajg's Channel - YouTube

our worlds final race for the year

RCMT-HI CLOD BUSTER WORLD FINALS 12/04/11 PART 1 - YouTube
bigchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:46 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

If your after an rtr mudder, I recommend the e maxx. I love mine, pretty quick brushed , and waterproof. Mine is modded to the maxx now, but tbh I still fancy another stock one.
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:07 PM   #10

If want a fast badger that won't brake the bank get a slash or slash 4x4 the isn't cheap nether is the max speeding a wraith much over 20 mph isn't that good of an idea
jaxandjokers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:19 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxandjokers View Post
If want a fast badger that won't brake the bank get a slash or slash 4x4 the isn't cheap nether is the max speeding a wraith much over 20 mph isn't that good of an idea
If you want a good basher, I agree with the Slash.

For a basher, you wouldn't really need a 4x4. I'm thinking about eventually going with the 2wd brushless Slasher; but only after my SCX10 starts to bore me, which won't be for a long time given that I haven't had time to open the damn thing!

Fink
Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:21 PM   #12

Default Re: Turning my Wraith into a racer/basher

I have the same idea like this dude, Wraith with speed. Looks like I have to update some things too but I hope is worth the time.
buggy-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #13

thats what i run is a fast wraith. has rx8 with a pro4 4600kv 52/24 gearing, mip shafts and robinson hardened gears strc hubs and knucks and steering and traxxas 32p gears. running 3s 40c lipo with traxxas 2.8 rims and tires. been bashing alot with no breakage except for the plastic end links i figure it does about 45mph
captain kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Here's a list of things you will need to start with if you want a real basher/racer:
MIP Driveshafts
Robinson trans gears
Open diffs
Universals
Steering links
Suspension links
Sway bars
Knuckles
C hubs
Shorter shocks probably a good idea
Larger wheels for a shorter sidewall height. Maybe 8th scale stuff with a 17mm adapter.

Can you elaborate on open diffs?
I am looking for heavy duty differential gears to replace my front & rear lockers. Any good gear or ball diff mod kits for the wraith?
I found it in the Axial AX10 manual page 9.
Any better than "powdered metal" out there? Ball diff upgrade?

Last edited by Dostradamas; 08-16-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Dostradamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:35 PM   #15

dostradamas i have open diffs in my wraith that i got from an exo buggy, thay are pretty much a drop in. you have to use the diff outputs from the wraith. you cannot put diff fluid in cause it will all leake out in no time ( there are no seals to hold the fluid in because of the axels for the wraith) so i used some clay and packed it all around the gears, works pretty good, and handels alot better. if your thinking about durability.... i run an rx8 with a tekin pro4 4600kv on 3s lipo 24/52 gearing and have had no problems with the diffs. i like this set up over the lockers
Old 08-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain kirk View Post
dostradamas i have open diffs in my wraith that i got from an exo buggy, thay are pretty much a drop in. you have to use the diff outputs from the wraith. you cannot put diff fluid in cause it will all leake out in no time ( there are no seals to hold the fluid in because of the axels for the wraith) so i used some clay and packed it all around the gears, works pretty good, and handels alot better. if your thinking about durability.... i run an rx8 with a tekin pro4 4600kv on 3s lipo 24/52 gearing and have had no problems with the diffs. i like this set up over the lockers
i must try this

thanks
Steelfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:07 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

made for wraith if your going to open diffs

https://www.ckrccrawlers.com/ax30390...et-p-3980.html
stickys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:43 AM   #18

stickys thats pretty much what i got, but your missing the shafts that the planatary gears ride on. when i first started looking for open diffs i checked on them, but seen there are no shafts thats why i went to ebay for exo diffs. think i spent about $15.00 for two complete diffs and spare parts
Old 08-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain kirk View Post

Not sure what you mean by "diff outputs from wraith."
Do you mean the locker the axles fit into?
As I see it I need to replace the locker AX30500 with AX80002 then put the gears in. I looks to me like the axle then slides into AX30390b (page 9 ax10 manual) so I dont see any wraith part that I would use that I would call a "diff output"
The Bearings are sealed around the shafts & it seems to keep my diff lube in there, & that is all I think these gears will need.
Good to hear they are holding up to your 3s.
Dostradamas is offline   Reply With Quote