Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: My Wraith is getting SLW's for Christmas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 06:54 PM   #1
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Default My Wraith is getting SLW's for Christmas

This will be my first set of nice RC rims so I'm excited and overwhelmed.

My Wraith kit is currently equipped with Axial 8 hole beadlock wheels that have a huge offset and make the rig very wide.. At first I didn't notice this but I started to notice and it just kinda looks goofy.. It wasn't until I put the stock rims on the truck that came with the kit to realize just how wide the rims I"m using really are. Anywho..

I'm pretty sure I want Vanquish as they appear to be a good American company that a lot of RCC folks speak very highly of.

What rim width will I best off with for the R35 Ripsaws and stock foams? The Axial rims are very wide like 1.35 at least and that seems to work well... Would a 1" SLW be too narrow? What are the effects this has on tire performance?

The hub sizes... I want to go narrow after having those super wide Axial rims. Will the .225's work with the Wraith? The .350's are close to stock width from what I've read, is that what I should go with?

When all is said and done, they're going to be black on black like I already had going.

Last edited by Jus; 12-13-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2011, 05:38 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
This will be my first set of nice RC rims so I'm excited and overwhelmed.

My Wraith kit is currently equipped with Axial 8 hole beadlock wheels that have a huge offset and make the rig very wide.. At first I didn't notice this but I started to notice and it just kinda looks goofy.. It wasn't until I put the stock rims on the truck that came with the kit to realize just how wide the rims I"m using really are. Anywho..

I'm pretty sure I want Vanquish as they appear to be a good American company that a lot of RCC folks speak very highly of.

What rim width will I best off with for the R35 Ripsaws and stock foams? The Axial rims are very wide like 1.35 at least and that seems to work well... Would a 1" SLW be too narrow? What are the effects this has on tire performance?

The hub sizes... I want to go narrow after having those super wide Axial rims. Will the .225's work with the Wraith? The .350's are close to stock width from what I've read, is that what I should go with?

When all is said and done, they're going to be black on black like I already had going.
From what I've heard, 1" is good (that's what a lot of people run with rovers). I heard of people using the .225 but most go with the .350 (from what I've seen).
muddinscx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:35 AM   #3
RCC Addict

If you go with 1.35 you must use the 600's. Width after install was 12" to outside of tires.
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1323880454.242942.jpg
Views: 2110
Size:  76.2 KB
These are SLW v4 1.35 with 600 hubs. Hope that helps.
Maddog Madigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: My Wraith is getting SLW's for Christmas

Do you have rub issues if you go 1.35 rim size and say 475 hub? I was just about to pull the trigger on some V6s at 1.35. Sorry I hope I haven't hijacked a thread. You are asking the same questions that I am.
OSWHollowpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:36 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSWHollowpoint View Post
Do you have rub issues if you go 1.35 rim size and say 475 hub? I was just about to pull the trigger on some V6s at 1.35. Sorry I hope I haven't hijacked a thread. You are asking the same questions that I am.
I was told by vp that 425 won't work, had to order the 600's.
Maddog Madigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:41 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I was told by someone at Vanquish (on the phone) that 1" is the width to get for the Wraith and 350 hubs will make it just short of the stock width, where a 475 will make it slightly wider than stock. I am hoping to get a set of Re-spuns 1's and 475 hubs when they get back in stock.
Land Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:47 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Thanks fellas. I appreciate the info and help. Any idea how bad the stock ripsaw's sidewalls bulge or balloon on 1" rims?
Old 12-18-2011, 11:23 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

1" with 225 hubs
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:27 AM   #9

0,7" with 475 Hubs.
Beni-CR01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:12 PM   #10
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Well I ended up with 1" V4's with 350 hubs. Just got my Ripsaws mounted up.. WOW. Fantastic wheel, I feel like I have ripped off VP the quality vs price is insane.

The Ripsaws seem to like the 1" wheel. The sidewalls look good and are much stiffer than with my 1.3"+ Axial 8 holes. It's going to sidehill much better. Makes the tires taller as well.. Tread is not too rounded either which is good. Stance is wonderful. Servo doesn't work so hard now with the wheels closer to the pivot point. I had never thought about that before, but boy did it ever make a difference.

I'll post pics in the AM.. Lighting sucks and any pics I try to take now would be horrible.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the update Jus.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:43 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Well I ended up with 1" V4's with 350 hubs. Just got my Ripsaws mounted up.. WOW. Fantastic wheel, I feel like I have ripped off VP the quality vs price is insane.

The Ripsaws seem to like the 1" wheel. The sidewalls look good and are much stiffer than with my 1.3"+ Axial 8 holes. It's going to sidehill much better. Makes the tires taller as well.. Tread is not too rounded either which is good. Stance is wonderful. Servo doesn't work so hard now with the wheels closer to the pivot point. I had never thought about that before, but boy did it ever make a difference.

I'll post pics in the AM.. Lighting sucks and any pics I try to take now would be horrible.
How wide outside of tire to outside of tire did that come out? Pic?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:34 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I just went and measured my stock plastic wheels and they came out to be 1.622" wide. I also made a crude chart to help me visually see what the different widths look like.

I assume that they recommend the 1.00 wide wheels which are 5/8" narrower than the stock wheels (5/16" on each side) so that the tires better protect the nice bead locks.
Attached Images

Land Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:10 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

That could be. Nice chart you put up. Very helpful. I wish my wife would let me have mine but she is standing firm. Not until Christmas. So I pulled the trigger on the 1.35 V6 and 600 hubs anyway. This is just gonna be a basher/intro into crawling machine anyway so width isn't super important. When/if I go full crawl, I will build my own. Thanks for the help fellas.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:07 AM   #15
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Someone asked for width from outside of tire across.. It's just a hair over 11.5"

Showing off the new VP titanium tie rod. I tried to bend it and can't.

With the addition of that tie rod my linkages are now all solid. Uppers and lowers are all Revo pushrods which I love they're so cheap and are very strong.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:38 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Someone asked for width from outside of tire across.. It's just a hair over 11.5"

Showing off the new VP titanium tie rod. I tried to bend it and can't.

With the addition of that tie rod my linkages are now all solid. Uppers and lowers are all Revo pushrods which I love they're so cheap and are very strong.
Looks great and thanks for the measurement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Rocker View Post
1" with 225 hubs
That's what I'm liking, prefer narrow track to squeeze through rocks. How's your steering throw? Rub anywhere?
Old 12-20-2011, 12:44 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Wow Jus, that looks killer. Nice job. Mine shipped today.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:58 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Crab View Post
I just went and measured my stock plastic wheels and they came out to be 1.622" wide. I also made a crude chart to help me visually see what the different widths look like.

I assume that they recommend the 1.00 wide wheels which are 5/8" narrower than the stock wheels (5/16" on each side) so that the tires better protect the nice bead locks.
How would the different widths affect handling at speed?
Old 01-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:

Do you have any rubbing issues anywhere with your 1" V4s w/ 350 hubs? Another thing, I read a few members stating that their VP wheels will not hold the bead on the thinner bead on R35 RipSaws, coupled with high torque/speed powered Wraiths.
ussprinceton2004 is offline   Reply With Quote