Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Slipper needed?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 11:13 AM   #1

Question Slipper needed?

Noob warning...
So I picked up an Integy all metal XR10 gear set for my Wraith Kit at a hobby shop while away for the holidays. Now I am assembing the transmission and while the sales person assured me it was a direct metal replacement for the stock plastic set up I am seeing a few differences.

First was the diffenece is between the largest gear inside the trans. Integy one comes with the gear and the shaft as a single piece which will not fit. Fine I guess that gear stays plasic... for now.

Second is that the Integy kit swaps the input shaft to accept the metal spur gear. The trouble is that that shaft does not allow for the slipper clutch assembly to be used.

I have seen a few slipper adjustment threads that mention tightening the slipper as tight as it will go. Another thread mentions running a slipper eliminator shaft/kit.

Do I really need the slipper? If so I guess I toss the Integy gear kit and go back to stock plastic or different metal gear set. If not and i run without the slipper what negatives will I see?

BTW I will be running a 13T Holmes Crawlmaster (in shipping), either 2S or 3S (not sure yet) and MIP drive shafts.

Thanks for any advice,
Ian
rammer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #2

Default Re: Slipper needed?

Is anyone running without a slipper clutch?
Old 01-01-2012, 10:12 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The Integy metal gear set for the XR10 is just aluminum to my knowledge. I run nothing but Robinson steel gears and outputs. The transmission is still the same as a basic AX-10 or SCX-10 transmission just with a different skid and also the housing allows for dig.

Once you upgrade your tranny gears to Robinson's steel idler and Robinson's hardened aluminum diff gear you're going to need Traxxas pins as the Wraith outputs have a hole through them including the axles if you're going to run MIP shafts.

Make sure to lubricate your gears with at least white lithium or I use Lucas Red n Tacky.

After that your drive system is bullet proof. I run with the slipper pads CA'd together and the lock nut screwed all the way down so basically no slipper at all.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Depends on how you want to drive it. If you plan on jumping it more than once or twice, then you need a slipper. If you want to run without then you are moving towards a Tough Truck setup, or rock crawlin setup. For non slipper, you will need to beef up the drivetrain, or drive sensibly like a comp rig.
I have steel gears and MIP driveshafts, but left my slipper. I just torque it all the way down.

BTW, stay as far as you can from anything that says integy on it. The gears you should have bought are HR steel or aluminum. Robinson doesn't give you complete set and some of their gears are solid with outdrives-onepiece. That's not what you want for the wraith if you are hoping to use their dig setup when it's released.
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #5

I hear you re Integy. After all the $ I have thrown into my baja 5B I managed to stay away from them for 2 years. Should have known better but was reassured my the shop owner they were a direct replacement. Oddly they do seem to all be steel and the trans spins quite smooth.

Anyway I think I will switch back to the stock gears with the slipper until I can source some Robinson ones. After some time behind the wheel I may a better idea of what will fit me better.

Thanks for all the advice above.
Ian

Slipper needed? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
10T Holmes Puller and 3s : Slipper or no slipper? utieh General Crawlers 2 12-28-2011 07:42 AM
slipper dman10 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 4 10-05-2011 12:44 PM
slipper love2crwl Team Losi Comp Crawler 2 04-07-2010 03:19 PM
slipper issues - help needed swell searcher Axial AX-10 Scorpion 15 10-10-2008 02:25 PM