Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Proline (Slash) shock install....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Proline (Slash) shock install....

I have seen a number of folks who are using Proline Powerstroke Slash front shocks on their Wraith (front and rear) so I decided to upgrade myself and took Harleys advise and also got some D lux shock ball ends.

The Proline shocks are quite a bit shorter than the stock RTR shocks from Axial, 17mm shorter or about 3/4", but the Proline springs are quite a bit larger in diameter. The upper mounting hole in the Proline shocks has an id of 5mm, where the stock RTR shocks have a larger 6.5mm hole and use a rubber bushing so the stock bushing is not interchangable. The lower mount is thicker on the Proline shock, but it uses a slightly narrower 6.28mm wide plastic ball, where the stock RTR shock uses a wider 7.33 mm plastic ball so these are also not interchangable.

When I tried the D lux ball ends in the upper shock mounts the ball part fit the hole just fine, but there was almost 3/16" of side to side movement when I tried mounting it. So I first tried a cut piece of fuel line, which would work. But I ended up going to ACE Hardware and got some 1/4" X 1/8" X 1/16" #60 O-rings from the plumbing department. They seem to be almost a made to order fit, and I also used a 3mm SS washer between the bolt head and the outside O-ring, for what seemes to be a perfect fit.

These shocks may be 17mm shorter but they only dropped the ride height by about 1/4". And I have to admit the Proline shocks have a more aggressive and realistic look

Unfortunately I cannot test these out yet because I do not have any shock oil right now, and I lost a pin on one of my MIP driveshafts and am awaiting parts.
Attached Images

Land Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Proline (Slash) shock install....

Nice write up. Are the rear slash version shocks longer?
MNorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNorby View Post
Nice write up. Are the rear slash version shocks longer?

The rear Prolines are listed at 118mm, but I think that is overall, as the fronts are listed as 98.5 and i measured them (88mm) center to center of the mounting holes. The Axial Competition shocks are listed at 72-103mm (probably overall length) so the Slash fronts are somewhere in between, I guess.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Those look reaaly good Land Crab. Nice addition.
OSWHollowpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:23 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I've been running a set of prolines on my SC10 for about 6 months with no leaks or any problems , love them . They are a really well made shock and didnt think of using them for the Wraith until I saw this , the only issue maybe springs , the ones that come with them are pretty stiff . I am using the softest springs in the after market kit in my SC and they are just right , a bit softer would be nicer tho. The kit retails for about $19 an end so you have to factor that into the price of them . I would like a soft setup for crawling so the extra springs will probably be needed , trial and error will determine that. I reckon my Wraith weighs about 2 1/2 SC10 's !
northkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

i put those on mine also, had to get the upper balls so i just ordered the proline hardware kit, then had to swap out the lower ball. i like the shocks but the lower spring was way too stiff. so i ordered the proline spring kit and am using blue uppers and blue lowers all the way around now.
cspyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

landcrab - so am i looking at the height of your wraith correctly. a little over 7" at the roof line or a little over 9" ??

Damn, mine is 8.75" - Kit Wraith using stock shocks, inverted lower mounts, all electronics up front. I wanna get mine lower.

And I'm wondering why the PL shocks are 3/4" shorter but you only pick up 1/4" drop??

Last edited by bbking9; 01-11-2012 at 09:02 AM.
bbking9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbking9 View Post
landcrab - so am i looking at the height of your wraith correctly. a little over 7" at the roof line or a little over 9" ??

Damn, mine is 8.75" - Kit Wraith using stock shocks, inverted lower mounts, all electronics up front. I wanna get mine lower.

And I'm wondering why the PL shocks are 3/4" shorter but you only pick up 1/4" drop??
With the stock springs there was s slight droop when I set it down and the roof line sat at 9 1/8".

With the Prolines there was no droop and it set at 8 7/8" I imagine that is because the Prolines are a bit stiffer than the stock Axial shocks. If I find these a bit too stiff with the stock Medium springs, will try to find a couple of the Proline spring assortment kits and fine tune them.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

gotcha.
bbking9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:02 PM   #10

Land Crab, do you have your shock mounts on standard or flipped with the Proline Shocks? By the way thanks for the write up. I'm building mine and I'm at the point of building the shocks. I really like the look of the Proline shocks. I have them on a Slash. Trying to decide on using the stock shocks or upgrading to the Prolines.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Land Crab, do you have your shock mounts on standard or flipped with the Proline Shocks? By the way thanks for the write up. I'm building mine and I'm at the point of building the shocks. I really like the look of the Proline shocks. I have them on a Slash. Trying to decide on using the stock shocks or upgrading to the Prolines.
I am using the Team STRC aluminum shock/link mounts which are basically a copy of the stock plastic mounts, and I am using them (at least for now) in the stock configuration.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:14 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspyy View Post
i put those on mine also, had to get the upper balls so i just ordered the proline hardware kit, then had to swap out the lower ball. i like the shocks but the lower spring was way too stiff. so i ordered the proline spring kit and am using blue uppers and blue lowers all the way around now.
I was wondering how other people mounted these shocks to their Wraiths if they did not use the D lux ball ends. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Crab View Post
I was wondering how other people mounted these shocks to their Wraiths if they did not use the D lux ball ends. Thanks for the info.
I used some plastic shock mounts that come with traxxas big bores. It was same diameter. The next option would the proline powerstroke slash shock mounting kit which also has the correct size plastic offset for these stupid, tiny holes. These are the best shocks I have owned but the upper hole is rediculously small ID.
The reason I did not use dlux on them is the fact that the aluminum on aluminum contact will wear quickly. Then they will be sloppy.

Here they are:

Proline Powerstroke SC mounting kit
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:49 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

BTW Land Crab, I love the use of the Cars2 motor open headers! I was thinking about sticking them vertically on hood of my honcho beside motor cutout. Like a tractor / truck puller.

Last edited by Rig Rocker; 01-11-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I just used fuel tubing with 3mm screw and 4mm inner and 3mm outer washer on each side of the bolt. I don't really like the wobble in it so I'm very glad you posted this write up. I'm ordering the SC mounting hardware tomorrow!!
JimmyJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:55 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Thanks for posting this
SamuraiTrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJam View Post
I just used fuel tubing with 3mm screw and 4mm inner and 3mm outer washer on each side of the bolt. I don't really like the wobble in it so I'm very glad you posted this write up. I'm ordering the SC mounting hardware tomorrow!!
No problemo guys! Glad I could help

I tried that first and didnt like it either. Then I ran through all my spares until I found the traxxas big bore posts, which are the same diameter.
I ordered the proline sc mount kit too, but its sitting for spares.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:16 PM   #18

@ Rig Rocker, the proline sc mounting kit you mention, shall i order two sets for the four proline shocks? Thanks
painter4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Proline (Slash) shock install.... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Proline Goodies For My Slash!! ROLANDROCKSHOP Non Crawler RC's 13 11-23-2008 06:06 AM
proline by-pass shock doudou General Scale Talk 0 03-03-2008 09:41 AM
proline shock a_vdk General Crawlers 7 03-21-2005 04:52 AM