Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Weighing The Tires

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 10:36 PM   #1

Default Weighing The Tires

It is a little late to be asking this question, but I thought that I would do it anyway. My uncle and I both have both have Wraiths (my little cousin does too). We have had them for a couple of months now and we are getting away from stock (finally) Anyway, my Uncle used some wheel weights off of his jeep to weigh the inside of his tires and he trimmed the foam and it's working pretty nice. Well, I got bored last night and dismounted my tires, pulled the foam and I filled them with BBs. I have just over 1 lb in each front tire and just under 1 lb in each of rear tires. Has anyone else tried this, and if so, do you have any pointers for me? I'm fairly new to crawling and any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys, and happy wheeling.
mamcleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2012, 11:45 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Weighing The Tires

Well, you're going to need a real powerhouse motor to turn those wheels.
If you check around on the forum here, you'll see anywhere from 2oz to 8oz of weight added. I have yet to see anyone stick 16+oz in a tire.

BB's could work ok if you strictly crawl, but will likely shift with any wheel speed. It seems most use stick on type weights. They stay put.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
Well, you're going to need a real powerhouse motor to turn those wheels.
If you check around on the forum here, you'll see anywhere from 2oz to 8oz of weight added. I have yet to see anyone stick 16+oz in a tire.

BB's could work ok if you strictly crawl, but will likely shift with any wheel speed. It seems most use stick on type weights. They stay put.
LoL. I already burned the stock motor up. I'm using a motor out of an E-Maxx right now (long story). This is only temporary. I am planning to go brushless within the next two weeks. Also, I am gearing my truck WAY down on Thursday. I like the speed, but I start breaking things when I go fast.

I started out with just over 7 ounces in each, but it didn't feel any different than they were with the foams in them.

I am going to be doing a minor test run tomorrow when I get my tires glued back on, then another after I get my spur gear and lower link. Depending on how that goes, I might break the seal and take some of the weight back out of the tires. The big test is going to be on Saturday when we go out and hit some big stuff.

Thanks for the info man! I am definitely going to keep this in mind.
mamcleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:12 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

16oz. is a lot of weight in the tires, the most I have ever run was 8oz., and that was just in the front, no more than 2-3oz. in the rear tires.
With 4lbs in just tire weights your going to have a tough time on steep climbs, and you better get the wallet out, because your going to break some stuff!
OKJeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:47 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

what they said plus you are gonna need a strong servo to turn and hold with that much weight. I use 3oz rear and around 6oz in the front.
OfnaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:37 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

WOW. thats a ton of weight for a wraith IMO I'm running 4oz in my fronts and 2oz in each rear.

and BB's are about the worst way ive ever found to weight an rc tire. if you do anything more than a creepy crawl where they cant stay at the bottom of the tire and they rotate with the tire causing the rig to hop up and down with speed.
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:57 AM   #7

another member on here, Chase, is running BB's on a AX10 i believe and he has good results with no foams. this is slow crawling only.

but with that much weight? SHEESH
Sixohh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:34 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I hve 4 ounces in the front and nothing in the back..go to a wal mart type store and buy some string fishing weight. You can just wrap the weight around the rims, fast easy and cheap about 5 bucks.
k goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamcleo View Post
It is a little late to be asking this question, but I thought that I would do it anyway. My uncle and I both have both have Wraiths (my little cousin does too). We have had them for a couple of months now and we are getting away from stock (finally) Anyway, my Uncle used some wheel weights off of his jeep to weigh the inside of his tires and he trimmed the foam and it's working pretty nice. Well, I got bored last night and dismounted my tires, pulled the foam and I filled them with BBs. I have just over 1 lb in each front tire and just under 1 lb in each of rear tires. Has anyone else tried this, and if so, do you have any pointers for me? I'm fairly new to crawling and any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys, and happy wheeling.
16 oz per wheel is waaay too much weight and as you've discovered, you will break a lot more parts this way. I wouldn't go over about 4oz per wheel max with this truck. BBs will rust if they get moist, not good....one big rusty mass of crap inside your wheels...lol. Read around here and you'll see that most people are done with BBs, airsoft pellets, etc and use knuckle weights, Beef Tubes, and/or stick on weights inside the wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k goodrich View Post
I hve 4 ounces in the front and nothing in the back..go to a wal mart type store and buy some string fishing weight. You can just wrap the weight around the rims, fast easy and cheap about 5 bucks.
This is my favorite weight for crawler wheels, when I weight them.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Wow as others have said with that much weight your going to be breaking a lot of parts. Your also overtaxing your steering servo, motor, and esc. Your wheel bearing hate you your diffs hate you and if your using stock drive shafts..... I do a lot of high speed runs, and crawl bout a 65-70 mix.

I run no weights in my tires. I run aluminum wheels in the front and delrin in the rear. I moved my battery forward(5000-5400 3s lipos), I use a servo winch, aluminum spools, and a metal front bumper by MG200. I have moved a lot of my weight up front and have not really increased my rotating mass very much. This will keep your driveline much happier with you and not asking for money
WarTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #11

Holy weight. That's sounds expensive. Makes my driveline cringe. I run 8oz in the fronts and none in the rears on my pro-line TSL's. I used stick on wheel weights from work. Have a set of rc4wd crazy krawlers with some insanely cut foams and about 4oz of #8 shot from cabelas for reloading shotshells in them. Good small stuff that stays at the bottom no matter what. Plus my foams are center grooved so there's a channel for the shot to run in. They all run great. Play around with a bunch of the suggestions posted before me. And do yourself a huge favor invest in a set of beadlocks instead of gluing and breaking glue beads. Much better for your tires and wheels plus they look a whole lot cooler.

Tapatalked via iPhone
xLPlushy is offline   Reply With Quote

Weighing The Tires - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weighing Your Crawler Shaun Tools, and Procedures 5 04-17-2009 01:04 AM
weighing wheels keller4200 Tires and Wheels 13 04-28-2008 07:38 PM