Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Novak timbuk2 Wraith edition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Novak timbuk2 Wraith edition

Hi everybody!!

I was just wondering what people like or dont like about the Novak Timbuk2 ballistic 13.5 turn brushless crawler combo (wratih edition).
I am thinking about swithing out the Tekin 35 turn crawler combo system that I got now. I want more speed, but I also want the power and control to crawl some rocks and use it for trailriding.
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2012, 07:01 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Novak timbuk2 Wraith edition

I'd go with a Mamba Max Pro and a Tekin Pro4 3300. Have it in my wraith and is the best of both worlds. Never gets hot and can crawl all day!!! Want to chuck some mud just blip on the throttle and you'll have enough mud chucking!!!

I know one person who tried that novak system, didn't last 10 mins in his truck and he ripped it out. Not enough power and the drag brake sucked. In his words that is.

Just my 2 cents!!!
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I've had that system in my Wraith for about 2 months. It has taken a real beating on this forum, but I love mine. This is my first scaler/crawler, but have done other RC for years. I use my Wraith for trailing, light crawling and general bashing. Top speed is slightly faster than stock on 20/80 gearing. I've got basically everything aluminum on my rig, so it weighs quite a bit. I've got drag brake set at the lowest setting, and it seems okay but not as smooth as the MMP i have on my Slash 4x4.

I get well over 2 hours of runtime using an SMC 8000 mAh 7.4V lipo with zero temp issues. It is a plug and play system, with no soldering required except for BEC. Really the only minus for me is the short ESC to receiver lead and relatively short motor leads. Limits install options a little bit, unless you replace them or get creative with installation. I have battery forward with all my other electronics in the rear, with the ESC mounted under the center console above the skid plate. I fabbed up and mounted a lexan "splash shield" under it to keep big splashes off of it It works great.

Looks like making it waterproof might be difficult, but that isn't in my plans for it. It is one-touch programming, so you can change stuff in the field very quicklly if you need to. It is only 2-cell compatible, but I haven't seen a need for any more power with the setup i'm running now and what I do with my rig. Not the best choice if you plan to do alot of mudding or playing in the water.

It has done everything I have asked of it and I am happy with the purchase. Plenty of wheel speed to clear obstacles and pretty good low-speed control.
sdtech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:19 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I went with the MMP and 18.5 Ballistic. It's a creeper for sure. Insane low end control and power but it IS a tad slower than stock. It will hop off a ledge and is as fast as the gooey crawler suspension I have on mine will allow it to handle, but when you hit the flat hard you will be disappointed.
After seeing the same set up with a 13.5 this week I decided I will be replacing the 18.5 with a 13.5 this weekend.

I am very happy with the MMP and it's programability but cannot speak for the Timbuk2... dont got one.
Its biggest selling point was it's versatility. it's ability to run Brushed or brush-less, sensored or sensorless, 2 or 3s.

b

Last edited by BELADOG; 03-30-2012 at 08:29 PM.
BELADOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I run the MMP and a Pro43300, in one of my wraiths. That set up is crazy on 2s it is crazy fun good crawling, throw in 3S and OMG it is a hand full. My other I run a waterproof BRXL and torquemaster 15T not super fast but lots of torque.

I've not owned that particular Novak, but I used to run a lot of novak gear back in my racing days and can consistantly say they never failed to let me down at one point or another.

The company as a whole really doesn't listen to the crawling community. They THINK they already know what we need. The have had good ideas but fail to understand just about everybody that crawls use 3s. When I did 2.2 Procomp everybody ran 3s. Throw in that fact and the fact that everything I've ever owned by them isn't anywhere near as robust as their competitors I often wonder how they stay in business. In the 4years I've been running crawlers everybody I have encountered running Novak ended swapping it out to Tekin, Holmes, Traxxas , or Castle.

I know a lot of people will argue what I've said. Everybody has their own tastes. I'm just posting up what I've experienced with Novak equipment.
WarTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

If I get a wild hair, maybe i'll yank the MMP out of my Slash and throw it in the Wraith and see how it performs. MMP is a good ESC. Love it on my Slash. I'm sure it's a beast for crawling, too.
sdtech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:42 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I have goat 3. 18.5 on 3s runs and crawls great had timbuck 2 not nearly the system a goat 3is
mtgrizzlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:54 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

My buddy just got one. From what I saw the drag brake works awesome( actually flips the truck over forward if your not careful), it's super easy to setup, and the install can be done in five minutes. It's all just plug in and go.

I also agree the wires are a bit short, but the system works well as a whole.

Good luck with your purchase.
tgh117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:00 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

i dont know how people can say the drag brake sucks...mine locks up all four when im on a hill...i have this in a scx-10 i have no issues with it...
briang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:41 AM   #10
RCC Addict

i had the goat 3s with an 18.5t ballistic and the drag brake totally sucked. thats why i took it out. it didnt hold fro shit. as for the esc working properly novak is a hit and miss kind of thing. they either work great or dont work at all. im a big fan of tekin now. thats what i have in all of my rc's but my wraith. thats next on the list though.
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:52 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I have 5 wraiths goat 3 s in all of them i love them work great no over heat run like hell and climb everyrhing
mtgrizzlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:05 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for all the great input!!!! But I got my hands on a waterproof Holms BRXL ESC. Now I just have to find a motor to use. I saw that the crawlmaster was recomended ot the "Choose a motor and ESC" thread. But I cant find any shops that sells them.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:30 AM   #13
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I sell them, lol. I have a stack of 13t arms I need to recharge the site with. When I go to the shop on monday that is the first part of my agenda. Otherwise you can always pick one up as a custom if you are in a hurry to get the purchase over.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:10 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Do you got them in stock on monday???
Old 04-01-2012, 03:02 AM   #15

i know you already made your choice, but i just wanted to pipe in, i have the wraith edition novak timbuk2 with 13.5 motor, i run 80/14 gearing and love it.my only issue was the novak 5a bec wouldnt push a good servo so i had to run the castle. other wise never had a problem, and dragbrake works great once setup.
daithi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:16 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

I Bought the Holms BRXL ESC and Crawlermaster 13 turn motor. How will 80/16 spur and pinion work with that??
Old 04-04-2012, 02:02 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I'll sell you my 2 battery pack old timbuk2 13.5 combo. (I know, you've already gone to a brushed setup)
My biggest issue with the system is that you cant run 3s, which would also make the system what they claim it to be.
95geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:18 AM   #18

Im just getting my brand new Wraith this end of the month and i just want to know about your set up of Tekin Pro 4 3300kv with MMP esc. Do i need to change my stock gears? If so, what gear do i need...brand and where to get them. Thanks!
Slikmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

............I use the Tekin 4600Kv Sc4x 4.5T (SCT Motor) .....runs 3s and Rips!!!!
Controller is the MMP set to sensored and drag @ 50%..........
But, Dont forget to upgarde you drivelines and Steel Gears into the Tranny....
scottanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:06 PM   #20
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang View Post
i dont know how people can say the drag brake sucks...mine locks up all four when im on a hill...i have this in a scx-10 i have no issues with it...
Drag brake is not just about how "hard" it locks the wheels. Novaks drag brake is the worst in the market. The problem is the coasting when trying to descend a hill. They use 80's technology in that department.

Novak is a weak bang for the buck. Smart buyers will go elsewhere when they see what is available for the same money.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote

Novak timbuk2 Wraith edition - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Novak Timbuk2 combo vs wraith edition 091tck Axial Wraith 2 02-11-2012 09:54 AM
Novak timbuk2 13.5 wraith edition questions nuggsmoker Axial Wraith 0 01-20-2012 12:59 PM
Timbuk2 Wraith Edition Problem? Team Jeff Axial Wraith 7 01-18-2012 09:28 AM