RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial Wraith (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/)
-   -   Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/379686-harleys-guide-bulletproof-wraith.html)

azTony 08-13-2017 08:03 AM

Re: Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith

What oil do you use in your shocks?

mikemcE 08-13-2017 08:48 AM

Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith

I think 20w.
But when I looked at the bottle it IS 30w !

Hang up and Drive

azTony 08-14-2017 05:36 AM

When I have been looking at Shock oil the numbers are like 4.2. What kind of oil are people using for shocks?

Ninomaniac 08-14-2017 06:01 AM

Silicone shock oil. 4.2 is a weird designation, it's usually in wt (20-30-etc) or CST (rougly 10x more, but not linear).

azTony 08-14-2017 08:02 AM

Teach me to watch YouTube vids trying to learn how to set up shocks. He had 4.2 oil that he showed

hillclimber 09-03-2017 09:00 AM

Anyone got a recommendation for a better gear set out of the transmission, just grounded mine done to nothing.

Manual says gear set, to be more specific it is the middle gear in the trans. Is that idler gear?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

mikemcE 09-03-2017 09:51 AM

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/hotsscp1000t.htm

Hang up and Drive

Ninomaniac 09-03-2017 10:50 AM

That or Robinson racing!

MaX-D 06-26-2019 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley (Post 3697211)

This is on a whim as I sit here laid up on the couch after being too hard on my ankles yesterday at a comp. I'm doing this as it could be helpful to a handful of people that really feel like throwing some parts at a Wraith. And of course you can just do certain areas as a time. I may also do what I will call "stages" to how I would go about upgrading.

Keep in mind that "bulletproof" isn't a 100% reality as with big power you can still blow up parts, especially wear items (like bearings and gears) over time. This is just what I consider the best available options. There are also options for larger pieces that I will often ignore as my goal is almost always to maintain the Wraiths appearance.

Each post will be on a specific area of the truck. So I'll get started with the typing now. Check back later.

All of the Vanquish and Tower Hobbies links are invalid. Parts must be outdated. Any chance of an update on this?

punkindrublik 06-27-2019 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaX-D (Post 5945782)
All of the Vanquish and Tower Hobbies links are invalid. Parts must be outdated. Any chance of an update on this?

+1 "thumbsup"

odomandr 06-27-2019 06:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what you need. Find this stuff. The model is an older one and support in the aftermarket is fading.

mikemcE 06-27-2019 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaX-D (Post 5945782)

Google by name, EBay has most everything

Hang up and Drive

svt923 06-28-2019 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemcE (Post 5946001)
Google by name, EBay has most everything

Exactly and not a whole lot has changed.

Anything GH on the original list is probably hard to find these days but they were minor things anyway. STRC and Hot Racing still make equivalent bearing caps and I would go for the Vanquish 1 piece servo mount these days over what is on the original list.

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/vps07970.htm

The biggest change is that bushings on the inner pinion bearing is no longer the best option for big power. More than a few companies offer axle housings with larger 5x13 or 5x14 inner bearings that hold up way better. I believe all of Vanquish's AR60 axle housings have been upgraded to the larger inner bearing as well as SSD's AR60 housings and Dlux offers the stock housings modded for a larger inner bearing as well.

punkindrublik 06-28-2019 07:45 PM

Well, maybe you guys can help, because trying to upgrade without links can get expensive. I ordered the Axial 32P spur and pinion as recommended. But they aren't going to work with the current slipper. Do I need to replace the entire slipper assembly to upgrade? Or did I get the wrong spur gear? (no holes for bolts).

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/fH...s=w864-h677-no

eternus 06-24-2021 02:21 PM

I see that this original post is 9 years old and hasn't been updated in 8 years. How relevant is all of this still, what about for those that have the newer 1.9 Wraith? Is the platform so old that I should just look to the newer cars and not bother trying to get this older tech model as a beginner?

mikemcE 06-24-2021 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eternus (Post 6085453)
I see that this original post is 9 years old and hasn't been updated in 8 years. How relevant is all of this still, what about for those that have the newer 1.9 Wraith? Is the platform so old that I should just look to the newer cars and not bother trying to get this older tech model as a beginner?

The OG 2.2 wraith is a totally different beast. I can’t imagine anything that would be similar

Hang up and Drive

lonleycreeper 12-02-2021 05:07 PM

I would go 1.9 Wraith first, then 2.2 if I was just getting into the hobby...

Compared to other scalers...
The OG wraith is big! Wider, longer and much bigger tires. It makes big obstacles for smaller scalers much less daunting. Is it dated, sure, but I would put it up against any current rigs with some mild upgrades and it will stomp on the smaller rigs. That said if there are a lot of tight squeezes in your area, it will probably be too wide. Its belly is rather big, and the wheelbase is long, without wheel speed it hangs up on stuff. That said I wouldn't trade it for anything.