Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Universal joint issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Default Universal joint issue

I've noticed the universal joint on the long axle side has a loose pin, the smaller of the two, that makes up the universal joint. It appears to be tight enough to keep from falling out completely.. It looks like with each rotation it just rubs the c hub and that keeps it in place.

I don't know how long it has been like this.. I've pushed it back into place and it doesn't take much effort... I'm afraid it's going to slide out enough to catch the c hub and I can imagine the carnage that's going to create.

I've emailed Axial but haven't heard back yet.

Anyone else had this happen? I have thought about some heat shrink but that wouldn't last long from previous experience with trying it on driveshafts which much of an angle to them.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Universal joint issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
I've noticed the universal joint on the long axle side has a loose pin, the smaller of the two, that makes up the universal joint. It appears to be tight enough to keep from falling out completely.. It looks like with each rotation it just rubs the c hub and that keeps it in place.

I don't know how long it has been like this.. I've pushed it back into place and it doesn't take much effort... I'm afraid it's going to slide out enough to catch the c hub and I can imagine the carnage that's going to create.

I've emailed Axial but haven't heard back yet.

Anyone else had this happen? I have thought about some heat shrink but that wouldn't last long from previous experience with trying it on driveshafts which much of an angle to them.
I have had a couple sets of universals, and both were not put together all that well. The small pin was never pressed in all the way on both sets. I took them to the vice and pressed it in the rest of the way. So far, so good for me
ScaleReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleReady View Post
I have had a couple sets of universals, and both were not put together all that well. The small pin was never pressed in all the way on both sets. I took them to the vice and pressed it in the rest of the way. So far, so good for me
I bought 2 sets and they were the same way.
JustinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Mine were like that as well. Didn't see any issues, so I built and ran, so far so good.
derek_18mt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:37 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek_18mt View Post
Mine were like that as well. Didn't see any issues, so I built and ran, so far so good.

I just didnt like how one side had the pin sticking out and the other side was half in. It may have never caused an issue, but now I know for sure that it won't.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:37 PM   #6
Jus
I wanna be Dave

After playing with it some more.. I've found out that the pin will come out in either direction, so pressing it in isn't going to help any unfortunately...
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
After playing with it some more.. I've found out that the pin will come out in either direction, so pressing it in isn't going to help any unfortunately...

Is your hole THAT worn out? Dang.... I pressed my pins in when my shafts were new, and they haven't budged a bit. Tack weld that sucka!

Universal joint issue - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Acceptable Universal Joint Angle ik632 Axial Wraith 7 04-28-2012 11:53 AM
Looking for XVDs or Universal joint axles BrainDead Axial Wraith 2 01-18-2012 12:31 PM
Question of the universal joint josebarros2 Kyosho Crawlers 2 03-02-2011 06:11 AM
AX10 Universal joint grimgard Axial AX-10 Scorpion 5 01-05-2009 11:31 AM
bruiser universal joint elvis Chit Chat 0 11-26-2007 08:30 PM