Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Make your own lower links for less than 20$

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Make your own lower links for less than 20$

Hey Guys, I wanted a set of Vanquish lower links for my wraith but didn't really want to spend 50+$ on a set. So after some thinking, I decided to make my own.
Materials: 1/4" by .049 thick wall aluminum tubing. 2) 4x20mm screws. 3) Traxxas revo rod ends.

First I removed one of my stock links and bent a piece of tubing into a slight s shape so the rod ends will go straight into the link mounts. You can make the tubing straight but it will have the rod ends right at the edge of binding.Also when you cut your tubing. If you will use a tubing cutter instead of a cutoff wheel it makes a much nicer joint. I cut my tubing at 94mm if you lay your prebent tubing on a flat surface and measure from top center to top center.

Next I screwed the screw into the plastic rod end. Then cut the head of the screw off with a dremel dipping the screw into water occasionally to avoid melting the rod end. Also I tapped the aluminum rod running the tap in just far enough the screw starts binding when the rod and rod end come together. Also when you cut your tubing. If you will use a tubing cutter instead of a cutoff wheel it makes a much nicer joint. When assembling the rod end to the rod make sure to use red loctite

All this worked out to make some really nice lower links for less than $20. Also the satisfaction of making them yourself. They can be easily polished to a mirror finish with some mag wheel polish. One more thing, if you notice where the links go to the lower trans plate. If you put a thin 4mm washer or so on the inside of the chrome ball it will take all the slop out.

Upper links are next. Hope this helps those who wanted to try this
Jeepfixer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Make your own lower links for less than 20$

those came out nice.
snail78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:05 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Thanks! Can't beat em for the price. Fun to make
Old 06-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Can you bend the tube by hand without it kinking or do you need to get a bender?
Sneakretly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Came out nice? They came out perfect. Wish mine did!
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Thanks guys! I am really happy with em! If you want them to look good you will need to use a bender. The tubing is to stiff to bend with bare hands.
Ohh btw I got my first 3 cell lipo today. 11.1 v 25c 5000 mah onyx battery for 54$ new. It has put a little spunk in the old wraith haha. It pulls the left front wheel off the ground a few inches for about 6-7 feet when you hammer on it from a stand still on pavement. No reverse before hitting it.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Looks like you did a pretty nice job. Hope they hold up for you.
winkscrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Good so far! Infact I put my first 3s 11.1 volt in my wraith yesterday and was pulling a wheelie. When it came down I was going pretty fast. Then bam, I hit a rock with my right front tire. I had already started hitting the brakes. Not soon enough. When it hit the rock it bounced the rear end about 120 degrees to the left. I ran over. Just new I broke something, to my surprise all was good. Whew!
Old 06-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Where did you get the tubing and your bender? I have been using solid brass rod but I would like to try some tubing also.
Moparguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:55 PM   #10
Gold Star Baby!

I've been making my own links from Ti for years.... Those turned out great. Good job.
redrokin00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:32 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparguy View Post
Where did you get the tubing and your bender? I have been using solid brass rod but I would like to try some tubing also.
I got the tubing from my Lhs, they keep all different sizes in stock. I got the bender from either oriellys or Advance auto parts but you can get it on Amazon for $10.99 plus shipping. It's made by Performance Tool #W80674 and it comes with 2 dies that allow you to bend 3/16,1/4,5/16, and 3/8 tubing also you can make your own dies for even tighter bends.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:39 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

You can get the tubing much cheaper at mcmaster.com. I've been ordering from them for years. I made my links with a cheap harbor freight bender and it works great.
dunerinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I will check them out, but 2.50$ for 2 links is cheap
Old 06-17-2012, 07:26 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I finished out the rest of the links and am extremely happy with the way things came out. Not only that but there enduring a new mamba max pro and Tekin 13.5 which puts out some stupid power and tricks that really put the links under some stress.

Tags
aluminum, custom, lower, rod, wraith links

Make your own lower links for less than 20$ - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upper links and lower front links TrademarkJeff 2.2 Scale Rigs 1 03-30-2010 11:03 AM
how do I make or get templets for lower link mount JJBADBOY Tamiya Clod Buster 3 08-09-2008 04:28 AM