Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Got my VP axle shafts!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Default Got my VP axle shafts!!

A new Hot Racing spool to go with it.

These things are gorgeous. Great job VP. They *ooze* quality. It feels great to purchase something like this from a first rate American company.

They are complete overkill for the 35t HH motor and 3s but the insurance they provide is priceless, anddd my Axial universals were quite literally falling apart.

The new HR spool was good timing too. I was taking the axle apart last night in preparation for the parts to come in this morning when I found this

I have no idea when the tabs broke off.. I didn't even notice it, I guess because it hadn't started to spin in the plastic casing yet. First time I've EVER broken even going back to my AX-10 which was very heavy.

New spool is in! I like the bolts that come with it.. A little beefier than stock.

VP shafts are in! It's like a dream come true. MAN, are they tight... They fit about as perfect as a mass produced product ever could.

There is no end-play to speak of either.. You can push and pull all you want on the stubs and they are just perfect. Shouldn't produce any side load on the bearings though, the knuckles went on perfectly normal.

Again, VP.. You guys are really on your A game right now.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Got my VP axle shafts!!

well...im jealous now!! lol
those are sweet as suga' bruh'

congrats on a great product
SwampDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
20K Club

I have really bashed my 11lb rig trying to test these shafts and all I have been able to do is bend other parts of my truck! These things are SOLID.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Harley, what are you using for grease? My first application has been of Tetra gun grease. I've always had this issue with MIPS as well.. Too little grease and they squeak, too much grease and they attract a lot of dust and dirt which basically causes it to grind itself apart...
Old 07-23-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
Harley, what are you using for grease? My first application has been of Tetra gun grease. I've always had this issue with MIPS as well.. Too little grease and they squeak, too much grease and they attract a lot of dust and dirt which basically causes it to grind itself apart...
good question cause my MIPs were squeaking like a mouse yesterday.
bmf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Great news and thanks for the pics! Great to have American company made in USA with quality too!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #7
20K Club

Quote:

The best practice I have found is to run some bearing grease at first. I ran mine like that during the first testing. After I fixed the rig I flushed the grease out best I could with WD40. Then I just shoot some WD40 in them every once in awhile to keep them cleaned out. Very little build up then. Same goes for MIP driveshafts.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I want a set of those!! Well when I break my stock ones..hehehe. Cool stuff VP!!
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
The best practice I have found is to run some bearing grease at first. I ran mine like that during the first testing. After I fixed the rig I flushed the grease out best I could with WD40. Then I just shoot some WD40 in them every once in awhile to keep them cleaned out. Very little build up then. Same goes for MIP driveshafts.
good idea. think i am going to go do that right now.
bmf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

WD40 will clean and leave a light coat of oil, but it's hard on the bearings. I'd use it sparingly.

I use associated black grease, very lightly. My CVDs have always held up really well using that. Regardless if you're getting the rig wet you need to pull them apart and re-lube occasionally.
ev0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #11
RCC Addict

not sure on the Wraith as its still new to me and it has only 1 test run on it but on my NSavage XL i periodically do maintenance on both diffs aswell as rebuilding the bearings. Simply pop the rubber seals out of the bearing, rinse well with wd40, DRY WELL and repack using HD grease. Put em back together and TaDah!

as for the CVDs i use wd40 to clean and lube all the time!
SwampDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:38 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

I just got mine too and damn they are purdy! I wonder if they will build non-steering shafts soon? For me I use moly assembly lube like what you would put on a cam and bearings upon initial assembly. Had a tube of it and seems to stay put pretty well.
sam63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:05 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I use this stuff White Lightning its for bike chains. Works great so far, i just re-apply after its all cleaned up. I gotta get me these cvds now!
Cableman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Yes White Lightning is very cool stuff!! I use it too on my bike and now the Wraith.
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #15
Jus
I wanna be Dave

What would VP say about not using grease on these? Hard to say without burning up a set if they'll last longer greased and collecting dirt, or run mostly dry with a little flush with light oil every so often..

I've tried the bike chain lube that's supposed to dry to a waxy film.. It was a different brand though, supposedly designed by Boeing for aircraft applications, but it does NOT work as advertised... Wasted $5 on that.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #16
I joined the Band!

its kinda like sex, even spit is better than dry...
tom@vp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:15 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom@vp View Post
its kinda like sex, even spit is better than dry...

Last edited by ScaleFreak93; 07-25-2012 at 12:20 PM.
ScaleFreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Got my VP axle shafts!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axle shafts Squadfer Venom Creeper 7 04-19-2009 09:16 AM
Need new axle shafts.... eric113 HPI Wheely King 2 02-05-2008 10:05 AM
Axle shafts onebadtj Tamiya TLT Crawlers 16 11-09-2006 06:12 AM