Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Diff Flip...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2012, 03:25 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Diff Flip...

Just a question about the RTR Wraiths. Once I've flipped the diffs around, I reverse the throttle switch, correct? Not reverse the motor polarity?
Do the Wraiths have brakes on forward and reverse, or forward only (like my old E-maxx's)? I just didn't want to swap things around and find out I have no brakes going forward.
patrol_maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2012, 07:47 AM   #2

Default Re: Diff Flip...

is your throttle channel reversed to make it go the right way? if No, do nothing because its correct. if your throttle channel is reversed to make it go the right way and it goes fast in reverse, flip your diff centers then put the channel back to normal and leave your motor wires connected the correct way. im assuming this is the issue youre talking about. not all the RTR wraiths had this issue,, just most. talking about drag brake, im not sure if it is programmed to have any in reverse but im sure someone else can chime in for that one

Last edited by forbnmad1; 07-25-2012 at 07:55 AM.
forbnmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Ok - why flip the diff spool?

Is this an RTR only thing (I'm thinking it has to do with brushed motor timing) or should I pull the diffs back out of my half completed kit and flip em around?
Dukk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #4

What is the reason for this?
Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:12 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukk View Post

Is this an RTR only thing (I'm thinking it has to do with brushed motor timing) or should I pull the diffs back out of my half completed kit and flip em around?
If you are building from a kit, then you need to put them back the way the instruction book shows them.

Some RTR's came with the diffs installed the wrong way.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Those crazy Axial assembly line workers. Now that's what you would call getting it all bass-akwards!
Jeepfixer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:11 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I had a similar issue. I purchased the ARB diff covers and to make them fit you have to flip in guts of the diffs around but then it runs backward so I changed the switch on the radio and it ran the correct way BUT faster in reverse than forward?? I have since changed the radio switch back and flipped the motor wires to change polarity and now it all seems to work fine however I haven't tested the brake as yet??
Boostmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:21 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath View Post
What is the reason for this?
Judging from what I've read from a couple of threads, word has it that most RTR Wraiths had the diff centres installed the wrong way around.
One of my questions (from another post) was about my Wraith being faster in reverse. The answer was the diffs are installed backwards causing the car to run the wrong way when the trigger is pulled. Instead of disassembling thousands of Wraiths, Axial simply reverses the switch on the transmitter to compensate for it. So cheap fix for Axial = PITA for us to fix. The Wraith is faster in reverse, because 'reverse' on the trigger is actually intended to be the 'forward' direction.

If I had actually thought to check my reversing switch before posting, I could have answered my own question. Atleast it's been put out there for others.

Quote:

It's a RTR thing. If you are assembling from a kit and followed the picture in the manual, you should be OK. (Unless the manual is wrong too)
Old 07-26-2012, 09:23 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostmeister View Post
I had a similar issue. I purchased the ARB diff covers and to make them fit you have to flip in guts of the diffs around but then it runs backward so I changed the switch on the radio and it ran the correct way BUT faster in reverse than forward?? I have since changed the radio switch back and flipped the motor wires to change polarity and now it all seems to work fine however I haven't tested the brake as yet??
If you flip the diffs it will change the wheel rotation. Switching the transmitter just reverses the signal, so the ESCs "Forward" will move the rig in reverse. You did right by changing the motor wires and putting the switch back to normal, because now forward on the ESC is forward on the motor as well.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Check the direction your motor spins and it's timing, I flipped mine, swapped the wires then burnt out a good 21t motor 10 minutes later as it was running the opposite way to it's timing.
Tonysmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #11
RCC Addict

So if the servo reversing switch on the tx is in the "normal" position & it goes forward when I pull the trigger can I be sure my RTR was put together correctly?
Dostradamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Green light on ESC - forward
Red light on ESC - backward
If motor is wired correctly and not reversed, you should be good to go.
Zero timed motors will run equally as well wired correctly or reversed.
Yes, there is drag brake on both forward and reverse with the stock AE-2 ESC.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

okay, heres a brain bender. got my wraith used. but it was an rtr. motor has already been replaced with a traxxas. with tx in normal esc green light is reverse. ive got axial esc black wire to traxxas motor black wire. and axial white to traxxas red. is this proper polarity? im just gonna go out on a limb an guess the axial motor has black and white wires, so my polarity would be correct and i need to do this diff swap. is it as simple as pulling the differential out, rotating it 180* an putting it back in?
dieselmudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:03 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselmudder View Post
i need to do this diff swap. is it as simple as pulling the differential out, rotating it 180* an putting it back in?
It should be that simple, but... When I did mine last night, I found the short axle on the rear wouldn't go in far enough, so the screw holes in the straight axle adaptor wouldn't line up. It was out by about 1mm. With the diff installed the wrong way, it would fit fine. With it installed the right way, it wouldn't fit properly. Same thing happened when I tried the front diff in the rear.
I drilled out the back of the gear today so the axle could sit 1mm further in and it fixed the problem. I'm not sure why it had this issue. I guess it's just a machining fault because there's no shims or adjustments in there.
The front doesn't have the same problem because the dogbone allows for minor intolerances.
Anyone else had the same problem?
Old 07-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty@Tekin View Post
If you flip the diffs it will change the wheel rotation. Switching the transmitter just reverses the signal, so the ESCs "Forward" will move the rig in reverse. You did right by changing the motor wires and putting the switch back to normal, because now forward on the ESC is forward on the motor as well.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
Green light on ESC - forward
Red light on ESC - backward
If motor is wired correctly and not reversed, you should be good to go.
Zero timed motors will run equally as well wired correctly or reversed.
Yes, there is drag brake on both forward and reverse with the stock AE-2 ESC.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrol_maverick View Post
It should be that simple, but... When I did mine last night, I found the short axle on the rear wouldn't go in far enough, so the screw holes in the straight axle adaptor wouldn't line up. It was out by about 1mm. With the diff installed the wrong way, it would fit fine. With it installed the right way, it wouldn't fit properly. Same thing happened when I tried the front diff in the rear.
I drilled out the back of the gear today so the axle could sit 1mm further in and it fixed the problem. I'm not sure why it had this issue. I guess it's just a machining fault because there's no shims or adjustments in there.
The front doesn't have the same problem because the dogbone allows for minor intolerances.
Anyone else had the same problem?
This diff flipping was done to somewhat remedy the improperly made rear axle short shaft. All of these issues have been covered in detail many times and searching and reading help resolve many issues. FYI, not aiming this at any one individual, just there are many threads regarding all of the above with cause, effect and solutions.

Last edited by Natedog; 07-27-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

this was the first i'd heard anything about it. havnt had mine long an just recently started reading the wraith threads.
dieselmudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Lightbulb Re: Diff Flip...

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7zpj View Post
If you are building from a kit, then you need to put them back the way the instruction book shows them.

Some RTR's came with the diffs installed the wrong way.

Fantastic.

The stock RTR brushed motor has zero timing? hm.
Dukk is offline   Reply With Quote

Diff Flip... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
do you need a sealed diff to use heavy diff oil? jebster Newbie General 1 10-10-2012 07:13 AM
whats the Diff, between maxx 3.3 diff and revo diff? 12voltfun Traxxas Crawlers 2 06-06-2009 09:16 PM
A flip to the tranny flip. Can it be done???? torque monkey Axial AX-10 Scorpion 7 11-13-2008 03:35 PM
AX10 Diff Locker working on Wheely King Diff rcpaintworks HPI Wheely King 6 08-18-2007 09:13 AM