Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Super Shafty Top Shaft drive gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Super Shafty Top Shaft drive gear

Is the super shafty tranny input shaft larger than stock or just tougher? When you look at buying it it says you need the slipper for the Slash because it has a larger hole so I'm assuming that the shaft is also larger.

I'm looking at gears and was wondering what people did about the 20t input gear (AX30394). I'm looking at getting the HR gear set because it's the only one that gives you all 3 gears. I wish RR made the top gear too, but unfortunately they don't.

Anyway, does the HR gear set work with the super shafty input shaft?
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Super Shafty Top Shaft drive gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ik632 View Post
Is the super shafty tranny input shaft larger than stock or just tougher? When you look at buying it it says you need the slipper for the Slash because it has a larger hole so I'm assuming that the shaft is also larger.

I'm looking at gears and was wondering what people did about the 20t input gear (AX30394). I'm looking at getting the HR gear set because it's the only one that gives you all 3 gears. I wish RR made the top gear too, but unfortunately they don't.

Anyway, does the HR gear set work with the super shafty input shaft?
RR doesnt sell you the top gear because the top gear of an ax1o/scx10/wraith tranny is already metal and RR designed theirs to work well with it...hope this helps
XJkid93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I have the Super Shafty top shaft and the RRP tranny gears. The stock top gear that came with my wraith kit is steel (AX30394 20T drive gear).
That may be the reason why RRP doesn't make all 3 gears in a set.

The HR gear set for the wraith tranny should work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
2-shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

XJkid93 beat me to it!

Old 08-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I haven't pulled apart the tranny yet, but the specs for that top gear is that it's powdered metal. If it holds up I'm good, just worried a little since I read that spec on the Axial site.

I might just get the HR gear set since its pretty much the same price as the RRP two gear set.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:26 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I haven't pulled apart the tranny yet, but the specs for that top gear is that it's powdered metal. If it holds up I'm good, just worried a little since I read that spec on the Axial site.

I might just get the HR gear set since its pretty much the same price as the RRP two gear set.
IMO the RRP is better. If RRP thought the stock one was bad they would have made their own, think about that also.
XJkid93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:44 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJkid93 View Post
IMO the RRP is better. If RRP thought the stock one was bad they would have made their own, think about that also.
X2

Old 08-22-2012, 09:22 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I don't think the top gear is that bad, but it's powdered metal so only a matter of time before it wears too much and breaks. I'm nervous because I've read a lot of threads about that gear breaking. Is that the exception and not the norm? I'm going to order gears this week and still torn between getting the HR full set or the RRP middle and bottom gear.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I don't think the top gear is that bad, but it's powdered metal so only a matter of time before it wears too much and breaks. I'm nervous because I've read a lot of threads about that gear breaking. Is that the exception and not the norm? I'm going to order gears this week and still torn between getting the HR full set or the RRP middle and bottom gear.
if you are worried about the top gear, buy a second one ... if you are planning to run a lot of power.. than i recommend not buying a kit... get the RRP ONE PIECE bottom gear (eliminates the bottom gear being screwed to the out put shafts).. then get an RRP mid gear and a second axial top gear(just in case).. you should be pretty bulletproof with those gears and the Super Shafty also look into the RRP slipper set up instead of the Slash conversion... AND Lastly... Stay away from HR.. I have never had anything they make.. stand up and last.. CVDS, links whatever its all junk.. PERIOD!
Crash1388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Thanks Crash.

The only problem I have with the RRP slipper is that it comes with the 48p gear. I'm running 32p gears now because of a higher powered brushless setup. What is the difference between the Wraith specific slipper and the Slash one?
Old 08-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I think the difference is in pinion selection. RPP has both 32p and 48p pinions. Even in 5mm for my pro4. Though 32p seems to be for traxxas and more LHS has more traxxas stuff than axial.
t3yf5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #12
RCC Addict

The LHS here (both of them) hardly have any pinions for 5mm shafts. I'm going to have to order a bunch for my next order. I was trying to see if there was a shaft size difference for the Wraith specific slipper or the Slash slipper. From what I've read, when you to with the Super Shafty input shaft, you need the Slash 2 wheel drive slipper because the shaft is supposedly bigger. Then everything I read tells me the same thing.

If the only reason to get the better slipper is for better control then I'm fine with that. But, based on what I've read and put together at this point, I think that the Super Shafty input shaft is the same exact size as stock, but stronger. If I'm wrong someone please correct me, but the info isn't really clear and I'm sure others have ran into this before.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Heres the deal. U can put the Traxxas slash slipper on your wraith. The stock axial top shaft is a little smaller that the top shaft on the slash tranny. So... it will wobble a bit, thus making weird gear noise. The super shafty top shaft is the correct size for the traxxas style slipper clutches on the market.

The reason we use the traxxas style clutch is its easier to find a "happy medium" on the slipper torque. Many use the super shafty top shaft with the robinson racing steel slipper for a bomb proof slipper set up.
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:26 PM   #14
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
But, based on what I've read and put together at this point, I think that the Super Shafty input shaft is the same exact size as stock, but stronger. If I'm wrong someone please correct me, but the info isn't really clear and I'm sure others have ran into this before.
This picture will show the physical differences in the two.

JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Whoa! Beefy is the first word that comes to mind. Ok, I'm convinced. Stock top gear, RRP idler, RRP bottom one piece gear, Slash 2wd 56t 32p slipper and maybe an aluminum case while I'm at it.

Thanks for the picture, that clears it up perfectly.

Super Shafty Top Shaft drive gear - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
best way to join a rwvo drive shaft to the output shaft on the axle TRAV Kyosho Crawlers 12 01-29-2012 07:37 PM
***MIP C-Drive Drive shaft for the AX10...GIVEAWAY*** Rockpiledriver RCP Crawlers 153 07-01-2008 11:18 AM