Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: VP steering linkage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default VP steering linkage

I'm having a problem with my linkage, whenever I bump a rock the linkage rolls down. The plastic ends are getting loose and wont hold the tierod arm up anymore. Does anyone make good metal ends that I can locktite on or should I do something else.
mudbeast2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #2

Default Re: VP steering linkage

If the ends are really loose on the threads maybe pick up a pack of Revo rod ends. There are no good metal ends that I am aware of, most (all?) use a brass insert that likes to pound itself out. Another option, that can be tried with your current ends and/or with new Revo ends is to put a dab of good CA glue on the threads. It's not permanent, the metal tie rod/links/screws/etc can always be un-threaded still and the glue should help your situation some. Also, line up the tie rod and ends so that the tie rod sits flat with the ends rotated all the way forward on the balls, that way when bump a rock it will pivot up and away from the diff cover, and unless the ends are very tight on the balls will fall back into place when you go over a bump
BikingViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:54 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Use some small o-rings on the top or bottom of the ball to keep the rod end centered. Can get them at any hardware store.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:36 AM   #4
Jus
I wanna be Dave

I twist the rod ends in opposite directions so that they force the tie rod UP into the servo arm. Works well.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
I twist the rod ends in opposite directions so that they force the tie rod UP into the servo arm. Works well.
This is the way to locate tie rods on 1:1 as well. I also do this with a R2J Wraith tie rod and it works perfectly.
treys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Thumbs up Re: VP steering linkage

Quote:
Originally Posted by treys1 View Post
This is the way to locate tie rods on 1:1 as well. I also do this with a R2J Wraith tie rod and it works perfectly.
Nice advice, I need to try that now! Thanks

Oh and do you have a photo of this just so it is easier to see what you did exactly? I get the idea but a photo would make it crystal clear. Thanks again.
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

That's the way I had it but it has loosened up, I'll try the ca glue & see how that goes, thanks guys.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbeast2 View Post
That's the way I had it but it has loosened up, I'll try the ca glue & see how that goes, thanks guys.
I doubt it loosened up.. It's probably just taken some pretty hard hits and that's pushed it down. Try setting it that way again and keep an eye on it when you're driving.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:05 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

It is kinda loose. My rig does not go fast, it is when I come down an incline and I bump a rock it just rolls down. I have re adjusted it a dozen times so it is not as tight as when I first put it on.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:01 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

thanks for posting this issue, i had the same question. on my last wraith i went with the 3racing tierod its similar to the HR tierod but it doesnt have the pressed in pivot balls. i used the axial pivot balls with a washer on top to keep it in place. i had no issues with it and it worked great. with it being soild from steering arm to steering arm it couldnt come up or down against the diff cover when i bumped a rock. i know its a cheap tierod but hey it works.
stick-boy-rick is offline   Reply With Quote

VP steering linkage - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
steering linkage sam.oc235 Axial SCX-10 6 01-24-2011 04:31 PM
inside tyre touches steering knuckle / steering linkage murky123 Axial SCX-10 4 10-06-2010 04:46 PM
W/K Steering linkage help!! N.C. Scorpion HPI Wheely King 2 12-22-2009 01:55 PM
steering linkage sector9 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 18 05-08-2009 11:38 AM