Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Diff question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Diff question

I got the vanquish aluminum diff housings, lockouts, chubs pretty much everything but using stock lockers. Noticed the stock gears were worn when I was changing everything over. So I got the axial heavy duty gear sets. Now with everything back together seems tight(when I spin a tire by hand seems like a lot of resistance). I can spin each diff easy seperatly but together things seem tight. I forgot to get the diff gasket, do I need to add that to act like a spacer for gear mesh, could that cause my problem?Or is it that the gears are new and thats normal.

Thanks
Steve
Steve p is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Diff question

if you are talking spinning a tire with the axle not mounted to the rig then it "may" be an issue with something not installed right. If you are talking bolted into the rig with a motor in, etc then it "may" be very normal. When in the rig with driveshafts connected to trans and a motor in it. There will be a lot of gear reduction and motor resistance.

Many of the axle bearings and such may need some seating by running it as well. If you really pack everything with grease, that will add resistance as well. There are a ton of things that can cause binding. From dry axle joints, to binding wheels on the knuckles to incorrect installation, etc. Very small tolerances in these little axles. Leaving them a small amount loose can cause a lot of play. The machining has to be spot on to get it just right. Your rig may just need some run in to loosen up. Give it a short run and see if it frees up. Just like anything mechanical, there is a break in period for things to seat and wear in. Just do a short run and see how it goes. Keep an eye on motor temps. Because if there is excess binding then the motor will tell you by getting too warm. Best of luck!
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

With the Vanquish lockers you do not need gaskets!! I learned that!! Did you assemble them correctly, the front and rear? Maybe they are opposite each other so that would lock the vehicle solid!! Flip one diff if that is the case. It happens to a lot of people, myself included. I forgot which way the diff was seated in the axle and wondered why it didn't want to move.

Last edited by ZippoMan; 12-30-2012 at 11:05 AM.
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Ok I'll give it a little run see how it goes.

I'm using the axial lockers not vanquish.

Thanks
Steve
Old 12-30-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Oh sorry, I have Vanquish ones so maybe the axial ones need the gasket....my bad I didn't read carefully enough. Well you will probably want to upgrade anyway!! Heheheh. They are the best lockers and with your VP diff housings you should have the best, eh!!
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I will get them eventually but for now I'm stuck with the stock lockers. I'll have to hit the hobby store gaskets are only like 3$

Steve

Diff question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
diff question rc2008 Traxxas Crawlers 2 03-04-2012 12:45 PM
diff question goompa Axial SCX-10 10 07-08-2011 03:34 AM
Diff Question Bernard3rd Kyosho Crawlers 4 10-25-2008 09:44 AM
Question about diff kafou Newbie General 6 08-30-2008 03:31 PM
Diff question xjman Newbie General 4 10-20-2006 07:35 PM