Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: What wraith spares?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 06:38 AM   #1

Default What wraith spares?

I'll hopefully be getting my wraith soon and was wondering what spares I need to be carrying, it'll be running 21t brushed. Thanks
lurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2012, 07:55 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: What wraith spares?

Bearings. LOL

TheScaleAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #3

lol how did you manage that?
Old 12-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #4

are you upgrading any thing off the batt? is it the kit or RTR?
Newfiebullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch View Post
lol how did you manage that?
Torque! MuuuuWhoooHaaaHaaHaa!!!!

Tranny is geared down with Robinson Racing gears. Axles are geared down in the front and up in the rear (known as over/under drive), and I'm running a Holmes Hobbies 45T Torquemaster Pro. Add all that up, and 'test' it out on the carpet with some de-lugged 2.2 RC4WD Rock Crushers (take out every other outter lug on both sides in parallel, then take out every other set of center lugs in parallel offset from the outer lugs - provides a VERY good amount of grip) mounted to a good set of beadlocks, and you have a great recipe for broken bearings. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to twist the stock drive shafts sooner than later. It's got so much torque that if I get a rear wheel jammed in a rock, it'll flip the whole rig over. I found that out on accident. LOL Oh... I almost forgot. It's powered with a 25c 5000mAh 3S battery.

Buy it, break it, build it stronger, break it, build it stronger, break it, build it stronger, break it, build it stronger, break it, build it stronger, break it, build it stronger, break it, build it stronger, break it, build it stronger, break it, build it stronger, break it, build it stronger, break it, build it stronger, break it, build it stronger, break it, build it stronger, break it, build it stronger, break it, build it stronger..... you get the idea.

Last edited by TheScaleAddict; 12-06-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfiebullet View Post
are you upgrading any thing off the batt? is it the kit or RTR?
It's the kit version going to run 21t brushed 2s and possibly 3s

@cephas sounds like far too much torque lol mine will be no where that crazy
Old 12-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch View Post
It's the kit version going to run 21t brushed 2s and possibly 3s

@cephas sounds like far too much torque lol mine will be no where that crazy
I'd recommend sticking with 2S. It seems to me that 3S, though the power is AWESOME, pushes the stock parts just a bit past their 'comfort' level. If you want to 'crawl' more than 'rock race', I'd recommend a different motor; maybe a 35t HH Torquemaster Sport 540. It comes in 27T as well, which wouldn't give you the best of both worlds, but would be a great compromise. His motors are really worth buying, and this one is not a bad deal at only $34.99. They're very high quality, and completely rebuild-able. He's on my short list for doing a vendor-spotlight page and product review on my blog. I've never had a stronger/better motor.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Make sure you get some spare C hubs and Knuckles, aluminum would be best. These seem to be most common parts we see to break initially. If you have spares in your parts box you can keep on playing.

Have fun with your build
RPP Hobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpp Hobby View Post
Make sure you get some spare C hubs and Knuckles, aluminum would be best. These seem to be most common parts we see to break initially. If you have spares in your parts box you can keep on playing.

Have fun with your build
And threadlock! If you get aluminum housings and use the aluminum c-hubs/knuckles, the bolts will rattle right on out...
Old 12-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #10
Jus
I wanna be Dave

I run a 27T HH Torquemaster Pro on 3s almost exclusively and my whole drive train is hardened steel, except for the spur.. I tend to have a lot of finesse with my driving and I don't like to abuse my $1000+ *toy* so I don't beat it too hard..

Having said that, all I carry for spare anything is a spur gear, and a couple hood pins. Oh! And axle pins and wheel nuts..

If you want to have a completely redundant backup plan for when you're a mile from the truck.. I'd probably want some plastic knuckles, chubs, lockouts...And hardware to go with it.. If you have a lot of wheel speed a few bearings might not be a bad idea.. But for mine that tops out at about 8mph they rarely if ever fail to the point that I can't drive it back.

You could even carry a spare motor but unless you never inspect it and it burns out on you in the field or you run through a bunch of mud and water and chew it all to hell, I wouldn't want to carry the extra weight around.

Last edited by Jus; 12-06-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephas View Post
I'd recommend sticking with 2S. It seems to me that 3S, though the power is AWESOME, pushes the stock parts just a bit past their 'comfort' level. If you want to 'crawl' more than 'rock race', I'd recommend a different motor; maybe a 35t HH Torquemaster Sport 540. It comes in 27T as well, which wouldn't give you the best of both worlds, but would be a great compromise. His motors are really worth buying, and this one is not a bad deal at only $34.99. They're very high quality, and completely rebuild-able. He's on my short list for doing a vendor-spotlight page and product review on my blog. I've never had a stronger/better motor.

Hi

For spares I would keep wheel nuts, bearings and a set of the pins that go into the drive shafts, (AXA175 Screw Shaft M3x2.5x11mm) the first thing i broke !

Cephas do you think the HH 35T HH Torquemaster Sport 450 has the same top end as the stock 20 T wraith motor ?

I am looking for a motor that will give me the same top speed as stock but more torque for crawling I do realize that I will have to change my gearing and do some other upgrades that go along with a different motor. I currently run a 2S LIPO on the stock setup with the battery upfront.

Thanks Scott
baddley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddley View Post
Hi

For spares I would keep wheel nuts, bearings and a set of the pins that go into the drive shafts, (AXA175 Screw Shaft M3x2.5x11mm) the first thing i broke !

Cephas do you think the HH 35T HH Torquemaster Sport 450 has the same top end as the stock 20 T wraith motor ?

I am looking for a motor that will give me the same top speed as stock but more torque for crawling I do realize that I will have to change my gearing and do some other upgrades that go along with a different motor. I currently run a 2S LIPO on the stock setup with the battery upfront.

Thanks Scott

I wouldn't think so, since it has more turns. More turns = higher torque & lower speed. Less turns = higher speed & lower torque. It would be faster than mine. They have a 27T too. If you want to keep the speed, that may be a better route for you to go.

Last edited by TheScaleAddict; 12-06-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddley View Post
Hi

Thanks Scott
I have a Holmes CrawlMaster 13t in my wraith. Lots of Torque for crawling with pretty good speed for the trails. If you want faster than that you will need to go with a sensored brushless motor.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7zpj View Post
I have a Holmes CrawlMaster 13t in my wraith. Lots of Torque for crawling with pretty good speed for the trails. If you want faster than that you will need to go with a sensored brushless motor.
I ordered the HH Crawlmaster 11t today along with their BR-XL controller.
Note to self - buy some more spare parts...
Now I'm sleeping at the mailbox waiting in anticipation!
LuvMyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:43 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyTJ View Post
I ordered the HH Crawlmaster 11t today along with their BR-XL controller.
Note to self - buy some more spare parts...
Now I'm sleeping at the mailbox waiting in anticipation!
Whew... I thought I was the only one. I call our mail man Santa Claus.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:36 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
are you running that 13t on 2s or 3s?? also how does it do crawling??
zkid009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:20 AM   #17

first thing I broke was a Chub, then knuckle, then lower link (rtr) then front upper shock mount
Newfiebullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkid009 View Post
are you running that 13t on 2s or 3s?? also how does it do crawling??
I am running 3s.
It crawls really well.
The CrawlMaster Pro 540 has a 5 slot armature which gives really good low end control. A 13T 5 slot motor is about the same speed as 27T 3 slot motor. You have to compare Kv instead of turns for motors with different number of slots in the armature.

The rest of the setup:
BR-XL
54T/10T 32P
Kimbrough 54t 32p Spur Gear #129
RRP Pinion 10t 32p #0100

Last edited by k7zpj; 01-10-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I am running 3s.
It crawls really well.
The CrawlMaster Pro 540 has a 5 slot armature which gives really good low end control. A 13T 5 slot motor is about the same speed as 27T 3 slot motor. You have to compare Kv instead of turns for motors with different number of slots in the armature.

The rest of the setup:
BR-XL
54T/11T 32P
Kimbrough 54t 32p Spur Gear #129
RRP Pinion 11t 32p #0100
Sounds awesome. I've been stuck with what motor to buy. Ill be mainly crawling but I want some wheel speed for climbing hills and playing around in trails some as well. What size pinions should I pick up? Sounds like ill be running near the same setup
zkid009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkid009 View Post
Sounds awesome. I've been stuck with what motor to buy. Ill be mainly crawling but I want some wheel speed for climbing hills and playing around in trails some as well. What size pinions should I pick up? Sounds like ill be running near the same setup
If you stay with the 80T 48P spur gear then you will need a 16T pinion.

I stripped out the spur gear so I upgraded to 54/10 32P. The part numbers were in my previous post.

Last edited by k7zpj; 01-10-2013 at 05:07 PM.

What wraith spares? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What do you keep for spares? AC-130 Team Losi Comp Crawler 16 10-31-2009 11:44 PM
What Spares ede670 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 4 01-11-2007 05:35 PM