Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Batteries and charger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #1

Default Batteries and charger

Hello all,

I am new to this and I got my 7 year old son a used Axial Wraith for Christmas. I need to know what a good dual battery charger is and I plan on getting him 2 or 3 5000mah NIHM batteries. Right now I can the batteries (Raceready Brand) on Amazon for $20 a piece (on sale).

Help me out on this!

Thanks,
Jeremy
jebdrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Batteries and charger

I picked up an ONYX dual charger and it is amazing. Can charge a multitude of battery types and sizes. Not too expensive wither and have heard good things about it from other owners, (prior to my purchase).

CKRC - ONYX Dual Charger
offroadace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I (and I am sure 90% of everyone else) would recommend going with Lipo batteries. They may cost more, but the smiles you will get from your son will be worth it. Lipo batteries will give you a much longer runtime. Just be sure you are the one charging them as they can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. Do a search. There is a plethora of information about these batteries and the dangers that come with them.
Boomstk74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #4

I bought the onyx 240 charger and 2 raceready 5000 mah batteries. I am going to try these first and do more reading on the lipo batteries.

Thanks for the info and this thing is easier to work on then my 1:1 buggy.
jebdrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

The onyx unit is great. As far as the actual batteries.. the higher the mAh rating the better. But I'm not familiar with raceready. I think your best bet is venom or onyx batteries. You can buy them new for ~$20 and work very well with no risk of maybe buying a falsely advertised chinese back-alley garbage battery.

If used is an option check out ebay.. most competitive or serious enthusiasts end up switching to lipo so you can almost always find a couple used nimh batteries being sold for pennies on the dollar of retail.

I don't know if I'd want my 7 year old playing with LiPo..

Call me paranoid, but I've seen enough seasoned, knowledgeable hobbyists experience explosions, fires or other butt-puckering near catastrophes to make me weary of potentially putting them in the hands of a child.

While your at it.. order some aluminum knuckles and c-hubs for the front axle. Worth the extra ~$50 to keep you from a potential break down.
monkeymagic9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:01 PM   #6

Hi

This is one of the best chargers out there you can buy :

TowerHobbies.com | Hitec X4 Plus AC/DC Charger

You will not have to buy another charger for along time to come as this charger does pretty much anything and is very reliable plus you can charge 4 batteries at one time

As far as concerning LIPO saftey here is a good link to check out ....

Lithium Polymer Charging/Discharging & Safety Information

Thanks Scott
baddley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:26 PM   #7

I would go to hobbyking.com and pick up some Turnigy lipos. They are super cheap. My friends and I have run those packs for years and never had an issue. under $20 for a 2 cell 5000Mah lipo vs $20 for a Nihm... no contest. As for charger. They have great ones for cheap on that site as well. I run a Protek Prodigy 620 duo off a Protek power supply

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/index.asp

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...S-20A-400W-x-2

Last edited by Cougar503; 12-08-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Cougar503 is offline   Reply With Quote

Batteries and charger - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
batteries and charger snohiker Electronics 3 01-16-2012 08:39 PM
Need some new batteries and a charger 1TONCHEVY Electronics 6 11-12-2008 08:51 PM