Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Servo Centering

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #1

Default Servo Centering

Hi

I have a Axial Wraith that I have had for a little while and I am enjoying it. The stock servo that came with the rig failed and would not center, so i called the good people at Axial and the sent me a replacement servo Futaba 3305 to go on my wraith. When I put the new servo in I also installed a Axial Aluminum Arm (25T) to go with the new servo.

The problem I am having is the servo is not centering back to neutral all the time

1. My steering trim on my radio is at neutral and that is where it was when i first installed the new servo and arm
2. The aluminum servo arm is tight and snug on the servo spline, no play at all.

I can take the horn off reset it on the servo to neutral where the wheels are straight with no trim were it is supposed to be. Take it out and run on the rocks for a while and the next thing i the servo has centered itself to another position. Even if I turn the rig of unpulg the battery etc, and fire it back it up it still centers back to that same spot.

I checked all of the linkages ball links on my rig and they are snug and tight

FYI: I did use the search function and cannot find anything that is similiar to my problem. It maybe be time for a good servo like a Hitec 7955 but i would prefer to use this servo for now.

Does anybody have any solutions or suggestions

Thanks for the help !

Scott
baddley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Servo Centering

I wonder if it could be a receiver problem? That is weird how two servos could be defective in the exact same way?
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippoMan View Post
I wonder if it could be a receiver problem? That is weird how two servos could be defective in the exact same way?
Yeah two servos doing the same thing is very unlikely. If it's not the receiver it could be the trim pot has gone bad. That's happen to me before.I didn't know what was going on but mine wouldn't center. I switched out the radio and it worked fine then. I took it to the LHS and the guy put a new pot in it. And back to normal.
T I N Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #4

Hi

TINY, What part of West Virgina are your from ?

I am not to smart when it comes to the internals of radios or recievers but if the pot in the radio is bad then the trim function shouldnt work correct ? The reason I say this is the when you turn the trim knob the servo still turns it just doesnt center back to its original position like it is supposed to.

Thanks Scott
Old 12-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddley View Post
Hi

TINY, What part of West Virgina are your from ?

I am not to smart when it comes to the internals of radios or recievers but if the pot in the radio is bad then the trim function shouldnt work correct ? The reason I say this is the when you turn the trim knob the servo still turns it just doesnt center back to its original position like it is supposed to.

Thanks Scott
Around Charelston....If your using your trim and trying to center it and it still wont center. the pot may be bad.Because it could trim one way and hit a dead spot the other. Does it stick in both directions left and right or just one?Do you have another radio and receiver you can put in it to test it?
Old 12-15-2012, 09:04 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Are you running a BEC? If not then that servo is only rated for 99oz of torque at 4.8V.

That may not be enough for that servo to rountinely center based on how heavy the Wraith is.

Many run around 300oz+ of torque.

Last edited by bbking9; 12-15-2012 at 09:07 PM.
bbking9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbking9 View Post
Are you running a BEC? If not then that servo is only rated for 99oz of torque at 4.8V.

That may not be enough for that servo to rountinely center based on how heavy the Wraith is.

Many run around 300oz+ of torque.

Hi

My wraith electronics and everything are stock, I believe there is a BEC built into the truck, not sure to be honest.

The servo that is in that truck is the one that axial sent to me as a replacement, so that is what they reccomend to use and give out as a replacement when the stock servo fails I am going to upgrade to a better servo in the future but would like to stick with this one for now.

TINY
The servo only sticks in one direction to the right when it centers. It does not have a problem turning either way though just centering.

I will try it with a different radio and or receiver then maybe i will find out something

Thanks Scott
Old 12-15-2012, 10:59 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Hi

TINY
The servo only sticks in one direction to the right when it centers. It does not have a problem turning either way though just centering.

I will try it with a different radio and or receiver then maybe i will find out something

Thanks Scott
So when you turn to the left it centers just fine then?If it does center fine when turned to the left.Try this. flip the switch on your radio to reverse the steering. Flip it from N to R. Then turn the wheel to see if it now sticks in the other direction. If it does it looks like a radio.

Last edited by T I N Y; 12-15-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by T I N Y View Post
So when you turn to the left it centers just fine then?If it does center fine when turned to the left.Try this. flip the switch on your radio to reverse the steering. Flip it from N to R. Then turn the wheel to see if it now sticks in the other direction. If it does it looks like a radio.
Sorry for the confusion. What I meant is that when it sticks off centered for some reason it is to the left of neutral. It doesn't matter what way you turn the servo it still will not center back to neutral.
I already tried to reverse the steering direction and it did not do any good.

Scott
Old 12-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Check your linkages. There may be a tight spot in it or it might be binding some, take it off and check it. Also add a bec to help power the servo.
hatefulboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion. What I meant is that when it sticks off centered for some reason it is to the left of neutral. It doesn't matter what way you turn the servo it still will not center back to neutral.
I already tried to reverse the steering direction and it did not do any good.

Scott
Does your trim work at all.Even a little bit? I know the trim isn't going to give you enough to center it but does it do anything?And when you do get it back to center do you move it back by hand to center then it will turn again?

Servo Centering - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Servo Centering - Receiver vs Programmer Chiphead Electronics 7 10-19-2011 06:27 AM
servo centering ax10 Newbie General 2 12-31-2010 01:07 PM
dual centering dx-6 joesbruiser Electronics 8 04-15-2007 01:44 AM
Servo Centering/LRP AI Runner USATorque55 Electronics 0 07-29-2006 08:10 PM
self centering potentiometer powertuned Electronics 0 05-13-2005 03:37 PM