Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: tipsy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default tipsy

I purchased a rtr wraith and its still completely stock. Most of my rc exp. is with a rc10gt and a nitro hpi savage .

I love this truck!! So far its what i expected and then some, as i do construction i have a ton of places were i get to put the crawling thru its paces . User error aside tho ive read enough to know its a bit tipsy and would like to address this as i still have a nitro finger at times and will admit i like to open it up a touch.

Bumps

What should i do to make the wraith handle bumps a lil better. I have noticed the suspension does not like a lil speed and the roughs without the truck bouncing sometimes it'll even hop .

Turns

User error aside . To much speed and ill dump ,which is surprising since the wraith's steering does not seem to be the sharpest i've seen. I noticed it also seems to tip on some inclines when i drive sideways ( assuming its the battery position)

So what are some upgrades or mods that you guys found that work for what i described ?
iplaywithrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: tipsy

I think the majority of what you're disliking could be fixed with a new, better, probably lower suspension, no?

Also, the Wraith runs on two solid axles with locked diffs, if you expect it to do jumps or turn on a dime, you bought the wrong kit
MetalNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Sweet thanks . I will look into changing/ lowering the suspension.

I dont want it to jump . one of the things i noticed on bumpy terrain with a lil throttle was it tended to jump. The turn radius is a tad poor but i bought it for the crawling aspects due to the sites i am on . I just found it tipped a bit more then i like and want to try and dial it in for my driving style.

Damn truck and this forum is a bad influence ..... that scx10 jeep wrangler unlimited rubicon banner should be made illegal
iplaywithrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Moving the battery up front helps high speed handling a lot and make's it less tippy front to back when climbing.
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

+1 get a lowering kit and some better shocks. I run gmade 103 mm aeration shocks on mine and love them. My wraith jumps and lands smoothly. Eventually you will want to get rid of the plastic links as they bend and flex a lot.
CRAWLERJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:11 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

i found the stock shocks to wrok fairly well jumping and at speed but ride height needed to be lots lower.

flip the lower shock mounts over and go from there. run zero spring pre load. can also flip the upper rear shock mount over.

she can be noticably lower without a spending a dime. with zero spring preload you could also maybe try 40 or 50wt oil to slightly stiffen it up. i think id try 40wt but this may also hinder high speed drivabilty as the shocks wont rebound as fast on rough terrian. oil is fairly easy to change and only cost a few bucks. may just take some trial and error to figure out what you like.
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote

tipsy - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
project "tipsy" ped453 2.2 Scale Rigs 11 06-17-2011 09:33 AM
my first scale crawler "tipsy turtle" king_crawl22 1.9 Scale Rigs 10 11-10-2009 08:48 PM
little tipsy clodstall Videos! 0 03-15-2007 05:00 AM
Tipsy the stock TLT 1tom2go Videos! 19 08-16-2006 09:27 PM